What's with the ads?

#1 MaggieAnnie

MaggieAnnie

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Tomorrow! So excited! Ds is the only young server (ie under 30) and is so  nervous even though he has met him before. 

He gets to care for the censer- usually he is "candle boy"- which is a big deal in his mind and he has been muttering and writing notes to himself...very funny guy.

Now I just have to remember "Master Bless" not a handshake  ;)

#2 Orthodox6

Orthodox6

No Bees Here -- Just Children!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6421 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

What a joy!

One of my boys usually would end up as "the book rack".

Your son will be so happy!

#3 Briva

Briva

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

Does everyone try to be present when the Bishop shows up? I think I would be intimidated, avoiding the crowd. My fav place is in the farthest corner in the back anyway.

#4 Mrs. A

Mrs. A

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

It's always so special to be there when the bishop is.  The liturgy is longer and if you live in a large city you'll probably have people you've never seen before coming out of the woodwork.  But it is wonderful to have your bishop with you.  I always feel as though we are like little children running to greet their father when he comes home after a long time away.  :)   

#5 milovany

milovany

The Thwarted Clock Stealer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

It's always so special to be there when the bishop is.  The liturgy is longer and if you live in a large city you'll probably have people you've never seen before coming out of the woodwork.  But it is wonderful to have your bishop with you.  I always feel as though we are like little children running to greet their father when he comes home after a long time away.   :)   

Similar thoughts here.  The Bishop is our representative of Christ on earth -- while the priest is a huge blessing to the local parish, he is one of the Bishop's "helpers" (probably a poor choice of words).  So when the Bishop comes, it's a huge deal. This may be a little different in America where a Bishop's "territory" (another poor choice of words, but I need to get ready for liturgy and can't put more thought into it) is very very large.  In traditionally Orthodox countries, there are more Bishops who pastor over much smaller areas.  They Christians there tend to see him more -- although not saying the "hugeness" of his visit is diminished.  It's still a big deal to be with the Bishop.  Go, if you can, Briva, and get his blessing! ("Master bless" instead of "Father bless").

#6 MaggieAnnie

MaggieAnnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

It was lovely, though a huge horribly virus has been making the rounds through our community and it was only half full ;(.

Usually it is standing room only- ha!

Ds did a great job and was more sleepy than nervous. During one big yawn he did get a little close to our readers pony tail with his candle :ohmy:

My littlest dd has a funny relationship with the bishop and always does something endearing or embarrassing. Or usually both. This year she pulled a cut up straw necklace she had strung on yarn and presented it to him at the meal...he wore it the whole time and she was very proud  :)

Over all a wonderful experience as alwasy but I hope Mat. has her feet up with a nice iced coffee today relaxing!

#7 PrincessMommy

PrincessMommy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3942 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Does everyone try to be present when the Bishop shows up? I think I would be intimidated, avoiding the crowd. My fav place is in the farthest corner in the back anyway.

I'm with you.   I've been to a couple of hierarchical liturgies and now I'm not so enthralled by them. Too many people, too many extra doo-dads in the service... yeah, you can call me grumpy.  ;) I DO love to go to ordinations (not that we've had many).  That is a very joyous liturgy. 

#8 Little Nyssa

Little Nyssa

Now all those lands lie under the wave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

I love that story about the straw necklace! That is quite a bishop!
My DS took the Archbishop's staff when he was a baby and was gumming on it and would NOT let it go... hence the joke that he will himself be a hierarch someday...

We do like having ours visit-- it is really moving because he is the representative of Christ, and the guardian of right Orthodox teaching, and he is personally someone I respect and like very much. ON the other hand the hierarchical liturgies are longer, which is hard if you have littles, and also lots of people will come who don't often come, so you can see a lot of unfamiliar faces, which is one the one hand nice, on the other hand it can be too crowded etc.

No Briva, you don't HAVE to go-- it's not like an RC holy day of obligation. Sometimes it's nice to go to part of the service if it seems too much.

#9 Patty Joanna

Patty Joanna

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5351 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

I honestly think that the visit of the Bishop was a part of my son's undoing.  He was assigned the role of candle-holder (no movement) and he came very close to passing out through lack of movement in this role.  I am not overstating this. He nearly passed out from standing still. 

He understands the importance of the bishop and all that it means.  But physiology comes into play at some point.  He would have been better off as the book stand.  :0/

#10 Orthodox6

Orthodox6

No Bees Here -- Just Children!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6421 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

PattyJoanna,  sometimes even "worse" is the job of "hat rack".  One year, during the Holy Thursday evening service -- (and we all know how long THAT lasts!) -- our eldest held Vladika's hat (placed on a silver tray) throughout the entire service, apparently without moving.  My friend told me later that she felt so tempted to lean over from the choir and poke him, to make sure that he still was alive!

The elder son of one of our deacons often passed out in the altar on Sunday mornings -- whether this was from incense inhalation or from other cause, I never knew.  We on the kliros would hear a loud "thunk" and instantly know that J___ had succumbed again and fallen, without any wish or intention of doing so. 

#11 MaggieAnnie

MaggieAnnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

I That is quite a bishop!

(no movement) and he came very close to passing out through lack of movement in this role.  I am not overstating this. He nearly passed out from standing still. 

The elder son of one of our deacons often passed out in the altar on Sunday mornings -

I don't know the particulars but our Archbishop raised his nephew and is very good with children and understanding of the needs of parents and children. We do love him.

A military fellow once told me that new recruits often pass out from lack of movement...  they have to be told that even if your drill Sargent says "DONT MOVE" you still have to move a little. Some people are more susceptible...something about blood flow maybe...he said the trick is to squeeze and release muscles- thighs , abs , backside... you look like you are still but moving enough to not pass out.

A good trick to pass on the servers ;)

What's with the ads?