Menu

Erica Parsons Case

mrbmom77

As an adoptive mom, I would welcome a law requiring post-adoptive visits by social workers.

Also I think it's problematic to give stipends to parents of at-risk kids without checking up on the kids in some way.

I'm also an advocate of more services for parents of adoptees.  Of course there is no excuse for hurting a child, but perhaps some well-timed intervention could have made a difference.

If the child had an attachment disorder or mental health issue (possibly genetic considering what is said about various family members) or was simply being abused at home, it is possible that everyone *wanted* to believe the child just was living with someone else. And in our country, a lot of teens ARE living with various people (even more likely to believe in this case where the child had been in a few family homes anyway).

Sounds like kind of a "duh" case so I'm sure law enforcement is thinking the same thing and trying to gather enough evidence to prosecute.  Very tragic and I HATE that they are registered homeschoolers.

This case is like Casey Anthony in she also said that she gave her daughter to another person who could then not be located.  She didn't file a missing person's report. These parents have no record of transferring permanent custody.

Maybe we need a legal requirement that a permanent or semi-permanent transfer of custody must be signed by both parties,  notarized , and filed with the courts. This would mean very little government intrusion but at  least minimally protect trusting relatives (such as grandparents) from being stuck with AWOL parents, or from the heartache of raising a grandchild for a number of years, only to have mom come back on a whim and want the child again. A document that showed the grandparent had had the child for x years could be used as evidence in a "best interests of the child" hearing.

Sounds like kind of a "duh" case so I'm sure law enforcement is thinking the same thing and trying to gather en Very tragic and I HATE that they are registered homeschoolers.

Being a homeschooler is what allowed her to be missing for 20 months. Dr. Phil was I believe trying to put some distance between this family and legitimate homeschoolers but he sort of sounded stupid when he asked, "what were her teachers saying when you didn't turn in her assignments and other reports?' She said NC doesn't require that and he said, "that hasn't been my experience with homeschoolers. Homeschooling doesn't mean dropping out."

Wonder where he got that info?  There are very few place (maybe none) that require assignments to be turned in anywhere.  There are end of year portfolios and such in some states, but he really has no clue does he?

Being a homeschooler is what allowed her to be missing for 20 months. Dr. Phil was I believe trying to put some distance between this family and legitimate homeschoolers but he sort of sounded stupid when he asked, "what were her teachers saying when you didn't turn in her assignments and other reports?' She said NC doesn't require that and he said, "that hasn't been my experience with homeschoolers. Homeschooling doesn't mean dropping out."