Menu

How to heal cut on bottom of foot?

gingersmom

I spent a long afternoon at the zoo about 3-4 weeks ago and got a blister/sore on the bottom of my foot. It seemed to be healing and then the other day walking the dog I could feel it open up (it looks like someone cut a line across the bottom of my foot, the pain!). I have been putting a bandaid on it when I wear shoes but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. 

Does this warrant a doctors visit? I feel kinda stupid calling about a cut on my foot that won't heal. 

This is great medicine http://www.campho-phenique.com/pain_liquid.html

You can get this at any Walmart or Kroger

I use it for pain and healing of things I use daily (like feet and fingers)

Put it on a band aid (soaking the cotton part) and leave on all night long

It will help with healing since it keeps it moist and it REALLY helps with pain.  Warning:  it hurts badly the first few minutes and then it is numb.

If you leave it on all night long, the numbing lasts into the day.

Does it look like it's infected?

After 3 or 4 weeks, I would have thought it would be healed, so is there a possibility that there is a foreign object, like a splinter, inside the sore?

If you'd said it had only been a matter of days, I would try a home remedy, but after 3 or 4 weeks, I would see a doctor, just to be sure there's no infection.

Is it a big hole that might need stitches? Is it a deep wound?

Whatever it is, I hope it gets better soon! :grouphug:

For foot injuries the hydrocolloid plasters are absolutely fab but I think re-bandaging it without knowing its just a wound that got popped open is not really a good idea. It seems to be taking too long to heal. Just as a comparison I had a deep gaping cut on my arm about 10 days ago and that is very well healed already, it's obviously going to scar but its very much healed over.

Two thoughts.

First, is there alot of callous around a small cut? If so, that can cause the area to re-open. Getting rid of the callous (with a file being careful not to allow dust into the cut) and making sure that the wound is bound tightly can speed heeling.

Second, is it hot or large? If so, you need to have it seen. Foot wounds can be difficult to heal because the endure so much pressure and contaimination, and when they do finally heal, scar tissue often forms. Walking on scar tissue can be terribly painful. If it is any more than half an inch, I would have it seen.