Menu

We've just posted the first five instructor and first five student sections from "Study and Teaching Guide for The History of the Ancient World," coming next month from Peace Hill Press.

Susan Wise Bauer's "The History of the Ancient World" is widely used in advanced high-school history classes, as well as by home educating parents. This Study and Teaching Guide, designed for use by both parents and teachers, provides a full curriculum with study questions and answers, critical thinking assignments, essay topics, instructor rubrics, and test forms. Explanations for answers and teaching tips are also included.

Designed by historian and teacher Julia Kaziewicz, in cooperation with Susan Wise Bauer, makes "The History of the Ancient World" more accessible to parents & teachers.

We'll answer your questions on this thread, if you have any.

Thank you!

Just a note, I almost overlooked the sample initially because it seemed to be part of the SOTW4 materials.  Perhaps it could be set apart for easier viewing.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for the suggestion...that's a good idea. I added a space between this product and the SOTW 4 products; hope that helps.

When will this be ready for purchase?

We're thinking it will take about a month for the books to be in warehouses and ready to sell (and of course the downloadable PDF will be available before that). Could be a bit sooner...we'll post updates on Facebook as we have more specific information. These first five chapters should keep your student busy for the next month or so.

We're thinking it will take about a month for the books to be in warehouses and ready to sell (and of course the downloadable PDF will be available before that). Could be a bit sooner...we'll post updates on Facebook as we have more specific information. These first five chapters should keep your student busy for the next month or so.

Thanks Justin.  PDF files for purchase as soon as possible would be great.  Some of us are adjusting to use HoAW in a unit studies format similar to some of the college schedules, which means we are moving chapters around.

I've started reading through the guide. Doing the map work will be very difficult for those who have the Kindle edition of HOTAW, however. Any suggestions for where to get these maps? Perhaps make them available separately like student pages are for so many of the other products? Including them in the guide itself would be great, but I suppose it is too late for that.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've started reading through the guide. Doing the map work will be very difficult for those who have the Kindle edition of HOTAW, however. Any suggestions for where to get these maps? Perhaps make them available separately like student pages are for so many of the other products? Including them in the guide itself would be great, but I suppose it is too late for that.  :)

thewaka, thanks to your suggestion and others like it, we created a Map Supplement, for people who have the Kindle version of the textbook but still want to do the Map Exercises in the Study Guide. It took us a little while to wrangle all the PDFs, but here it is.

thewaka, thanks to your suggestion and others like it, we created a Map Supplement, for people who have the Kindle version of the textbook but still want to do the Map Exercises in the Study Guide. It took us a little while to wrangle all the PDFs, but here it is.

Woohoo! My girls will be *so glad* they now have to do the mapwork too mwahahaha

Truly, thank you for this.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any update on when the Medieval World guide will be ready? I am hoping to use it with my freshman daughter in the fall.  I LOVE the book, and could probably make a go of it on my own, but a guide would be so helpful.

brookspr,

We're hard at work on that one right now! We HOPE...not promise, unfortunately, but HOPE...to have it ready for y'all to use in the fall when the schoolyear starts. What we can do, though, is post a free PDF copy of the first ten or twelve chapters...we will be doing that in the late summer, to tide people over while the printing process continues. When we do that, we'll announce it on the forums, and I'll ask the PHP Facebook fairy to mention it on his/her/its/their page as well.

Thanks for your interest!

Question - would this be satisfactory for a 7th grade student? As my 7th grader cycles back into Ancient History next year. Or is this too advanced for middle schoolers?

mirabillis,

It would almost certainly be too advanced for a 7th-grader. We recommend starting it in 9th grade, or even 10th.

All ears here. I have kids going into 5th and 7th grades. However, I'm discovering the fun of history myself, and might get these for ME. Thanks for the notice!

mirabillis,

It would almost certainly be too advanced for a 7th-grader. We recommend starting it in 9th grade, or even 10th.

Thanks! Will save it for later then. ;-) What would you suggest I do when I'm just starting the cycle again in 7th grade.

7th = Ancient

8th = Medieval

9th = Early Modern

10th = Modern

How do I get back to ancients in high school - what should I do?

Thanks! Will save it for later then. ;-) What would you suggest I do when I'm just starting the cycle again in 7th grade.

7th = Ancient

8th = Medieval

9th = Early Modern

10th = Modern

How do I get back to ancients in high school - what should I do?

In the front of the SOTW Activity Books, there's a section called "Multi-Level Teaching" (it's part of the "How to use this book" section) which discusses cycling through the stages with older kids, and how to beef it up with additional readings, timeline work, writing, etc. There's also a long chapter in the Well-Trained Mind, called "Why 1492: History and Geography," which is all about middle-grades history.

I'm good on the cycling for multi-levels. It's that it's taken more time to get through our 4-year cycle and so with the above in mind, that leaves us with only 2 years to cycle back. So what do I do? 

Oh, I see what you mean.

You could do it various ways...you could simply go through the first two levels faster...a seventh-grader could handle a quicker read-through of SOTW 1 and SOTW 2, for instance. Or do some summer work.

Susan Bauer gives some more detailed recommendations, including a couple of sample schedules/charts, in this article: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/older-child/  (it was written a while back, so it doesn't mention our newer high-school history resources, but it's still quite useful).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Robin Jo in NC

I've just purchased the Study & Teaching Guide for The History of the Ancient World.  It looks great and my rising 10th grader is looking forward to using it this fall.  An earlier post mentioned that there are test forms as part of this curriculum, but there are none included as part of the study and teaching guide.   Justin, did you mean that Sections I, II, or III may be used as tests depending upon how the instructor wishes to use the exercises or are there actual test forms that I've missed purchasing?  Also, has anyone planned a weekly schedule for using the text and guide so that all 85 chapters may be completed in a year?  Thanks!

I've just purchased the Study & Teaching Guide for The History of the Ancient World.  It looks great and my rising 10th grader is looking forward to using it this fall.  An earlier post mentioned that there are test forms as part of this curriculum, but there are none included as part of the study and teaching guide.   Justin, did you mean that Sections I, II, or III may be used as tests depending upon how the instructor wishes to use the exercises or are there actual test forms that I've missed purchasing?  Also, has anyone planned a weekly schedule for using the text and guide so that all 85 chapters may be completed in a year?  Thanks!

Hi Robin Jo,

We meant that sections I, II, or III may be used as tests...we didn't make separate test forms.

• 3 weeks later...