Menu

Curricula vs. Curriculums

Erin

So this is on my mind...

I never thought much of the general populace using curriculums as the plural of curriculum.  Consequently, seeing it on blogs, forum posts, etc. doesn't particularly bother me.  

But when did it become acceptable for those who should know better to use "curriculums" instead of "curricula?"

I just got the homeschool sale catalog from CBD and they're advertising all of their great "curriculums."

Like I said, I can ignore it when it's society at large, but a book company?  A book company selling curricula?  

They should know better.  

And Sadie, "ain't" is in the dictionary, too, so I'm not seeing where that's a particularly persuasive argument.  ;)

I think that there is a difference between 'ain't' or 'funner' and 'curriculum/curricula'.  I wish that most people used 'curricula', but as foreign words are absorbed into English they lose their original forms.  I don't think I have seen a man described as 'naif' in English, but that's actually the masculine form of 'naive'.  

Inflections of 'naïf' (adj): f: naïve, mpl: naïfs, fpl: naïves

Now that 'naive' is an English word, it no longer follows the rules of its original language.

Laura (who can be as pedantic as the next woman, but really tries to restrain herself)

I have no opinion, because the vast majority of homeschoolers misuse the word anyway, so it doesn't matter. :tongue_smilie:

For example, ABeka is a publisher, not a curriculum. Saxon 65 is textbook, not a curriculum. Writing Strands is instructional material, not a curriculum. So there you go. "Curriculum" is the course of study offered by an institution of education, not a stack of books.

So there's my hump day opinion. :tongue_smilie:

I have no opinion, because the vast majority of homeschoolers misuse the word anyway, so it doesn't matter. :tongue_smilie:

They definitely use the word differently than school educators do. If you asked a school teacher what curriculum the school uses for math, she'd probably wonder what you meant, and the reply wouldn't be a simple one-word answer.

They definitely use the word differently than school educators do. If you asked a school teacher what curriculum the school uses for math, she'd probably wonder what you meant, and the reply wouldn't be a simple one-word answer.

A classroom teacher would give you course descriptions. :-)

Last week I saw something on Craigslist that I wanted my dh to see.  I told him it was the third one down when he typed in homeschool.

He did and couldn't find it.  I told him homeschool.  One word.  He said "I have to misspell it?"  Yes dear, you do.

Language evolves.  Thank goodness or we would all still be speaking with thees and thous.

Last week I saw something on Craigslist that I wanted my dh to see.  I told him it was the third one down when he typed in homeschool.

He did and couldn't find it.  I told him homeschool.  One word.  He said "I have to misspell it?"  Yes dear, you do.

"Homeschool" is misspelled? I've been writing it that way since 1982. o_0 There has never been a consensus on whether it is one word or two. Is that what you mean?

Good gravy! I've always thought it was one word. I say we vote on it.

:cheers2:

Oh yay--another poll! :lol:

And then we can have one on whether we should say "home education" or "homeschool/home school." It's Wednesday!! Let's live dangerously!!

Well I have always spelled it with one word, homeschool (but it is red lined here just now as I am typing but home school is not).

But there really is no arguing with DH, so I just said "yes dear". 

BTW as a homeschooling mother, I should be able to spell my title anyway I want!!!! (as long as it obeys the rules of phonics)

Am I real homeschooler if I say that finding out I've been using curriculums instead of curricula makes me feel bad?

I had no idea about the octopus.  It's nice to come here and learn something new. :)

Am I real homeschooler if I say that finding out I've been using curriculums instead of curricula makes me feel bad?

I had no idea about the octopus.  It's nice to come here and learn something new. :)

Ahhh, but are you a homeschooler or a homeschooling mother?  Does homeschooler mean the teacher --- or the student.

Or is the student the homeschooled?

Gosh this is so confusing--- we need to make our own dictionary!

Ahhh, but are you a homeschooler or a homeschooling mother?  Does homeschooler mean the teacher --- or the student.

Or is the student the homeschooled?

Gosh this is so confusing--- we need to make our own dictionary!

Since I'm learning new things in this thread, that would make me the homeschooled student, wouldn't it?  :confused1:

I think a homeschool dictionary would be great!