Menu

Do I need the manual for Horizons Math 4?

It's more than an answer key. It has extra teaching activities, and reminders for when to practice drills or hand out the extra worksheets. Blacklines of the extra worksheets and quarterly tests are also in there.

I found ours pretty cheap on the used market. I probably could manage without it, but I'm glad to have it. Last month I took the time to copy out all the extra worksheets, so I won't have to take the time to copy on school days.

I really don't find the guide very useful for Horizons--it never addressed the questions we seemed to have, and I was always looking online when we got stuck somewhere. I enjoy teaching math, and taught from the workbook--the manual just wasn't on my wavelength I guess!  However, I did use them for levels 4-6 for the answer key--once it was faster to get up and go get the answer key than solve the problem myself, LOL, it was worth it!

Is Saxon working? Why are you looking to change?

Merry :-)

Hi Merry, my daughter actually used Horizons for two years, and it was very good.  We tried Calvert and had a fail on that regard.  So then I just bought Saxon for both kids because my son has used Saxon for 5 years.  It works for him.  And so I thought form now on, I will be able to pass his down.  Save $.

Saxon is really really really slow moving for her.  Even if you look through the whole textbook it's just not on her wavelength.  She is doing ok with copying problems but she prefers the colorful write-in text. 

It's not that Saxon isn't working.  She is not failing anything.  But I believe math could be a lot more challenging for her and more interesting too.

Ah, too bad about not being able to just pass it down! At least Saxon has good resale value, or maybe you have a friend you can bless with it.  My kids liked the color in Horizons too. Sounds like it might be a good fit to go back to that, and it's not too expensive. The TM's have good resale value too.

Merry :-)