Menu

Ok, tell me the truth - is a finger tattoo a dumb idea?

PeacefulChaos

Ok, so I was thinking I wanted to get a tattoo on my ring finger - as far as placement goes, something like this  - sorry, the picture is sort of crappy, I just found it on pinterest.  Anyway, it would be that placement, in general, only on my left hand instead of right.  I also don't really want to do a heart, I'd rather do this .  I know it's quite a bit of detail for something so tiny, so I even considered just having the basic shape and have it colored in (black). 

Now, I'm reading up and have seen a lot of things recommending not doing it.  :(  'It will fade quickly' being the primary one.  I'm also seeing things like, 'how unoriginal they are', etc, etc.

I'm not going to lie, I'm sort of disappointed.  There are several tattoos that I want, but DH doesn't like tattoos much (he says they're not 'pretty', and that my skin is way prettier than any tattoo could be).  I was going to go ahead with a finger one because it isn't super visible (it is but it isn't - I mean yeah, the location is super visible, which is part of why I WANTED it, but at the same time it's small and not totally 'in your face', kwim?) and I figured he wouldn't have such a problem with that.  He already didn't like the idea because he said they fade fast and I'd have to get it touched up often.  I was STILL going to go ahead with it but after reading up on stuff online, I'm starting to change my mind yet again... I still would love to have it, but if it's going to look ridiculous or be a huge hassle then I don't know that it's worth it.  (Which, like I said, I'm totally disappointed about). 

The other tattoos I've been pondering at the moment are music notes behind my right ear (since I'm a musician above all else) or something on the collarbone.  Well, right under the collarbone (I had originally thought a line of text, but after reading an article/blog post about why text tattoos are a bad idea, I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't consider something else there - just not sure what).  Pretty sure I'd actually never do the collarbone thing, though, because that IS pretty in your face (for DH, anyway :) ) and I know he would hate it.  Sigh.  I've considered my foot before, too, etc.

I'm not someone who just runs out and wants a tattoo because everyone else has one.  I only get ones that mean something or are a design that I really, really like.  (I got my one tattoo - the only one I have! - when I was 19 and I don't 'regret it' or anything like that.)

So, tell me... finger tattoo= bad idea? 

eTA:  further details, if anyone is interested, in post #20.  :)

I love it.

I also don't think you're going to have to touch it up as much as people are saying, particularly if there is no color.  And even if there is....so what?  It's tiny, so touching up won't be expensive and would take less than 5 minutes. 

My opinion is that tattoos are very personal.  If you like it, it isn't all that important what others say.

I have two on my feet......one on my toe, and another on the top of my foot.  I love them both.  I love glancing down and seeing them there.  And the toe tattoo I've had for about 7 years and just had it touched up for the first time last year.

My two cents.....if you want it, go for it.

• Like 7

Honestly, to me it looks like someone took a pen to her finger.

I agree.  You could draw it yourself with a Bic or a Sharpie and it would look the same.

Your dh really doesn't like the idea of you having a tattoo.  Why introduce a potential stressor into your relationship? 

• Like 5

I agree.  You could draw it yourself with a Bic or a Sharpie and it would look the same.

Your dh really doesn't like the idea of you having a tattoo.  Why introduce a potential stressor into your relationship? 

Well, because she likes it, and she wants it, and it's her body, not his.  

• Like 13

I agree that tattoos are very personal. Draw it on in sharpie, live with it for a while and see what you think. You may decide it's not what you thought. I'm not trying to dissuade you from tattoos (I have em) but remember that hand tattoos are highly visible and there's a limit to how well you could hide it should you want to.

Also, while I think it's nice to take your DH's opinion into consideration, it's your body.

I'm also seeing things like, 'how unoriginal they are', etc, etc.

Haters gonna hate.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would do one on the hand.  Like several have said, it kind of looks like a kid went to town with a sharpie.  It also reminds me of a prison tat.  Of your other choices, I would probably push for the music notes behind the ear first (assuming you have slightly longer hair and can cover it as needed for your DH's comfort).

• Like 3

1st off, I don't have any tattoos, so these are just my thoughts, not my experiences.

Personally, I wouldn't get one behind my ear because I wouldn't be able to see it. If I were to get a tattoo, I would want to be able to see it  myself.

Have you thought about a white ink tattoo? I know you said you didn't want a heart, but here's what a white ink finger tattoo would look like.

Best wishes in whatever you decide.

ETA - not a dumb idea

• Like 2

Guest inoubliable

DH and I almost went with finger tattoos for the same reason you're thinking about it. 

We didn't. 

Not one artist in town would do it. You'd have to constantly go in for touch ups.

We know a few people with ink on their hands and fingers. They DO go in for touch ups. A lot. 

DH and I have ink on our back, chest, and arms. Some of DH's ink is 20+ years old. Never have we had touch ups. (Except for a recently badly done tat, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

I don't think your idea is a dumb idea, but I do think that some artists will downplay the touchups needed for a finger tat so that they get your business. That's crappy of them. 

• Like 1

First let me say, it's your body and it is something that would make you feel good.  My husband doesn't always like my hair color choices, or my shoes.  But again, my body.  It's not like you are planning on going out and getting sleeves drawn on.  So yes, you should do what you want.  Not do it just to piss him off, but do it because you want it. 

Second - when I first started reading, I was thinking you were going to say you wanted a finger tat in place of wedding ring and it would be something really symbolic.  If that was the case I would say go for it.  However that doesn't seem the case, and with that in mind, I am less impressed with the small finger tat, especially the diamond one.  If you are doing exactly that, it does sort of look sharpied on.  I don't know if you have a more elaborate plan.  But it sort of feels like you really one and are settling for this small thing, inside your finger, and I have to wonder if that one will really make you happy or if you will end up resenting not getting what you really want.  If it is what you really want over other things, then yes, go for it.

If it is what you are settling for to avoid an issue, while still make yourself happy, I would look around more.  You could do something small under your ankle above your heel.  It will still be seen in sandles.  Or toe rings (depends on what kind of toes you have!)  If you wear a few braclets something small on the inside of your wrist that will flash between your braclets maybe?  I like the idea of the music notes, but again that feels like you are doing it to get a tat but to avoid an issue.  

We don't always like what are spouse wears/looks.  Guys seem to have a thing for wrong kinds of jeans and funky shoes and shirts that don't always seem to tuck right or 'practical' short hair.  I see small tats as just an extention of your fashion sense of you.  Part of your personal style.  Same as there jeans they insist on buying because that is the cut/style/brand they have always bought. 

I have one tattoo, so I'm clearly not anti tattoo. But the ones that people are going to see on a daily basis, I'm cautious of. Mine is on my lower back, so I can even cover it in a swimming suit if I want. I'd make sure it's something you're willing for people to see and judge you on 24-7. I'm thinking mostly of something where it might matter - like job interviews or professional career. I was working in a career for a while where it obviously would not have been a good thing to have a readily visible tattoo. If it works for where your life is going, go with it!

• Like 1

My opinion. Your husband doesn't like tattoo's but you want to get one where it will be always be  most visible to him.  On your hand where it can't be hidden. Behind your ear, where your husband most likely likes to nibble or on your collarbone which is again an erogenous zone.  Food for thought.

Yes it is your body but in my opinion, my husband and I belong to each other (as in "I am my beloved and my beloved it mine") and what affects one, affects the other.  I'd give serious consideration to his opinion. It weighs the heaviest.

Why bother getting such a small tattoo. Just draw it in permanent marker. It will fade faster and have less buyers remorse.

• Like 2

Several of my children have tattoos, and my son has one on his finger, right about where your picture shows one. It looks good! I can't tell if it has faded... I can still see it! He actually has it on the same finger where he wears his wedding ring, and the wedding ring covers a small part of it. But, it is symbolic for him, and goes hand-in-hand with the wedding ring symbol. I like it.

I have a tattoo so I'm not anti-tattoo. I'll probably get another some day. However, I would have never done it if my DH didn't like it. That's just not nice. It isn't a haircut. It is forever. Honestly, part of my enjoyment of my tattoo is knowing DH likes it.

• Like 1

First let me say, it's your body and it is something that would make you feel good.  My husband doesn't always like my hair color choices, or my shoes.  But again, my body.  It's not like you are planning on going out and getting sleeves drawn on.  So yes, you should do what you want.  Not do it just to piss him off, but do it because you want it. 

Second - when I first started reading, I was thinking you were going to say you wanted a finger tat in place of wedding ring and it would be something really symbolic.  If that was the case I would say go for it.  However that doesn't seem the case, and with that in mind, I am less impressed with the small finger tat, especially the diamond one.  If you are doing exactly that, it does sort of look sharpied on.  I don't know if you have a more elaborate plan.  But it sort of feels like you really one and are settling for this small thing, inside your finger, and I have to wonder if that one will really make you happy or if you will end up resenting not getting what you really want.  If it is what you really want over other things, then yes, go for it.

If it is what you are settling for to avoid an issue, while still make yourself happy, I would look around more.  You could do something small under your ankle above your heel.  It will still be seen in sandles.  Or toe rings (depends on what kind of toes you have!)  If you wear a few braclets something small on the inside of your wrist that will flash between your braclets maybe?  I like the idea of the music notes, but again that feels like you are doing it to get a tat but to avoid an issue.  

We don't always like what are spouse wears/looks.  Guys seem to have a thing for wrong kinds of jeans and funky shoes and shirts that don't always seem to tuck right or 'practical' short hair.  I see small tats as just an extention of your fashion sense of you.  Part of your personal style.  Same as there jeans they insist on buying because that is the cut/style/brand they have always bought. 

It is to replace my wedding ring, sort of.  I really don't care for wearing my engagement ring any more - idky, it just doesn't really 'go' with what I wear and stuff.  I just never feel like putting it on.  So I just wear my plain ol' wedding band, which is fine - I don't mind it - but I'd like to be able to ditch it altogether.  Again, not sure why.  If me not wearing my band would bother DH (which it might, idk, I haven't asked, but he doesn't notice that I don't wear my engagement ring and he doesn't wear a wedding band, either) then I could always keep it on - whatever.  I just sort of feel like there are other things - whether it be jewelry, tattoos, whatever - that can decorate my hands and that I'll like better than a wedding band. 

That said, I really don't like any of the 'wedding band' tattoos that I've seen, which was why I was thinking of going with the diamond instead.  It's also why I gave consideration (for about 5 seconds lol) to a heart, for obvious reasons - but I don't really love hearts all that much, and it seemed super cheesy.  :P  As far as the diamond goes, Idk that it would look exactly like the one I linked - but it would be that basic design.  I looked around the internet for finger tattoo ideas (because I do like the placement either way) and liked a few but that one is the one that stuck with me the most. Placement wise, too, aside from the one on my foot (which I'm not even sure I'd still want at this point, but I've considered over the years), that's the one I've liked the most and for the longest.  A lot of the other places - wrist, ankle - don't really appeal to me all that much. 

A lot of people (IRL) think I should do the music notes on my finger (or a music note) because that's got so much to do with my life in general.  I don't have a problem with a music note on my finger, and it would be killing two birds with one stone (maybe - until I ended up finding something else that I liked for a tattoo behind my ear!  :lol: ) but I will admit I like the two better as two separate tattoos than as the same one.

As far as DH's opinion, I am taking it into consideration - which is why I'll probably never get the collarbone one.  He doesn't like short hair, either, but I chopped it all off last year (turns out I hate short hair on me, too, so that all works out anyway! :D ).  I'm not concerned about a little tattoo bothering him, but considering his dislike for them (on me) I figured putting a relatively large one in a spot like the collarbone, which he sees on a daily basis, would be kind of spiteful of me. ;) 

DH and I almost went with finger tattoos for the same reason you're thinking about it. 

We didn't. 

Not one artist in town would do it. You'd have to constantly go in for touch ups.

We know a few people with ink on their hands and fingers. They DO go in for touch ups. A lot. 

DH and I have ink on our back, chest, and arms. Some of DH's ink is 20+ years old. Never have we had touch ups. (Except for a recently badly done tat, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

I don't think your idea is a dumb idea, but I do think that some artists will downplay the touchups needed for a finger tat so that they get your business. That's crappy of them. 

Thanks!  That was kind of what I was afraid of/thinking. 

So -- funny story -- where I'm sitting right now, I had a girl walk by right before I started replying and she has a tattoo on the top of her ring finger - so I went ahead and took the opportunity to ask about it lol.  It has faded quite a lot and she has had it 2 years.  I'm guessing mine would be even worse.  :( 

Sigh...

Not once in your post... did you seem love the tat or the placement.  That is a huge warning sign to me. You are uncertain and settling, which in my opinion will only leave you disappointed.   A hand tat is one of the most visible aside from the face and many tattoo artists refuse to do them. Straight lines one the diamond are going to require a skilled hand and that makes me worry about touch ups and shifting lines.  The wear and tear on your hands is considerable and will make it fade fairly fast. I think coloring it black, will cause it to lose meaning, I think it will blur into an odd shaped blob after some years. A heart will pretty much always look like a heart (unless it really gets mangled). I don't think a solid colored diamond shape is distinct enough on a curved surface for it to still be immediately recognizable if it starts to fade or shift.

Also are you prepared for the healing time on your hand?  The more rubbing and washing you do in those first couple of months will only fade it faster. Will dh do the dishes and cleaning? I guess you could wear gloves but then you have more rubbing and even showering is going to be hard.

Honestly, I would find a few tats that you LOVE.  LOVE.  LOVE.  Talk to dh.  See if he will help you choose a placement that he will be okay with.  IF he is still dead set against it, then listen with your heart but remember it is your choice as well.  

• Like 5

We didn't. 

I'm glad you pointed that out. :thumbup:

I'm the first to admit that I don't have a clue about tattoos, so maybe I'm in the minority here, but I didn't know about the touch up thing. I mean, now that you mentioned it, it makes sense, but I'll bet a lot of people don't know about it because they assume tattoos are permanent.

The fact that it is a replacement for your wedding band to me adds insult to injury onto the fact that your dh doesn't like it. It is your body, but you are married and his opinion counts for a lot, and this is a permanent thing; I wouldn't even consider it if he is not 100% on board.

I considered doing my kids' initials on a finger (under my wedding band) but read that finger tats are not a good idea (for the reasons stated above).

• Like 5

The fact that it is a replacement for your wedding band to me adds insult to injury onto the fact that your dh doesn't like it. It is your body, but you are married and his opinion counts for a lot, and this is a permanent thing; I wouldn't even consider it if he is not 100% on board.

:iagree:

Yeah, it's Kara's body and all, so technically she can do whatever she wants with it. but if the tattoo is going to be a substitute for her wedding ring, I think her dh should have some say in the matter, because wedding rings generally hold more significance than other body decorations. If she'd said that her dh didn't care either way, that would be different, but it sounds like he does care, and it also doesn't seem like the tattoo is something she has dreamed of for a long time or anything, so I don't think it would be a huge disappointment to her if she passed on it.

• Like 3

My DH got one three years ago.  He can't wear his ring to work and on deployments he works 12 hours days, etc., His ring was always in a pocket somewhere. 

He's never had to have it touched up.  It isn't ridiculously detailed, but kinda a Celtic knot sort of idea.  He did not have the band go all the way around, as a tattoo the bottom side of the finger will just rub off eventually anyway.  the sharp edges of the lines will blur a tiny bit, which is why really detailed, thin line designs don't end up working very well long term.

I like tattoos, have two of them, but I also like my wedding band and never have to take mine off, so it wasn't something I wanted.  As far as your DH, I do agree his opinion on this one counts simply because it's your wedding ring.  Give him some time, and good reasons you want it, and maybe he'll come around....

It is to replace my wedding ring, sort of.  I really don't care for wearing my engagement ring any more - idky, it just doesn't really 'go' with what I wear and stuff. 

So, what happens when your finger tat doesn't 'go' with what you wear and stuff?

• Like 1

Uh.... a tattoo isn't a sparkly, scratchy diamond that gets caught on everything.   :001_huh:

I was afraid you'd take that as snarky. It truly wasn't.  I just meant that a tattoo is more permanent than a ring you can take off, if you no longer care for the style, and you do seem concerned about it since you broached the subject.

I'm not anti- tattoo. I've had a lovely cat tattoo on my arm for 20 years and cats 'go' with everything so you can't go wrong there ;) .

• Like 4

Uh.... a tattoo isn't a sparkly, scratchy diamond that gets caught on everything. :001_huh:

If you choose the right setting, your diamond won't get caught on anything. But the wrong setting is an incredible nuisance, and you don't always realize it until you've worn it for a while!

• Like 1

I was afraid you'd take that as snarky. It truly wasn't.  I just meant that a tattoo is more permanent than a ring you can take off, if you no longer care for the style, and you do seem concerned about it since you broached the subject.

I'm not anti- tattoo. I've had a lovely cat tattoo on my arm for 20 years and cats 'go' with everything so you can't go wrong there ;) .

Ah, sorry.  Yeah, I did take it as snarky.  :)  Apologies!  

I guess the best way for me to describe it is that I've never been a diamond ring girl (I've had it for over 12 years and never worn it other than for special occasions - most of the people I know wear theirs all the time) but I've always been a tattoo girl.  

If you choose the right setting, your diamond won't get caught on anything. But the wrong setting is an incredible nuisance, and you don't always realize it until you've worn it for a while!

Yeah, we were young and broke so it's just a princess cut (I think?  The square one?) single stone.  Both rings are also white gold which loses color pretty severely over the years - I've already had them recoated once and they need it again.  It's a pain.  Plus there's the whole ring sizing thing with me losing weight and such (hopefully) - I just figured now would be as good of a time as any to ditch the rings for good! :)

• Like 1

I like the heart hidden on the side, I have a very strong negative reaction to the diamond.  I think if you are going on your hand, the simpler the better.  Dh and I considered getting matching ring tattoos since I had developed a serious reaction to my ring, which strangely enough has gone away.  I have seen some really cute behind the ear tattoos before.  I would hesitate to put anything on my chest simply because eventually age and gravity will catch up.

All that said though, it's your body and if you like it, go for it.

Ah, sorry.  Yeah, I did take it as snarky.   :)  Apologies!  

I guess the best way for me to describe it is that I've never been a diamond ring girl (I've had it for over 12 years and never worn it other than for special occasions - most of the people I know wear theirs all the time) but I've always been a tattoo girl.  

Yeah, we were young and broke so it's just a princess cut (I think?  The square one?) single stone.  Both rings are also white gold which loses color pretty severely over the years - I've already had them recoated once and they need it again.  It's a pain.  Plus there's the whole ring sizing thing with me losing weight and such (hopefully) - I just figured now would be as good of a time as any to ditch the rings for good! :)

Have you considered having the ring remade into a ring you would wear?  I haven't worn a wedding ring in something like 8 years.  It isn't dh's favorite idea, but he doesn't really seem to care that much either. 

I don't like my original ring either, so I get that.  I am saving it for dd to have remade into something for her when she gets married.  I don't really wear any jewelry but I have thought about just getting a few different rings to wear on that finger instead of just one.  

I am not a sentimental person, so to me a wedding ring is a cultural item, and is not personal item for me. 

Ah, sorry. Yeah, I did take it as snarky. :) Apologies!

Yeah, we were young and broke so it's just a princess cut (I think? The square one?) single stone. Both rings are also white gold which loses color pretty severely over the years - I've already had them recoated once and they need it again. It's a pain. Plus there's the whole ring sizing thing with me losing weight and such (hopefully) - I just figured now would be as good of a time as any to ditch the rings for good! :)

If the tattoo thing doesn't work out, it's no big deal to just go without a ring. You know you're married; your dh knows you're married, so it's all good, right? :)

• Like 2

I want a tat in a place the the tattoo place said was bad (top of my foot).  So I have decided to purchase the kind the children get at the store (you can have them custom made to order).   I can have the colors I want, no pain, and it stays "fresh" looking all the time--- whenever I replace it.  So I can have it when I am wearing sandals all summer, but not have it fading all winter.  

I can also try it out for almost no commitment!!

• 3 years later...

I'm not sure I would do one on the hand.  Like several have said, it kind of looks like a kid went to town with a sharpie.  It also reminds me of a prison tat.  Of your other choices, I would probably push for the music notes behind the ear first (assuming you have slightly longer hair and can cover it as needed for your DH's comfort).

Finger tattoos make me think prison tat as well. I like the music note behind the ear idea too.

ack - should have read all the comments....didn't realize it was 4 years old. Sorry!

Edited by AmandaVT

😄 To be fair, topics do tend to circle around, so unless we're really paying attention, it's easy to just think someone's asking the same question again. That's what I thought when I read the thread title: Seems like there was a discussion about this a while back.

I want to know, too...did the OP get the tattoo?

• Like 2

I almost clicked on the spammer link because there were several links to various tattoos!  Yikes! 

Oh, I can easily see myself doing that! I had already clicked on some of the other links before I noticed how old the thread was. 

I still want to know what PeacefulChaos decided. If she got the tattoo, we need pics! 

• Like 1

Sorry, I did not read the other responses. But, as someone who sees a lot of elderly naked bodies, I can say that a tattoo anywhere is a bad idea.

I have 2 tattoos and have immediate plans for at least 2 more. I don't imagine I'll care much what people think of my naked body when I'm elderly (heck, I don't really care what people think of it now).

• Like 3

Sorry, I did not read the other responses. But, as someone who sees a lot of elderly naked bodies, I can say that a tattoo anywhere is a bad idea.

Because non-tattooed elderly bodies are so glorious??

• Like 5