Menu

Class of 2014 college acceptances

hsbeth

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!  That's the intercoastal waterway you are facing.  Enjoy the view.

Actually, we're facing north.  This "room" is just big enough that it has great views of both the Gulf of Mexico (and beach) and the Intercoastal at a wide section.  I'm thinking Boca Ciego Bay?  But that's just off memory, so could be totally wrong.  I could look it up later, but we're soon to head to the college - thus ending our view (since we're back after dark).

Creekland, PM me and let me know what hotel you booked. We may visit Eckerd for middle ds next year because we need to ask some specifics before he even applies. I wouldn't mind making a little mini-vacation out of it.

I don't think it needs to be a PM since I don't mind advertising for this place considering the awesome upgrade they gave us for free.

We're staying at the Grand Plaza Hotel here:

http://www.grandplazaflorida.com/

We've also stayed at the Tradewinds before and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  The Tradewinds offers more in things to do for kids (water slide, paddle boats, etc), but they also charge an extra resort fee for it, so be sure to calculate it in to the total cost if comparing.  Both have great beachfront locations and we had a true beachfront room there when we stayed.

ps I just asked youngest if he preferred the Tradewinds or Grand and he said Grand, but remember, they gave us an awesome view + upgrade to the room...  There's only 100 yards (or so) of beachfront between the two properties.  Either would easily suffice for a nice mini-vacation.

I'll do a trip report of Eckerd overall after we get home (probably a day after we get home as we'll be getting home late at night).

Calvin has made his choice of preferred and fall-back universities - under the British UCAS common application system, you can apply to up to five universities, but before May you need to narrow down any offers you have received to two.  Depending on your final exam results, you will automatically go to one or the other.  

So if Calvin gets very good results in his IB exams, he will go to Oxford; if he gets good results, he will go to Warwick.  In both cases, he will be studying English and Classics.

Now he just needs to apply for government loans to cover fees and accommodation.  He'll do that after he finishes his exams at the end of May.

We will finally know his destination when he gets his exam results on July 5th.

L

Creekland I've missed your visit reports!  I wish I could give you a list of colleges to visit and report back on.  lol 

Your penthouse sounds wonderful!  

If there were a way to make college visit reports actually pay for a living, it would be tempting to do them in retirement.  I've found I actually enjoy visiting the vast majority of schools - even if my guys don't end up applying due to fit reasons.  There are many colleges out there doing so many great things it give me hope for our future.

And the penthouse sure is nice enough to spoil a person...

Their choosing us to "upgrade" was a smart choice on their part.  We're now talking about returning here in August when we drop youngest off... though I looked at the penthouse prices... :svengo:  and we will likely select a "lesser," but still quite nice, room.  They have a "Grand Plaza Beach Club" we can join (for free) that will give us discounts on all future stays (not the first stay).  This is likely to end up being our hotel of choice for visits...

I just had a "business discussion" with youngest talking about how sometimes it can pay off for a business to give perks for free.  ;)

Sue -- sorry, yes, it's Cal (UC Berkeley)!

I was just thinking I should post in that new decisions thread.

He did accept a spot on Stanford's wait list a day or two ago, following Kathy's excellent advice, but we're not holding our breath (especially after Cynthia's son did not free up a spot :glare:  <-- haha! just kidding! I'm thrilled we'll be able to meet sometime soon and have a WTM party with Kathy and anyone else who wants to come!). And my son says that in the unlikely event that he is offered a spot, he would probably stick with Cal. :)

Go Bears! :)

What do y'all think about bolding the final decision in the second part of the list thread? Where we are listed by user names and then have a string of schools after those? I always think this sort of information is helpful for the future.

I am going to start this (might be later tonight - got dinner and choir now...).  I may update a few names beside my own if I know where they are going.  I think I know 3 others...

• 3 weeks later...

*LC, on 04 Apr 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:snapback.png

I have had a number of friends who have had children die before college or were "damaged" along the way so severely that they will never go to college, so, I have a different perspective here also.

This is understandable, but I think it's important to note that not everyone who has experienced the above walks away with the same perspective.  A wide range of emotions can still be felt in a vast array of circumstances. Losing a child to death or experiencing a child's life-changing illness or accident does not lead to one way of thinking or feeling. College decisions can still cause angst. For some people the decisions are all the more difficult because of the past.

I never would try to speak for my friends’ who went through these tragedies with their children. I was saying watching these losses happen to my close friends changed MY perspective on life and what was important to ME in MY life and for MY kids, who were preschool/toddler age at the time MY perspective changed.

I can also say I appreciate the perspective that these friends have, and over the years, I have sought out their unique perspective when making big decisions. When we were thinking about homeschooling our oldest, a six-year-old who absolutely loved her school, I talked to a lot of people to gather input about homeschooling and the changes it would mean for our family. With my friend whose child was permanently mentally & physically disabled as a preschooler, I talked about was it right to take away something my kid loved and that would be fine academically. For this friend’s child school would never be about academics, so I wanted to hear her thoughts on depriving my daughter of what made her happy. Years later, when my husband was declining rapidly when he was hospitalized, I called another friend to ask advice on how to know "when is it time to stop the medical intervention and say goodbye†since she had had to make a similar decision with her child.

I don't think any experience leads to one way of thinking/acting. While I definitely don’t believe that time heals all wounds, I have seen time change the way of thinking of my my friends. In one case, my friend was out of state when her child died in an accident. She said that she would never be able to leave her kids again, but after a few years, she changed her mind about that. It was not easy to change from something she felt so strongly about after the accident, but she felt it was the right thing to do at the later time.

*LC, on 04 Apr 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:snapback.png

I never would try to speak for my friends’ who went through these tragedies with their children. I was saying watching these losses happen to my close friends changed MY perspective on life and what was important to ME in MY life and for MY kids, who were preschool/toddler age at the time MY perspective changed.

I can also say I appreciate the perspective that these friends have, and over the years, I have sought out their unique perspective when making big decisions. When we were thinking about homeschooling our oldest, a six-year-old who absolutely loved her school, I talked to a lot of people to gather input about homeschooling and the changes it would mean for our family. With my friend whose child was permanently mentally & physically disabled as a preschooler, I talked about was it right to take away something my kid loved and that would be fine academically. For this friend’s child school would never be about academics, so I wanted to hear her thoughts on depriving my daughter of what made her happy. Years later, when my husband was declining rapidly when he was hospitalized, I called another friend to ask advice on how to know "when is it time to stop the medical intervention and say goodbye†since she had had to make a similar decision with her child.

I don't think any experience leads to one way of thinking/acting. While I definitely don’t believe that time heals all wounds, I have seen time change the way of thinking of my my friends. In one case, my friend was out of state when her child died in an accident. She said that she would never be able to leave her kids again, but after a few years, she changed her mind about that. It was not easy to change from something she felt so strongly about after the accident, but she felt it was the right thing to do at the later time.

Thank you for clarifying that it was your perspective that changed, and your post was describing how those circumstances changed you. From both a personal and professional perspective, I was concerned with the impression I had when I first read your post. My post was just to clarify that others have been in the same circumstances and felt differently, so no one should feel guilty or uncomfortable with her own concerns or difficulties with college decisions.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I did want to acknowledge your post and share my perspective.