Menu

hot flash help.....

HollyDay

I came off estrogen 3 weeks ago.  I started Armour Thyroid 4 weeks ago.  And I'm still on progesterone, but only 25 mg. The hot flashes returned this past week.  The ones during the day are not that terrible.  They are quick and just mildly annoying.  But, the ones at night are awful!  I have at least 1 but usually 3 every night.  As soon as I wake up in the morning, a hot flash starts.  This morning, my hair was damp and my pjs were sticking to my back.  Other than going back on estrogen, and neither my doc nor I want to do that, what else can I do?  I've given up caffeine completely.  I've lost almost 12 lbs. 

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

As a breast cancer survivor, all hormones are off limits for me. I get a lot of hot flashes at night, too. Actually, I probably have quite a few during the day, but I'm busy and ignore most of them.

To cope at night...

a cool shower before bed.

a fan going all night

Wamsutta cool, crisp sheets. Anything sateen is TOO HOT.

I was too embarrassed to open a "news" story yesterday that said women were "helped" from their hot flashes/night sweats problems by using a v&&brator.   :scared:   Since the NSA tracks everything I pictured some office geek laughing at me being silly enough to open that link so I decided to NOT be curious.  :D

Wear layers. A sleeveless top with a lightweight shell/sweater that can be shed quickly. Same at night--a fan always running with very lightweight clothes (shorts & tank) with a light blanket.

I also keep a small hand-held fan (not electric!) ;) with me so I can fan myself--really helps, no matter the situation. Also, I wear my hair up a lot.

While I don't know very much about this, I thought I would share what worked for my mother when she was going through menopause.  She was never able to take hormone replacement therapy or even birth control pills, but when she started to drink about 4 oz. of chocolate silk soy milk at night, her night sweats improved dramatically.  I don't remember how long it took for the full effect, though.

There's a poster here named Negin who always has lots of advise for peri/menopausal problems. For some dumb reason, I assumed my hot flashes would stop after I had a hysterectomy.    I found this online, and their suggestions seem to help.  " While it may be impossible to completely avoid hot flashes during menopause, there are certain triggers that may bring them on more frequently or cause them to be more severe. To prevent hot flashes, avoid these triggers:

• Stress
  • Caffeine
  • Alcohol
  • Spicy foods
  • Tight clothing
  • Heat
  • Cigarette smoke

Other things you can do to keep hot flashes at bay include:

• Stay cool. Keep your bedroom cool at night. Use fans during the day. Wear light layers of clothes with natural fibers such as cotton.
  • Try deep, slow abdominal breathing (six to eight breaths per minute). Practice deep breathing for 15 minutes in the morning, 15 minutes in the evening and at the onset of hot flashes.
  • Exercise daily. Walking, swimming, dancing, and bicycling are all good choices.
  • Chill pillows; cooler pillows to lay head on at night might be helpful."

It could be stress.  I cut out caffeine just over a week ago now.  Alcohol is not a factor (too many calories) since I started Weight Watchers.  I guess spicy foods could be to blame...Tight clothing no factor at night.  Don't smoke.  It has been 105 here this Aug, but the last few days have been nice, down in the 90s.  Maybe that is just too hot for me. 

There's a poster here named Negin who always has lots of advise for peri/menopausal problems. For some dumb reason, I assumed my hot flashes would stop after I had a hysterectomy.    I found this online, and their suggestions seem to help.  " While it may be impossible to completely avoid hot flashes during menopause, there are certain triggers that may bring them on more frequently or cause them to be more severe. To prevent hot flashes, avoid these triggers:

• Stress
  • Caffeine
  • Alcohol
  • Spicy foods
  • Tight clothing
  • Heat
  • Cigarette smoke

Other things you can do to keep hot flashes at bay include:

• Stay cool. Keep your bedroom cool at night. Use fans during the day. Wear light layers of clothes with natural fibers such as cotton.
  • Try deep, slow abdominal breathing (six to eight breaths per minute). Practice deep breathing for 15 minutes in the morning, 15 minutes in the evening and at the onset of hot flashes.
  • Exercise daily. Walking, swimming, dancing, and bicycling are all good choices.
  • Chill pillows; cooler pillows to lay head on at night might be helpful."

Had to laugh...

Stress, caffeine, spicy foods and heat are my life. No wonder I have hot flashes. lol