Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week thirty-five

Robin M

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I

I am guessing that most of us have started / will soon start the new school year, so in honor of that you might want to check out this new Flavorwire list of The 50 Greatest Campus Novels Ever Written.  I have read several from the list and added about ten more titles to my TBR pile.

Out of that whole list, I've only read White Noise.  Quite a few I'd like to read and will be adding to my wishlist.

Wow, on the 50 Greatest Campus Novels Ever Written, I've read only two (The Secret History; The Rule of Four). Some of the titles I at least recognize. Probably top on my list to read (based on some friend raves on Goodreads) is Stoner. I did much better (numbers-wise) matching up to the list The 50 Books Everyone Needs to Read, 1963-2013.

I definitely plan to read Night Film... (maybe only during the daytime)? :lol:

Screwed up with multi post

The Rule of Four is the first one that really caught my attention.  Added it to my wishlist immediately. There seems to be some crossover with this list and 50 great campus book.  Same as the other list, only one book I've read,   There are a few of the authors I've read from the list but not the particular book.  Okay back to work I go. 

Ohhh, have fun!

:laugh:  (about your posting immediately)!

Wow, on the 50 Greatest Campus Novels Ever Written, I've read only two (The Secret History; The Rule of Four). Some of the titles I at least recognize. Probably top on my list to read (based on some friend raves on Goodreads) is Stoner. I did much better (numbers-wise) matching up to the list The 50 Books Everyone Needs to Read, 1963-2013.

I definitely plan to read Night Film... (maybe only during the daytime)? :lol:

Out of both of those lists, I have only read one of the books listed!  I thought I was an avid, voracious reader, but I guess not.  LOL

I've read 5 of Stacia's seafaring book list (A High Wind in Jamaica, In Hazard, Treasure Island, Master and Commander [and the rest of the series, twice], and Moby Dick), and watched Das Boot a few times. Which last shouldn't count on a book list, but there it was. Middle Girl wanted to know why the Swallows and Amazons series wasn't on it, nor Captains Courageous. Now there's a girl who knows a lanyard from a halyard.

Zero on Paisley Hedgehog's campus novels, but I'm pretty sure dh the academic has read 9 of them.

And only 8 on the 50 must-reads list, though there should be extra credit for the number of times I've read Outside Over There.

Finished Chekhov for my 26th book this evening, putting me at my yearly goal, so everything from here is gravy!

----------------------

http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Penguin-Classics-Anton-Chekhov/dp/0140440968/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377567525&sr=1-2&keywords=Chekhov+plays+penguin

TROFIMOV. What were we talking about?

GAYEV. About pride.

TROFIMOV. We talked a lot yesterday, but we didn't agree on anything. The proud man, in the sense you understand him, has something mystical about him. Maybe you're right in a way, but if we try to think it out simply, without being too far-fetched about it, the question arises - why should he be proud? What's the sense in being proud when you consider that Man, as a species, is not very well constructed physiologically, and, in the vast majority of cases is coarse, stupid, and profoundly unhappy, too? We ought to stop all this self-admiration. We ought to - just work.

GAYEV. You'll die just the same, whatever you do.

(from "The Cherry Orchard")

Just looked more in depth at the 50 Books Everyone Needs to Read, 1963-2013 list. My numbers are (including the 'also recommended' for each year books):

22 -- read of the adult books (counting The Book Thief in the adult category rather than in children's); 4 of them were the main book selected for the year

08 -- read of the children's books

09 -- started reading & ditched because I didn't like them; 3 of them were the main book selected for the year

01 -- currently reading (Pym by Mat Johnson)

I have some on my want-to-read list & there are others I have no interest in. LOL.

I've read 5 of Stacia's seafaring book list (A High Wind in Jamaica, In Hazard, Treasure Island, Master and Commander [and the rest of the series, twice], and Moby Dick), and watched Das Boot a few times. Which last shouldn't count on a book list, but there it was. Middle Girl wanted to know why the Swallows and Amazons series wasn't on it, nor Captains Courageous. Now there's a girl who knows a lanyard from a halyard.

Finished Chekhov for my 26th book this evening, putting me at my yearly goal, so everything from here is gravy!

Argh, matey! Sounds like a life at sea is the one for you!

:party:  on reaching #26!!!!

I just finished a novel that I enjoyed; it's classified as YA (Young Adult).

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

"Allyson Healey's life is exactly like her suitcase—packed, planned, ordered. Then on the last day of her three-week post-graduation European tour, she meets Willem. A free-spirited, roving actor, Willem is everything she’s not, and when he invites her to abandon her plans and come to Paris with him, Allyson says yes. This uncharacteristic decision leads to a day of risk and romance, liberation and intimacy: 24 hours that will transform Allyson’s life.

A book about love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the “accidents†of fate, Just One Day shows us how sometimes in order to get found, you first have to get lost. . . and how often the people we are seeking are much closer than we know."

A companion novel, Just One Year, which details Willem's year is coming out in October.  I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,

Kareni

I have read only 6 of the "50 must reads", and not many more of the recommended titles.   But, based on my list of books from this year it is not surprising as I tend not to read modern literary fiction.  Don't know why, but it just does not grab me.  I was pleasantly surprised to see Paul Theroux's Great Railway Bazaar on that list.  I've read every travel book he's written except for the latest. 

Now the seafaring list has grabbed my attention as there are titles I definitely want to read!  I've already read 4 of the 9 books listed (or in the case of Pym, am reading).  I've also read several other seafaring titles such as 2 of the Hornblower series and even 3 of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series (alternate history of the Napoleonic War featuring dragons on war ships!).   I'm clearly more of a genre kind of gal.  The other seafaring books I've read from that list are Master and Commander, Moby Dick and Treasure Island.

I think I should get bonus points for having seen Jason and the Argonauts, a cheesy 1963 movie featuring fabulous Ray Harryhausen stop-action animation of Jason battling an army of skeletons and the Hydra.   I've also seen a few adaptations of Moby Dick, but didn't make it to the opera adaptation a few years ago...

I thought some of you might like to "see" the walk we did yesterday. It took longer and seemed to be a bit more rigorous then advertised. Hebden Bridge was picturesque even from the British perspective. Property is pricey there!

We took the bus back to the village. You should have seen the look on the bus driver's face as 6 departing home ed children told her a heartfelt thank you on the way off the bus! :lol: Considering she managed to drive a bus down a winding hill with 2 inches on each side she was most deserving of everyone's thanks.

http://www.hbwalkersaction.org.uk/walks/5.html

Of the "50 must reads" I have only read 2. I get 9 more (mostly children's) when I add in the recommended ones. A couple are in my infamous pile. An attempt at "Oscar Wao" needs to happen soon because the renewals are ending.

I went through the college settings list while sleepy last night. I don't think I have read any but several look great. :) More for my list.

I was very good over the weekend and picked a few out to return. I read 30 or so pages of my more questionable ones(as in why did I want this book) and moved it to the return stack if I didn't really like it or bottom of the list if readily available at libraries. The kids thought I had read them all last weekend and were briefly amazed!

I did finish my kindle prime book "Trail of the Dead" by Melissa F. Olson. That was the second in my "null" series and not as good as the first. It lack the laughs then I read that the author wrote it while on bed rest with hyperemisis(sp. ?) and then became impressed she managed to string coherent sentences together. I could barely read much less write! I will give the third one a try if and when it becomes available.

That's beautiful. What is meant by inappropriate pine trees though? In #3 it says to take the fork "past the inappropriate pine trees on the left".

My friend knew the walk so I didn't even look at it until posting for you. :) The only thing I can think of is it was very much a deciduous forest. My friend actually did comment that the conifers in one area were interesting. Generally pines are all together for lumber purposes here. Clumber Park near us has several pine forests but they are separate. Even though it is National Trust they are harvesting the lumber actively. Generally not intermingled possibly because the pines have been harvested. I am curious and will ask but I think inappropriate really meant unusual in this case.

I've been accused of worse things   :D

Much to my surprise, I have really, really loved the War of the Roses history cycle.  I would have never read these if the new movies weren't coming out, so kudos to the BBC or whoever bankrolled films that had nothing to do with superheroes and computer generated, 3D whatevers.

David Tennant is doing Richard II for the Royal Shakespeare Co this fall and I would absolutely love to see that production.  If only the TARDIS would pick me up for the evening ....  sigh ... 

Paisley -  If we've got the TARDIS then we could go see an earlier performance in the Globe Theater ... if you know what I mean.  There'll be plenty of room in the TARDIS for everyone.  :)

My friend knew the walk so I didn't even look at it until posting for you. :) The only thing I can think of is it was very much a deciduous forest. My friend actually did comment that the conifers in one area were interesting. Generally pines are all together for lumber purposes here. Clumber Park near us has several pine forests but they are separate. Even though it is National Trust they are harvesting the lumber actively. Generally not intermingled possibly because the pines have been harvested. I am curious and will ask but I think inappropriate really meant unusual in this case.

Ah, okay. I wondered if it meant invasive, as in pines that aren't native to the area.

I have been tallying my numbers.

I have read three of the seafaring books (and am surprised the Jack London's The Sea-Wolf is not on the list).

I have read three of the campus books.

The 50 Books Everyone Needs to Read List (1963--2013) features a number of authors whom I have read--but not those specific books.  Of the list, I have read seven.  Of the recommended books (excluding children's) I have read 27 but some of them a very long time ago.  Joan Didion, for example.  I read several of her books in the late 70's/early 80's (before some of you whippersnappers were born!) but I have not read her since. Same for Vonnegut.  What intrigues me though is that there are several mentions of authors with whom I am completely unfamiliar.  Maybe I should crawl out from under my rock one of these days...

ETA:  There are things missing from the 50 Book list!  For example, one of my favorite novels, The Magus, by John Fowles has made several lists of best novels of the 20th century.  Neither it nor any of Fowles' other books are on the list.

So who else is missing?  Remember this list is quite modern (ahem) beginning with '63.  That is 1963, VC.  Not 1563.

Hey! I'll have you know I'm reading this right now: http://www.amazon.com/Each-York-Review-Books-Classics/dp/0940322528/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377627170&sr=1-1

Not even fifty years old. See??? I can be adaptable.

Oh, that looks good. Let me know what you think about it. I've really enjoyed quite a few of the NYRB Classics I've read.....

Just looked more in depth at the 50 Books Everyone Needs to Read, 1963-2013 list. My numbers are (including the 'also recommended' for each year books):

22 -- read of the adult books (counting The Book Thief in the adult category rather than in children's); 4 of them were the main book selected for the year

08 -- read of the children's books

09 -- started reading & ditched because I didn't like them; 3 of them were the main book selected for the year

01 -- currently reading (Pym by Mat Johnson)

I have some on my want-to-read list & there are others I have no interest in. LOL.

Hmm...  The one book I've read is Ender's Game.  I wonder what that says about me...?  Oh, and what in the world does "despite his unfortunate politics" mean?  I have no idea what his politics are, or what they have to do with the book.  LOL  Is there something I need to know????  (I read this book as a teenager, so my political following was only barely a glimmer in my eye.  :D )

ETA:  There are things missing from the 50 Book list!  For example, one of my favorite novels, The Magus, by John Fowles has made several lists of best novels of the 20th century.  Neither it nor any of Fowles' other books are on the list.

So who else is missing?  Remember this list is quite modern (ahem) beginning with '63.  That is 1963, VC.  Not 1563.

That's a good question. Its a strange list (IMO), but most lists are. They're usually singular opinions and meant to create discussion. 

Missed (or at least I don't remember them): 

Charles Portis

Walter Tevis

Kent Haruf

Jim Harrison

Annie Dillard

Wallace Stegner

Its also hard to tell who they're including (just American? Some additional Brits? World?). Fowles is British, right? There are not enough Brits on the list to feel conclusive. 

I thought some of you might like to "see" the walk we did yesterday. It took longer and seemed to be a bit more rigorous then advertised. Hebden Bridge was picturesque even from the British perspective. Property is pricey there!

It's gorgeous there. I was there 29 years ago. :) I'll never forget it. 

Started Reading:
The Map of the Sky by Felix J. Palma (Spanish author, DD class 800)

Still Reading:
Man Seeks God: My Flirtations with the Divine by Eric Weiner (American author, DD class 200) 

Finished:

39. When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy by John Piper (American author, DD class 200)
38. Inferno by Dan Brown (American author, DD class 800) 
37. That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo (American author, DD class 800) 
36. The God Who is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story by D.A. Carson (Canadian author, DD class 200)
35. Sandstorm by James Rollins (American author, DD class 800)
34. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (Mexican Author, DD class 800)
33. The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific by J. Maarten Troost (Dutch Author, DD class 900)
32. Bill Bryson's African Diary by Bill Bryson (American author, DD class 900) 
31. The Millionaires by Brad Meltzer (American author, DD class 800) 
30. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter (American author, DD class 800) 
29.The Sherlockian by Graham Moore (American author, DD class 800) 
28. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (American authors, DD class 800)
27. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (American author, DD class 900)
26. The Last Camellia by Sarah Jio (American author, DD class 800)
25. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Ethiopian author, DD class 800)
24. Having Hard Conversations by Jennifer Abrams (American author, DD class 300)
23.The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (American author, DD class 600) 
22. The Infernal Devices #3: The Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare (American author, DD class 800)
21. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (American author, DD class 800)
20. Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill (British author, DD class 200)
19. The Infernal Devices #2: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare (American author, DD class 800)
18. The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (American author, DD class 800)
17. God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible by Vaughan Roberts (British author, DD class 200)
16.The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag: A Flavia de Luce Mystery by Alan Bradley (Canadian Author, DD Class 800) 
15.The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner (American author, DD class 900) 
14. Prodigy by Marie Lu (Chinese author, DD class 800)
13. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (American author, DD class 900)
12. The Disappearing Spoon: And Other Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean (American author, DD class 500)
11. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman (American Author, DD class 600)
10. A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller (American author, DD class 200)
9. Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick (American author, DD class 300)
8. Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald (American author, DD class 100)
7. The Bungalow by Sarah Jio (American author, DD class 800)
6. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)
5. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)
4. The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion by Tim Challies (Canadian author, DD class 600)
3. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (Australian author, DD class 800)
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (English author, DD class 800)
1. The Dark Monk: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch (German author, DD class 800)

I couldn't sleep last night so I read "Death of Yesterday" by MC Beaton. It is the latest in the series, I think. I love being able to read on my Fire and not wake DH. Even though I am tired today at least I accomplished something. :)

I am working my way through "The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack". It is a Stacia recommendation which I had a really hard time locating through libraries. It finally arrived. I am enjoying it but the print is a bit tiny. I feel like an old lady but I can only read it with good lighting so going a bit slow. :lol:

I finished Pym by Mat Johnson today. My thoughts...

The book is a somewhat-witty satire of both Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & the issue of race. Johnson's book starts out strongly, but bogs down with the fantastical story in the middle of the book. Johnson regains some of his steam for the final few pages & thoughts. Poe pulled-off the weirdness of his Pym tale; Johnson almost did but the story itself was too uneven overall.

The book's highlights/strengths are its skewering of Poe's work & of Thomas Kinkade (contemporary, popular 'painter of light'), along with some of the thoughts on race & race relations. The weakest points are the fantastical storyline & some of the characterization.

I wanted to love this book & did love the sections where Johnson nailed the satire. However, there were just too many uneven/fantastical parts that detracted from the crux of the message for me to fully love the book. Overall, 3 stars.

-------

And, on a separate note, I just realized that Pym marks my 52nd book this year!

I finished World War Z by Max Brooks last night. We saw the movie in early July and I had been disappointed. I later heard that the book was a lot better so I gave it a try. I do agree that it was a lot better than the movie. There are so many thoughts going on in the book that were impossible to portray on the big screen. The story is told in a series of interviews with various survivors. I connected with some of the interviews more than others, but overall everything felt a bit detached to me. I had also expected it be more of a heart pounding thriller. However, once I adjusted to the style of the story I began to appreciate the author's creativity and would give it 3.5 stars.

This week I had 2 books come in from the library. First is N0S4A2 by Joe Hill. This seems to be the heart pounding thriller that I expected from WWZ but Robin mentioning kids as demons in the last thread has me a bit freaked out, so I'm not sure it's the book for me! The other choice is These is My Words by Nancy Turner. That one was recommended on my Goodreads list because I enjoyed The Help and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society so quite a different genre from demons and Zombies :tongue_smilie: . I'm not sure which one I'll go with yet.

These is My Words by Nancy Turner. That one was recommended on my Goodreads list because I enjoyed The Help and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society so quite a different genre from demons and Zombies :tongue_smilie: .

:lol:  Yeah, sounds like you have two extremes of reading there.....

Let us know what you think of either/both of them....

I couldn't sleep last night so I read "Death of Yesterday" by MC Beaton. It is the latest in the series, I think. I love being able to read on my Fire and not wake DH. Even though I am tired today at least I accomplished something. :)

I listened to Death of a Dreamer audio book from the library a few weeks ago. I was actually looking for an Agatha Raisin audio book, but could only find a few Hamish Macbeth ones available. I enjoyed it and want to read or listen to others in the series.

And, on a separate note, I just realized that Pym marks my 52nd book this year!

Woo hoo! Congrats!  :hurray:

I think I have a new category/challenge for the rest of my reading year:  Recommendations from the Book a Week Thread!   For instance:

Bob Newhart's biography, currently on cds in my car, is an enjoyable listen that is making a long commute seem short.  

I've got The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym on my iPad (I need some time for actually sitting and reading instead of zipping about town)

Shadow of the Wind is sitting on my shelf, and Night Film is available on Audible -- I'm thinking it may be next month's download.  

I listened to Death of a Dreamer audio book from the library a few weeks ago. I was actually looking for an Agatha Raisin audio book, but could only find a few Hamish Macbeth ones available. I enjoyed it and want to read or listen to others in the series.

I prefer Hamish Macbeth to Agatha Raison. I read them both but prefer the "straight man" detective with the odd and unpredictable villagers. There is actually an old TV series of his mysteries. Not accurate at all bookwise but the kids watched it last year when they were showing the reruns happily, while I had issues with accuracy and couldn't watch. ;)

Most of the MC Beaton's have recently appeared on the kindle ebook list at my library. Maybe that will happen at yours too. If possible read the early ones first so you know the odd village characters -- the one I just read definately assumed the reader knew who everyone was.

I'm already looking forward to the subsequent book!  (I can put it on my list of reads for next year.)

:lol:  (Yeah, like I'd have the energy to write a book after climbing Mt. Everest!!! I did a 'mom PE'/crossfit class on Tuesday and I'm still sore, especially going up & down stairs! LOL.)

I think I have a new category/challenge for the rest of my reading year:  Recommendations from the Book a Week Thread! 

Love that idea!

Rejoice with me ... I FINISHED Pilgrim at Tinker Creek!!!!! Finally! It only took 5 weeks.

smilie_cool_boogie.gif

(BTW, I'm totally on board for a trip to Everest.)

You can drag me up the mountain? :D :thumbup1:

This week has been crazy busy so I am suprisingly not finished with Night Film.  However, that didn't stop me from starting another book, The Fifties by David Halberstam.

I've had my eye on The Fifties for a long time but our sole library copy was a stinky, wrinkly mess.  When Amazon offered it as a $1.99 daily deal a couple of weeks ago, I grabbed it.  The Fifties is a social and political microhistory of (what else?) the 1950's.  I am only a couple of chapters in but I am immediately struck by the political "flavor" of the era which is strikingly similar to the conservative vs liberal arguments of today.  We aren't supposed to talk about politics here at WTM, but it seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Ugh.

On a side note:  I started The Fifties because I needed some nonfiction to read on my Kindle app on my PC while I work with my 7th grader through his school day.  My decade plus of homeschooling seem to have trained me that the mornings are for work (i.e. nonfiction) and the afternoon/evening is for play (i.e. fiction).  This is true even on weekends.  Does anyone else have this crazy dichotomy?

If you're into the 50s book, you might also like reading Nick & Jake, just for fun.

No, I almost always prefer fiction whether morning, noon, or night. LOL.

And regarding next year's reading, I definitely need a nonfiction challenge.  My current numbers are 53 fiction vs 13 nonfiction.  That is a pitiful stat.  

You could try the Dewey Decimal Challenge... (though your numbers of 53 fiction/13 non-fiction sound like about the right ratio to me)....

Pfffstt!  Not likely. :lol:   After living my entire life at sea level, I'd likely be passing out and suffering cerebal edema at Base Camp.  It doesn't stop me from wanting to go though ....   Everest is my #1 Armchair Adventure.

Ok, cool. We can suffer through Base Camp together. I agree w/ you -- Everest is my #1 armchair adventure too. 

Maybe we could start w/ this, then work our way over to Base Camp....

http://herpackinglist.com/2012/03/ultimate-female-packing-list-annapurna-circuit/

http://booktionary.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/review-strange-affair-of-spring-heeled.html

This was my favorite review of The Stange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder. I enjoyed it greatly and really enjoyed a few of the unique characters. The book addicted head of the chimney sweeps made me smile.

I already have the next in the series but will wait a few days/weeks. Relatively fat book with smallish print so I need a break.

http://booktionary.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/review-strange-affair-of-spring-heeled.html

This was my favorite review of The Stange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder. I enjoyed it greatly and really enjoyed a few of the unique characters. The book addicted head of the chimney sweeps made me smile.

I already have the next in the series but will wait a few days/weeks. Relatively fat book with smallish print so I need a break.

So glad you enjoyed it.

I haven't read oodles of steampunk, but have read some. Off the top of my head, I can think of Boneshaker, Soulless, The Bookman, Phoenix Rising (a Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences novel), and The Clockwork Man (sequel to The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack). The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack is still, by far, my favorite steampunk book.

Hmmm. I still need to read the 3rd one in the series....

Pfffstt! Not likely. :lol: After living my entire life at sea level, I'd probably be passing out and suffering cerebral edema at Base Camp. It doesn't stop me from wanting to go though .... Everest is my #1 Armchair Adventure.

This must be the same phenomenon that attracts me to sea adventure literature. I can't even tolerate a bus ride, and just looking at a boat bobbing on the water turns me quite green. Terra firma, plus my imagination, will do for me.

I'm really chuffed to report my first completed book.  :001_smile:

1)  HotMW - chapters 1-6 (79 chapters to go!)
2)  50 People - chapters 1-10 (40 chapters to go)
3)  The Elephant in the Classroom - FINISHED!

The Elephant in the Classroom has made me really look forward to starting the new school year next week. A book about maths that I could hardly put down. Really! I would never have believed that as a teenager....

Next I'm going to read The Calling of Emily Evans by Janette Oke (gathering dust on my Kindle) which should be a nice easy read.

Emma

So, I'm back at my sister's house for a short visit & I ran to her library today to pick up Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. Since I had started it (& was so rudely interrupted in my reading of it by going home) over a month ago, I restarted from the beginning. Already, I'm further along than I was previously (mumto2, I just finished reading Edie's backstory -- loved it!) & am loving this book again already. Seriously, this is one high octane, smart, fun book. It's got a nice guy (from a crime family) protagonist; a kick-a** old lady who was a spy & who can still work people over; her elderly, blind dog; clockwork devices; underground tunnels; various evil villains starting to lurk around & jostle for position; custom, private trains trekking around the British countryside; WWII history; bees; & plenty of other fun, fabulous characters, events, & settings... & I've read only about 120 pages.

I am SO glad to be reading it now. Perfect for the long weekend.  :thumbup1: