Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week thirty-three

Robin M

... and I can't get any more photos to load up, being now on my iPad, but my favorite literary eye candy has to be Anton Chekhov, here:

http://handsomemenwhoarenowdead.blogspot.com/2010/07/ive-got-hot-russian-for-ya.html

There's a guy you'd want to meet in a cherry orchard, hm?

I love this thread. :)

I recently read The Snowman by Jo Nesbo and saw his picture on Good Reads. Had to share. 

817f27663aa30a7e9d9a74.L._V192557505_SX2

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway and found it to be quite fascinating. A really great job of interweaving pretty much every word although I am still trying to figure some (many :lol: ) things out! I am looking forward to Stacia's comments! :)

I am planning finish some of the lighter books (romance type novels) that I have started while I contemplate Angelmaker.

But did you play pooh sticks? Totally jealous, sounds lovely. :)

Silly me. I had never previously connected Hundred Acre Wood with a real place. Turns out it is the lush and lovely Five Hundred Acre Wood in Sussex.

For real extra credit, you have to make your pilgrimage to Canterbury Cathedral and recite the General Prologue at St Thos. Becket's altar: "Whan that Aprille with hir shoures sote/ The droghte of Marche hath perced to the rote...."

Well I did light a candle in my father's memory at Becket's altar. I knew that he would have liked that as well as the brief Bell Ceremony during which a page is turned in the Book of Remembrance.

The pilgrims with whom we traveled to Canterbury (in by rail, out by coach) were more interested in Roman and Saxon ruins in general, although there were some wonderful medieval pieces in the Cathedral that enthralled the young archaeologists. The "achievements" (gauntlets, shield, etc.) of the Black Prince and the wall painting depicting the legend of St. Eustace caught their eye as well as mine.

The young archaeologists are of course my dear son and his lovely girlfriend whom he met last summer at an archaeological field school in Britain. They both served as staff at the program this summer. Our trip was a whirlwind with time in London and Kent where the girlfriend's family resides. I look forward to returning!

Now to find time for reading...

Well, I did read it aloud to my dc (one of whom was 10 at the time). But, they were sort-of like me... not breathlessly engaged by it. The apples don't fall far from the tree? Or, the pecan tree drops nuts?

Maybe I need to find a different 10yo?

I read it to mine when he was around 10 or 11 for a homeschool book club, and he wasn'tbreathlessly engaged either. He found it quite painful, and I had to agree with him.

I'm gone for a bit and y'all decide that it is Hot Writers Week?!!?   How about this publicity photo of William Faulkner?  Swoon!  (I am completely oblivious to the fact that he's about twenty years older than my grandpa  ;) )

It has been an insanely busy week here:  oldest ds just got his first week's assignments from his umbrella school, youngest ds is finishing his first 6-weeks tests for his correspondence school, my computer is still on the fritz, we had taekwondo testing (which ds#1 rocked BTW  :ph34r: ), and I will be spending all day tomorrow with the in-laws.   :svengo: 

With all that going on I still managed to finish my Week 33 Shakespeare play, Henry IV Part 1, which was flippin' awesome. I will post my thoughts on this one after I finish Part 2.  This completes one of my 5/5/5 Challenges (Drama) on Shakespeare alone.  Woot woot!

Also finished the werewolf novel Red Moon.  It was just ok.  The ending was left wide open for a sequel which always leaves me feeling a little icky.

Re: Stephen King.  I am feeling a need to revisit some of his early works that I last read at least a decade ago.  With The Shining sequel, Doctor Sleep, due for release in September I want to reread that one for sure along with a couple of other favorites:  The Tommyknockers (getting a miniseries revamp this fall after the awful Jimmy Smitts version of the 90's) and The Talisman.  

I guess the spooky October reads queue is getting filled up pretty early because Stacia's rec Pym looks good too.  I've not read Poe in ages.

Sounds like you've all had an awesome week!

As far as Hot Writers... you snooze, you lose. ;) :001_tt2:  Actually, glad you're joining in w/ your photo too. I think I'd better look up some writers' photos myself... though I *really* like the Hemingway one that Violet Crown posted. :D

I need some recs for spooky October reads. I also need to go through my various book lists & see if I have anything written down for that. I think there's a werewolf book or two I've noted somewhere because I've never really read werewolf lit. So, I'd love any suggestions from you gals for spooky (but not uber-creepy, -scary, or -gory) reads for October.

Re: Stephen King.  I am feeling a need to revisit some of his early works that I last read at least a decade ago.  With The Shining sequel, Doctor Sleep, due for release in September I want to reread that one for sure along with a couple of other favorites:  The Tommyknockers (getting a miniseries revamp this fall after the awful Jimmy Smitts version of the 90's) and The Talisman.  

I guess the spooky October reads queue is getting filled up pretty early because Stacia's rec Pym looks good too.  I've not read Poe in ages.

I don't know if I'm excited about a Shining sequel or not. I do have Doctor Sleep in my cart and just received Joe Hill's Horns. I think I'll read it next. I'm in the middle of Kate Atkinson's Life After Life right now.  I also received House of Leaves, which I'll probably save for October.

I didn't care for the miniseries Tommyknockers, either. I just don't think that most of King's works translate well to the screen. So much of his writing is what is going on in each character's heads. I saw Carrie in the theater when I was 18 with a friend. I had read the book, but for some reason the ending was such a HUGE surprise that we were both pretty shook up. Sometimes I get so involved in the movie that it really effects me, and that one sure did. I'm pretty positive that if I saw it again it would be a totally different experience.

Is it sick that I  :wub:  Stephen King, or at least his writing?  I'm getting pretty attached to Joe Hill's writing, too. 

I am still slogging my way through "Inferno" by Dan Brown. It is bad... Like a B movie bad... But I'm nearly done and I feel a strange compulsion to finish it. It's like I am laying him to rest as an author in my head and finishing his book is my way of giving him his last rites.

Ditch him and re-read Dante. ;)

I am still slogging my way through "Inferno" by Dan Brown. It is bad...

Ditch him and re-read Dante. ;)

Not a Dan Brown fan. I read The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons back when they came out, and decided I was done with him. I am however, planning to read the real Inferno this fall for an online book club. I have the new Clive James translation on my Kindle, and am hoping it will be as good as the reviews suggest.

One of the Lais of Marie de France (12th century) is a werewolf story. Great Girl studied it last year.

October spooky reading thoughts: Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House; Poe, of course; maybe Ray Bradbury? - it's been a long time; James, The Turn of the Screw; and I've got my eye on The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories which has been sitting around.

Oooh, that looks good!  Which online book club (Goodreads?) and when do they start?

It's called Bookish. I'm not sure if the link will take you there, because you have to request membership. It's one of the few Goodreads groups I'm staying with after I gave up my self-imposed WTM board restriction and decided to come back. They start in September and are taking 2 months to read it.