Menu

Comments/Questions about the Common App

Sunshine State Sue

Comments:

1. What the heck about the parents' employment?  I want to reply MYOB.
  2. What the heck about the parents' education?  Again, I want to reply MYOB.

Maybe they have to do with disadvantage, first generation college stuff?

Questions:

1. Dh graduated from a 2 yr ministerial school not listed in their college list.  He did not get a degree from the school because the school cannot issue degrees.  Do I bother listing it?  It makes it sound bad to say that he attended but did not get a degree.  Is it to our advantage to show that only one parent has a degree?  I guess ministerial school is not a college, therefore I shouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t include it.  I think I just answered my own question.  But, I still think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s none of their business.
  2. Would you list a half sibling that is 20yrs older?   Probably not.  What's the point?  Financial?
  3. Current year courses.  I've listed fall semester at CC.  What about spring semester?  We won't know for certain until Oct. 30.  Wait until then or pick what I want? 
  4. What would be the date of entry into homeschool?  Do they want a kindergarten date or a high school date?
  5. I am the counselor, right?  Gulp.
  6. What level are CC classes?  Accelerated?  I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think they would be labeled AP or Honors.  I know itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not IB or Regent.
  7. Career Interest Ă¢â‚¬â€œ is there an advantage to using something other that Ă¢â‚¬ËœundecidedĂ¢â‚¬â„¢?
  8. Self-report or not self-report standardized test scores?
  9. Must we report SAT Subject Tests?  One of the schools he will apply to requires them, and weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d prefer to send only when required.
  10. Activity - Timing of participation:  school, break, year.  For basketball played virtually year round with a break now and then between high school and competitive season, all 3?

This is one of the many reasons I am freaking out about college.

LOL, we are doing exactly the same thing this very minute.

Comments:

1. What the heck about the parents' employment?  I want to reply MYOB.
  2. What the heck about the parents' education?  Again, I want to reply MYOB.

Maybe they have to do with disadvantage, first generation college stuff?

That is what I am thinking.

Would you list a half sibling that is 20yrs older?   Probably not.  What's the point?  Financial?

Would not.

Current year courses.  I've listed fall semester at CC.  What about spring semester?  We won't know for certain until Oct. 30.  Wait until then or pick what I want?

Doe he want to submit early? I don't really know, we left ours blank for now.

What would be the date of entry into homeschool?  Do they want a kindergarten date or a high school date?

We put the early one.

I am the counselor, right? 
Yep.

What level are CC classes?  Advanced?  I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think they would be labeled AP or Honors.  I know itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not IB or Regent.

Advanced.

Self-report or not self-report standardized test scores?

We saw no reason not to self-report. The colleges will receive official score reports anyway.

Must we report SAT Subject Tests?  One of the schools he will apply to requires them, and weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d prefer to send only when required.

I do not know.

Activity - Timing of participation:  school, break, year.  For basketball played virtually year round with a break now and then between high school and competitive season, all 3?

Wouldn't that be "year"? I understood "year" to mean not just during the school year and not just during the break, but to encompass "both during teh school year and the break", i.e. the entire year.

How is the question asked regarding level of classes? Does it have to be answered, or are they just asking if it is honors, AP, etc?

AP is a very specific designation, only used if it is an approved AP course. If they take the AP test, you can of course note that.

My current plan is to not mark any courses as honors, etc, and just note "Unweighted GPA." Is the common app gonna mess that up, lol?

See, I have always wondered if the educational levels and employment were ways for admissions folks to kind of figure out in a round-about way what the applicant's family financial situation was. So, looking at it from the other end of the spectrum - not from a first-generation perspective, but from an ability to pay perspective. I know some schools are "need-blind," and I know that there may or may not be a correlation between educational levels and income levels, but really? I guess I am a cynic. I mean if mom is a doc and dad is a lawyer, they are likely not to qualify for need. If that information is out there for admissions folks (maybe it isn't???) to read is it really relevant that they can't see whether the box about applying for financial aid is checked or not?

I have a question too:

"Number of current year courses". It does not say number of credits.

How do I count half-credit courses?

What do I do with ongoing courses that earn one cumulative credit over the course of four years, ie a quarter credit each year?

They ask for course credit, so I would use .5 or .25 whatever is appropriate for the year.  For course schedule, the options are full year, first/second semester, first/second/third trimester.  I would use whatever is appropriate. 

For ds's CC classes, I used 1 credit (math and spanish) or .5 credit (music and humanities) and first semester.

So, for your .5 credit class, you state .5 credit.  If it is full year, you check full year.  Though that would look awkward with .25 credit.  But, it might reflect accurately what they are asking.  Will your transcript show .25 each year or 1 credit for senior year?

See, I have always wondered if the educational levels and employment were ways for admissions folks to kind of figure out in a round-about way what the applicant's family financial situation was. So, looking at it from the other end of the spectrum - not from a first-generation perspective, but from an ability to pay perspective. I know some schools are "need-blind," and I know that there may or may not be a correlation between educational levels and income levels, but really? I guess I am a cynic. I mean if mom is a doc and dad is a lawyer, they are likely not to qualify for need. If that information is out there for admissions folks (maybe it isn't???) to read is it really relevant that they can't see whether the box about applying for financial aid is checked or not?

My son happily put in all of our information -- degrees, year, college, current positions -- my attitude was like Sue's --  MYOB! ... but my son feels he should fill it all in   :glare:  ... I'm glad he is proud of his parents, but I think it might backfire ...

Because I think you're right, Cynthia. One of the books I read a while back -- "A Is for Admission"? -- makes it clear that colleges (or at least the Ivies she talks about) use parents' education and current employment to tease out privilege, ability to pay, etc. They are also trying to enroll more first-generation college students.

Oops.  The option is actually 'accelerated'.  Would CC classes be 'accelerated'?

We have the same questions, and the same attitude as you & Regentrude -- HELP!!!

(I'm SO glad for this board ... )

My husband & I just butted heads with my son over this ... his senior year he will be taking calculus-based physics at the 4-year university and at the CC (different semesters).  My son didn't like any of the options -- they obviously weren't AP or IB, they weren't technically "honors" or "accelerated" ... so he was going to not use any of those labels. My husband and I were worried that not putting something for his physics classes would make them look like "easy" classes -- the course name is just "General Physics" -- whereas the rest of his classes are obviously AP etc. And my son was hotly defending not using any of the labels, b/c they didn't technically fit ...

Then I finally dug out my print copy of last year's Common App, where (on the print copy, at least) there is no separate category for "level," just room for the course title, and the instructions just say to indicate level if appropriate. (Somehow having those radio buttons on the online CA4 make it seem like you HAVE to choose one, at least for advanced coursework.) I finally had a brainstorm -- that putting the name of the college into the course title would indicate the level ... so, "General Physics I: Mechanics (Cal State XXX)", for example.

That was a compromise that satisfied everyone. Maybe that would work for you, Sue?

But I would have been happy putting "accelerated" -- they certainly are (in theory, at least) supposed to move at a faster pace than the corresponding high-school classes.

They ask for course credit, so I would use .5 or .25 whatever is appropriate for the year.  For course schedule, the options are full year, first/second semester, first/second/third trimester.  I would use whatever is appropriate. 

For ds's CC classes, I used 1 credit (math and spanish) or .5 credit (music and humanities) and first semester.

So, for your .5 credit class, you state .5 credit.  If it is full year, you check full year.  Though that would look awkward with .25 credit.  But, it might reflect accurately what they are asking.  Will your transcript show .25 each year or 1 credit for senior year?

The program asks specifically "How many courses would you like to report?" It then asks for title, level and credit value. So do I make the number high enough so that I can list a 0.25 credit?

My transcript will show 0.25 credits for every year in art history, music appreciation, computer skills, and PE, respectively, for one cumulative credit over the course of high school.

I guess she should report 12 courses for a total of 7.5 credits?

Maybe I should label the 0.25 credit courses Art History 4, PE 4 etc?

Oops.  The option is actually 'accelerated'.  Would CC classes be 'accelerated'?

No, accelerated would not fit.

The Common App FAQ  for the topic "Course Level" says:

"If one of your courses has a level designation that is not included in the choice list, please include the level as part of the Course title (e.g. Accelerated Spanish, Dual Enrollment Astronomy, etc.).  "

The program asks specifically "How many courses would you like to report?" It then asks for title, level and credit value. So do I make the number high enough so that I can list a 0.25 credit?

My transcript will show 0.25 credits for every year in art history, music appreciation, computer skills, and PE, respectively, for one cumulative credit over the course of high school.

We agonized over this, too ... as I say in a previous post, my son is taking first-quarter physics (mechanics) at a Cal State, then (probably) second-semester E&M at the local CC ... we decided to put this as two courses, not one. It would have been just one course if he had been taking both semesters (or all 3 quarters) at the same school. (OK, I'm just giving him a half-credit for each quarter/semester ... I know some homeschoolers give a full credit for each semester of CC/college work.)

I know it looks like a lot (our 10 or 11 courses, your daughter's 12) ... but you know, a lot of brick-and-mortar high schools offer one-semester or one-trimester electives, so I don't think it would really raise eyebrows to see 12 courses for senior year. 

My son happily put in all of our information -- degrees, year, college, current positions -- my attitude was like Sue's --  MYOB! ... but my son feels he should fill it all in   :glare:  ... I'm glad he is proud of his parents, but I think it might backfire ...

Because I think you're right, Cynthia. One of the books I read a while back -- "A Is for Admission"? -- makes it clear that colleges (or at least the Ivies she talks about) use parents' education and current employment to tease out privilege, ability to pay, etc. They are also trying to enroll more first-generation college students.

I see a different aspect as well. Sure, our educational level can be a disadvantage when they are looking for first generation students from uneducated backgrounds. OTOH, our educational level can also be an advantage when they judge the quality of our home school. While *I* am fully aware that there are successful homeschooling parents without higher degrees, I would assume that admissions people have a more limited knowledge about homeschooling and may consider our advanced degrees a positive sign for the academic level of our homeschool.

So, there's two sides.

No, accelerated would not fit.

"If one of your courses has a level designation that is not included in the choice list, please include the level as part of the Course title (e.g. Accelerated Spanish, Dual Enrollment Astronomy, etc.).  "

Oh, haha, I haven't combed through the Common App FAQs ... I must do that now, and have my son do it, too. We were really scratching our heads over the lack of Dual Enrollment as one of the labels!! OK, this is what I came up with on my own, haha. Although maybe we should take out the name of the college and put "Dual Enrollment" -- ???

Thanks for the info. Off to do more research ...

I see a different aspect as well. Sure, our educational level can be a disadvantage when they are looking for first generation students from uneducated backgrounds. OTOH, our educational level can also be an advantage when they judge the quality of our home school. While *I* am fully aware that there are successful homeschooling parents without higher degrees, I would assume that admissions people have a more limited knowledge about homeschooling and may consider our advanced degrees a positive sign for the academic level of our homeschool.

So, there's two sides.

Excellent point ... It's easy to forget the homeschooling angle sometimes! OK, I won't discourage my son from leaving the information on his application. :)

My suspicious mind is right there with yours.  :glare:

arrrrgh! The maximum possible number of courses that can be put in the CA is 10!

How do students on a trimester system do it?

I finally had a brainstorm -- that putting the name of the college into the course title would indicate the level ... so, "General Physics I: Mechanics (Cal State XXX)", for example.

But I would have been happy putting "accelerated" -- they certainly are (in theory, at least) supposed to move at a faster pace than the corresponding high-school classes.

I like the idea of putting the college designation in the title, ex. STA 2023 - Statistics

I would agree that some are accelerated, but I'm not convinced that all are accelerated.

I like this idea even better!  Thanks for the tip.  I even found the Help Center now.

Yes, I would list all the courses even if it's 12 courses for 7.5 credits.  I like the idea of naming it Art History 4, PE 4, etc.  This is an accurate reflection of Current Year Courses.

So, there's two sides.

Very good point! 

Questions:

1. Dh graduated from a 2 yr ministerial school not listed in their college list.  He did not get a degree from the school because the school cannot issue degrees.  Do I bother listing it?  It makes it sound bad to say that he attended but did not get a degree.  Is it to our advantage to show that only one parent has a degree?  I guess ministerial school is not a college, therefore I shouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t include it.  I think I just answered my own question.  But, I still think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s none of their business.

So, if a parent never finished college is their education level 'high school diploma' or 'college'?

arrrrgh! The maximum possible number of courses that can be put in the CA is 10!

How do students on a trimester system do it?

I imagine that students on a trimester are still taking several year long classes so each trimester doesn't need to be separate.

Can you combine the 4 .25 credits into 1 credit for the CA?  Just how long is that title field?  :001_rolleyes:

So, if a parent never finished college is their education level 'high school diploma' or 'college'?

Idk. I haven't looked at it because ds is allegedly handling it, so I have not looked at the common app at all. We're having one of our weekly college application meetings in about half an hour, and we'll see how that goes. :/ At any rate, is there not an option of "some college"? Just a random thought.

Can you combine the 4 .25 credits into 1 credit for the CA?  Just how long is that title field?  :001_rolleyes:

Yes, that is what I decided to do. It will be titled "Misc Electives - to be determined".  1 credit ;-)

I am not going to sweat it too much because my transcript will contain exact course names and credit values for the senior year courses.

Another question ... or two ...

As Guidance Counselor, in our Common App account, there are two tabs -- Profile & Students.

We enter information about ourselves & our school in our Counselor Profile ....

under "School Profile" it asks: 

Do you complete applicants' academic ratings on the Common Application School Report?

We say "yes," right??

Also, right under that it says:

Attach your school profile here. & there is a link for uploading a document.

So, do we upload a "generic" document here, as has been discussed in threads on this board?

(e.g., http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/482788-school-profile/ )

And then do we attach the SAME document to the School Report that is filled out for each student?

(In other words, why are there two places for a School Profile, and is it the same document both places??)

Oh .... maybe I'm seeing ... one is just part of our personal "background" information, which may or may not be seen by the colleges, and the other one is uploaded specifically for our student and specifically for each college ... maybe??

Another question, but one which should become clear once we get further in this process ... do we upload the various forms (transcript/course descriptions and school report/school profile) separately for each college??? or do we do this ONCE, and all colleges designated by the student will get the same documents?

(I do know homeschoolers who submit slightly different transcripts to different colleges, tailored for each college -- emphasizing different aspects, for instance. I'm not planning to do this, so this is just a question I'm asking out of curiosity. And it should become obvious soon enough ... I know the student can designate different recommenders for each school .. I'm also curious if the recommender can write a slightly different letter for different schools -- he may want to emphasize different aspects for a tech school vs. a LAC, for example ...)

Thanks!!!!!

Another question ... or two ...

As Guidance Counselor, in our Common App account, there are two tabs -- Profile & Students.

We enter information about ourselves & our school in our Counselor Profile ....

under "School Profile" it asks: 

Do you complete applicants' academic ratings on the Common Application School Report?

We say "yes," right??  YES

Also, right under that it says:

Attach your school profile here. & there is a link for uploading a document.

So, do we upload a "generic" document here, as has been discussed in threads on this board?

(e.g., http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/482788-school-profile/ )  YES

And then do we attach the SAME document to the School Report that is filled out for each student?

(In other words, why are there two places for a School Profile, and is it the same document both places??)  Hmm.  This is different than in previous years.  If I recall correctly, I just directed them to the school report because that is where I put those questions.  ETA:  School Profile, not school report.  At the school report that was on the homeschool supplement, I directed them to the school report. 

Oh .... maybe I'm seeing ... one is just part of our personal "background" information, which may or may not be seen by the colleges, and the other one is uploaded specifically for our student and specifically for each college ... maybe??

Another question, but one which should become clear once we get further in this process ... do we upload the various forms (transcript/course descriptions and school report/school profile) separately for each college??? or do we do this ONCE, and all colleges designated by the student will get the same documents?   You should not need to upload the forms more than once.  That is why it is called the common application.  You may need to add things for each school's school supplement. 

(I do know homeschoolers who submit slightly different transcripts to different colleges, tailored for each college -- emphasizing different aspects, for instance. I'm not planning to do this, so this is just a question I'm asking out of curiosity. And it should become obvious soon enough ... I know the student can designate different recommenders for each school .. I'm also curious if the recommender can write a slightly different letter for different schools -- he may want to emphasize different aspects for a tech school vs. a LAC, for example ...)  I don't know of any way you can have a recommender write different letters to each school.  You may specify different recommenders for different schools, if I recall. 

Thanks!!!!!

My attempt at answers in red.  Hope it helps.  ETA:  correction in orange.

(I do know homeschoolers who submit slightly different transcripts to different colleges, tailored for each college -- emphasizing different aspects, for instance. I'm not planning to do this, so this is just a question I'm asking out of curiosity. And it should become obvious soon enough ... I know the student can designate different recommenders for each school .. I'm also curious if the recommender can write a slightly different letter for different schools -- he may want to emphasize different aspects for a tech school vs. a LAC, for example ...)

I remember asking a similar question recently in another thread,

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/482784-common-application/?hl=%2Bregentrude&do=findComment&comment=5114739

and the answer I received was, no, the recommender uploads ONE single letter to the common app that is used for all schools for which this person has been chosen to be the recommender for this student.

I remember asking a similar question recently in another thread,

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/482784-common-application/?hl=%2Bregentrude&do=findComment&comment=5114739

and the answer I received was, no, the recommender uploads ONE single letter to the common app that is used for all schools for which this person has been chosen to be the recommender for this student.

Haha, I remember that thread ... I even posted in it LOL. Thanks!

Obviously I'm getting a bit overwhelmed ... time to take a breather, work on actually writing my School Profile & counselor's letter instead of fussing with logistics and mechanics, and get my older boy settled in his dorm :D

My attempt at answers in red.  Hope it helps.  ETA:  correction in orange.

Thanks, Ellen. Very helpful!

... I think I can do this ... and ONLY because of everyone on this board! :D

It helps just knowing I'm not the only one with "silly" questions like do I complete applicants' academic ratings on the CA School Report ... ???   :confused1:  That one seems fairly obvious now ...  :thumbup1:

Hello all - I haven't posted on this board for a long time, but I do occasionally lurk, lol. :lurk5:

I have a really basic question with the Common App, and it's probably not even a problem with the CA but maybe with my browser or something.  Every time we get to the FERPA question - where you have to agree or disagree about waiving your right to access the ROLs, we can't continue!  Daughter checks the little box, and I assume there is a continue button further down on the right, but we can't see it & the screen won't scroll down. They can't add me as the counselor until we get past this.

Has this been a problem for anybody else?  Does anyone have a clue what I can do?  I am not exactly a techie kind of gal and it's making want to drop-kick this computer out the window!  Not the most productive response, I know, lol!

-Jen

Has this been a problem for anybody else?  Does anyone have a clue what I can do?  I am not exactly a techie kind of gal and it's making want to drop-kick this computer out the window!  Not the most productive response, I know, lol!

Now that I am past that point, I can't go back and look at it.  I don't remember having any trouble with it though.  Have you tried a different browser?  I typically use Firefox, but sometimes only IE works.

<snip> Daughter checks the little box, and I assume there is a continue button further down on the right, but we can't see it & the screen won't scroll down. They can't add me as the counselor until we get past this.

Has this been a problem for anybody else?  Does anyone have a clue what I can do?  <snip>

-Jen

Zoom out to 75% or 50% and see if you can then see the checkbox.

Right.  It's all about the money. 

Apparently there is no low character limit for the information requested in the boxes on the homeschool portion of the counselor info.

I was able to paste my entire school philosophy of 600 words.

Should I still upload the file in the school profile? I'd be inclined to do so, because it could then also contain the course descriptions.

Opinions?

Probably not all that helpful, but I put N/A into a lot of places that didn't seem to apply to us as homeschoolers.  Rather than do two transcripts, I put "See attached transcript" or "See attached school profile" in the places that seemed to be a repeat of a document I had already written.  This solved the problem of the quarter credits for courses done over the course of four years.  If you have to fill in the blanks, you can do it the way my husband suggested.  He fills out this sort of form all the time for government agencies and he says that it is fine to alter things to make them fit a specific format provided that you include a note to explain how you "translated" the information from one format to the other.  So if each year you have a quarter credit of health, PE, and art, you put a credit of PE into 9th grade, a credit of PE into 10th grade, and a credit of art into 12th grade (or whatever gives you a balanced number of credits each year) and attach a note explaining.  We also had recommendations that did not go through the common application format.  We just had the recommenders send them directly to the colleges.  In other words, we used the common application ONLY for any information that was going to be sent to all colleges.  This approach probably wouldn't work for large universities that are overwhelmed with applicants and understaffed, but even the big state uni's on my son's list recognized that homeschoolers needed extra documentation and made allowances for that.  My son was careful to have his name, address, and birthdate put on every document sent alone.  Also, he wasn't applying to the most competative of schools.  I'm sure the rules are different at the top, where they probably have to look for any and every excuse to eliminate applications.

Nan

"Are you a member of a homeschoolers association"?

Is "association" a protected term that means something specific? Or do I simply list our local homeschool organization?

Huh ... I'd like to know, too ... We're members of a local, inclusive "support" group, but it's very informal. I'm thinking this refers more to something like a body that oversees academics ... but I'm not sure ...  :confused:

Huh ... I'd like to know, too ... We're members of a local, inclusive "support" group, but it's very informal. I'm thinking this refers more to something like a body that oversees academics ... but I'm not sure ... :confused:

I wonder if this refers to either those that homeschool through co-ops or to states that require homeschoolers to homeschool through umbrella schools (we have lived in 2 states where we have had to use umbrellas. In one state, there is no homeschool legal status. Homeschooling is done under the premise of being a satellite campus of the umbrella private school.)

Huh ... I'd like to know, too ... We're members of a local, inclusive "support" group, but it's very informal. I'm thinking this refers more to something like a body that oversees academics ... but I'm not sure ...  :confused:

I wonder about this as well. We do belong to a local support group, but it's for social things. They have a coop, but it's more for enrichment, and they don't keep/issue any kind of grades or transcripts. I believe that I said "yes" to this question five years ago when ds#1 applies. I'm inclined to say "yes" again, since it would seem to demonstrate that we are a part of our local community and don't sit at home alone all the time with noses buried in books.

It's just occurring to me that maybe I should mention this support group and its function in my school profile. At least I could explain that there is no oversight of schooling from the group.

Brenda

I wonder about this as well. We do belong to a local support group, but it's for social things. They have a coop, but it's more for enrichment, and they don't keep/issue any kind of grades or transcripts. I believe that I said "yes" to this question five years ago when ds#1 applies. I'm inclined to say "yes" again, since it would seem to demonstrate that we are a part of our local community and don't sit at home alone all the time with noses buried in books.

It's just occurring to me that maybe I should mention this support group and its function in my school profile. At least I could explain that there is no oversight of schooling from the group.

I was thinking the same thing. Our group is purely social, but it is a group. Once you put in the "association's" name, the Common App does not ask any further questions about the purpose and function of the group.

Has anyone decided to go the paper route for all of the guidance counselor stuff? I need to do online or paper, and I"m tempted to do paper, but I'd love to hear about the pros and cons.

(Having the Common App constantly disconnect and glitch while dd was trying to enter her basic details didn't raise my confidence in this monster one bit!)

And what are people doing for the "Additional Information" section?

Dd has a GREAT resume, but I've read that this is NOT the place to put a resume. So what is she supposed to put there? There is nothing in her background that needs explanation, but I hate for her to leave a perfectly good 650-word spot empty!

Has anyone decided to go the paper route for all of the guidance counselor stuff? I need to do online or paper, and I"m tempted to do paper, but I'd love to hear about the pros and cons.

We did paper, but bear in mind that my daughter has now finished college.  Requirements may have changed.

One thing that I liked about doing paper is that we could tailor the paperwork to each college.  So, my letter of recommendation ended with this statement --

"Given her mastery of academic work at both the high school and early college level as reflected by her various test scores and transcript, I am confident that daughter will thrive at XXXX."

Regards,

Kareni