Menu

Any recommendations for replacements for Frank Schaffer books?

I have the 2009 edition of WTM.  In the Logic stage chapter on language arts WTM has a recommendation for some remedial books for students at this stage who have no previous experience in narration and summary writing -- WTM recommends the Frank Schaffer Publications books in the Basic Skills: Language Arts line.  The books specifically mentioned are:  Story Elements, Grades 5-6, Summarizing, Grades 5-6, Reading for Understanding, Grade 6, and Reading for Understanding, Grades 7-8.

Unfortunately, these books are difficult or impossible to find anymore.  Can anyone recommend similar books, please?  We are switching over to homeschooling from brink&mortar school, and narration and summary writing is rather new to us.  If need be we will work it out ourselves, but I'm the type who likes to have a reputable book on the subject when diving into anything new.  Mostly I don't want to skip anything important, and want to present it in a coherent and not overwhelming fashion.

Recommendations, anyone?

I have the 2009 edition of WTM.  In the Logic stage chapter on language arts WTM has a recommendation for some remedial books for students at this stage who have no previous experience in narration and summary writing -- WTM recommends the Frank Schaffer Publications books in the Basic Skills: Language Arts line.  The books specifically mentioned are:  Story Elements, Grades 5-6, Summarizing, Grades 5-6, Reading for Understanding, Grade 6, and Reading for Understanding, Grades 7-8.

Unfortunately, these books are difficult or impossible to find anymore.  Can anyone recommend similar books, please?  We are switching over to homeschooling from brink&mortar school, and narration and summary writing is rather new to us.  If need be we will work it out ourselves, but I'm the type who likes to have a reputable book on the subject when diving into anything new.  Mostly I don't want to skip anything important, and want to present it in a coherent and not overwhelming fashion.

Recommendations, anyone?

Story Elements, Grades 5-6

Summarizing, Grades 5-6

These are still in print and both available on amazon for less than $5. I don't know anything specific about the Reading for Understanding series that was published by Frank Schaffer Publications, but there are many, many of this sort of workbook.The current workbook by Frank Schaffer Publications is called Reading Comprehension.

HTH-

Mandy