Menu

What to do with 9 year old after Latina Christiana?

beansprouts

Having gone through both LCI and II, you will have an easy transition to Henle. Most of the vocab will be review, and the grammar as well. We were in the exact same place last year, and are now finishing up units 1 & 2 of Henle I, halfway through 6th grade. We've gone slowly and used the Memoria Press Study Guide, but to tell you the truth, this mom has been more lost than her daughter--dd has done very well with it!

I am doing LCII with my 10 yo dd, 8 yo ds and 6 yo dd. They are all doing well. It is my 6yo that astonishes me the most. I never expected her to go this far at her age. I am wondering if she should go on to Henle? I have not seen it yet. I have a 3 1/2 yr old too. When do you guys think I should start her? I am fairly certain she will be reading early like her sister. The 6 yr old started Latin when she was 4 1/2. (She just SAT there, instead of going off to play!)

We spend 1hr a day on Latin. This is the best part of the day. If we do nothing else, I feel like we did a lot.

If you haven't used the puzzles workbook...it is excellent. The kids LOVE the word searches and crosswords. It is has made all the difference in reinforcing translating skills.

Love Memoria Press. We will start the French program next. (Guess who is excited about that!)

I am doing LCII with my 10 yo dd, 8 yo ds and 6 yo dd. They are all doing well. It is my 6yo that astonishes me the most. I never expected her to go this far at her age. I am wondering if she should go on to Henle? I have not seen it yet. I have a 3 1/2 yr old too. When do you guys think I should start her?

Since you usually do Latin with the 3 older children together anyway, I would just continue doing the same with the Henle text. The MP study guide breaks the lessons down into small, manageable chunks, and almost all of it can be done orally. It's drier than LC, but I would think that making Latin a family affair would make it more fun and interesting no matter what program you are using. She doesn't have to "get" all of it, but if what she is absorbing is fun for her, how great is that?

For the little one--maybe Prima Latina in another year? Perhaps one of the olders could be her "tutor."

Latin Road to English Grammar

I like it because it goes at a slower pace. You get through two years of high school Latin in three years.

IMHO this makes it easier to use for younger ones. Also, if they've already done Latina or another elementary program, the first few chapters are nice and easy. The only thing I've found a bit difficult for younger ones for this program is that it involves a lot of copying, something my younger boys were never crazy about.

Hope this helps. At least it will give you another choice!

I am in the same position right now. We will be finishing LC 11 this May, My dd will be 11 at that point. Debating on what to use next

Henle

the Latin Road to English grammar

Latin for Children level B or C

would love any info on these programs

lynda