Menu

Math Ideas/ Curriculum/ Games to start with 3 year old

I have another question for the group.  My second child (boy - 3 years and 3 months old) is at the point where I feel I need to start some sort of formal learning/ work.  Until now we have been reading to him everyday; playing with duplos, cars, trains; used leapfrog dvds, and take him outdoors - park, pool, etc whenever we can. I would like to get ideas on what/ where would be a good place to start for math,reading and writing.  

I have looked at HWT and like it.  I have used AAS with my older daughter (7 years old) and thought I could use their AAR program with my 3 year old. Confused about my options with math.  We did not use any formal math curriculum for our daughter when she was young and now we use Miquon and Singapore during summer and winter breaks (to supplement school) so would like to know if these programs are good for the preschool years as well.

Any other thoughts/ directions/ advice/ critiques would help - thanks!

My advice in general is that he is only 3 - keep doing what you are doing unless he asks for more.

But if he is the more rare boy who really likes to write and can actually manipulate the pencil just do some simple copywork.  Maybe use the Draw Write Now books.

For reading I believe you can start 100 Easy Lessons that young - it has a writing component that you could skip or use instead of anything else.  I just used letter flashcards or wood letters to learn sounds and created simple three letter words at that age.

There are many colorful preschool and kindergarten workbooks at the dollar store or Walmart types.  Buy some fun manipulatives at a teacher supply store and just play, count, and compare.  A solid understanding of what numbers mean is really more important for a foundation than starting to memorize math facts.

I also really like the Rod and Staff workbooks.  Especially the themed ones that are newer.  Covers simple numbers, letter sounds, listening skills, colors, shapes, and more.

Enjoy the cut and paste years!!

I like to find ways to incorporate learning into board games. Sorry! is one of our favorites. That's how my DD learned 1:1 counting, actually. I thought the Singapore Kindergarten A was more of a preschool level than K. We'll be using that with DD.

You'll find more suggestions on the preschool forum.

Some of the things I like to do with my 3 year old are Montessori inspired Practical Life and Sensorial activities. I think that they are a great foundation before reading, writing, and math, which makes more sense to get going with a 4-5 year old. 

http://www.montessoriathomebook.com/Home.html/

This is quickly becoming my favorite book and preschool program. 

I've also started using  RightStart card games and book with my 1st grader. I've found that the first section, Numeration, is perfect for my 3 year old. 

• 2 years later...

Just keep it fun and engaging, not a chore or a pile of clerical work to get through.  If he is ready and wanting more, great.  If not, back off.  At only 3 the last thing you want to do is make him hate learning or undercut the developmental process his brain is going through right now.  His brain is making a zillion connections right now.  The more interest led his learning, the more excited he gets about exploring something, the stronger the brain connections.  In other words, help instill a love of learning over forcing content knowledge.

When my youngest was three - four, we used Math Reasoning Beginning 1 & 2 from the Critical Thinking Company. Their program for 3 - 5 years olds is great! It is a lot of patterns, learning geometry vocabulary, basic math skills that she was very ready for. For us, it inspired a love of math! Her favorite part was the Can You Find Me sections of hearing riddle like clues to figure out a missing piece of a story or the identity of an animal.

This was not at all babyish. I was impressed.

This year, I just got some simple workbooks at the Dollar store or Barnes and noble for my three year old to do for "school time" when he asks. Do some counting games and play store. If you want something formal, you could look at some preschool math games. I know Well Trained Mind has some new preschool math, but I can't comment on it.

We use Saxon K math for k-4. I love this book because all of the math work is hands on with manipulatives...not workbook work. I picked it used and already had all the manipulatives though. You don't need to spend that much. Some of the things it covers is counting, simple addition games and story play with addition and subtraction with counting bears, playing store and counting pennies with dimes and nickels added at the end, color patterns, calendar, etc. You can easily do these things on your own and keep it focused on play. Buy a cash register, Melissa and Doug calendar and a simple workbook that teaches writing the numbers and some counters.

Kumon also has some great books for preschool. I also love Mudpies to Magnets for preschool science play.

I think you have gotten some good advice. I agree with all of the above.

My 3 yo wants to do lessons too. So.....

For math, I am currently using the preschool math from wtm press and right start with my 3 yo. Like a pp mentioned, books from the critical thinking company are great. Large print and colorful. I am also using AAR prelevel. My dd loves to write as well. I'm using a book from Zaner-Bloser.

Lots of math manipulatives are played with.

Don't worry not all of this is done every day. We read, play and go to museums as well. :)

Love love love Mortensen Math! The owner at Crewton Ramone's House of Math is sometimes a hard pill to swallow for some people. But if you can get past his possibly "rough" exterior you'll find a great math mentor/teacher.

http://crewtonramoneshouseofmath.blogspot.com/2014/08/base-10-block-book-for-preschoolers.html

http://crewtonramoneshouseofmath.blogspot.com/2015/10/house-for-duck.html

http://www.crewtonramoneshouseofmath.com/preschool-math-activities.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...