Menu

New writing program from CAP...

Clear Creek

I have been searching for a writing program for my rising 4th grader and unable to find exactly what she needs, and lo and behold, I get an email today from Classical Academic Press about a new writing program they are releasing, so I check out their website and find a progym curriculum that looks like something I can actually use!  I tried CW Aesop several years ago, and it was a disaster - to the point that I have not considered a single progym program since then.  But this one looks very different...it has retellings, but they are retellings with a point - telling it from the point of view of different characters, summarizing it, amplifying it, practicing copia, using different settings, etc.  My daughter loves storytelling, and the way this is designed it will really appeal to that part of her.

Hmmm.  It is good enough that I want to send my oldest child through it double-speed.  I don't know the release dates of the future books, though.  Lots to ponder.  Anyway, here is the link to the page on their website that has the new books.  They are sharing a discount code on facebook and through their newsletter for pre-orders.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also looked through all the samples and really like what I see. I would have loved that for my boys a few years ago. Maybe in a few years with my youngest kiddo....

. We just had a baby, 8 yrs after our last. I get giddy thinking about the curriculum I can use with him that I never got a chance to use because my other children were too old. :)

I just ordered this for my rising 4th grader as well. I've been looking and looking for a writing program for her. She loves to write, but WWE (which I like and she doesn't mind) doesn't really encourage that creative streak. This looks perfect, a creative writing version of WWE. 

Thanks so much! I showed my dd9 the samples and she wants to start right now.  :hurray:

Does anyone know if CAP has communicated when further levels will be available? I would hope/expect their intention would be to have them available in time for those buying now to continue with the next levels next year but I can't find any comment on it.

I just ordered this for my rising 4th grader as well.

You did use the 20% off code, right? (Just noticed it on FB)

I didn't look at it closely last night, because I missed the "using it for 4th grade" part and saw the title "Writing & Rhetoric", making me think it was for high school. :lol: This morning, I looked at the samples and realize I shouldn't have looked at them. :tongue_smilie:

Already have writing program, already have writing program, already have writing program...

Does anyone know if CAP has communicated when further levels will be available? I would hope/expect their intention would be to have them available in time for those buying now to continue with the next levels next year but I can't find any comment on it.

You did use the 20% off code, right? (Just noticed it on FB)

I sent them an email this morning asking this question.  I'm going to use it for my rising 3rd grader. If I get an answer, I'll post it here.

Writing and Rhetoric looks great! We are set for this year, but I'll keep my eye on it for early next year. One of my little ones will finish Classical Writing's Aesop at 8, and I'm leery about starting an 8yo on Homer.

I'm ordering for my third grader. It looks like Writing Tales or CW Aesop, but with slight differences.

I do like how CAP seems to print very appealing, kid-friendly books. This one looks like a format my son will enjoy. From what I can see, I prefer this one over Aesop or WT just because it doesn't have extra grammar or spelling, just a bit of copywork and dictation. With the Aesop guide it was easy enough to do my own thing with it, but with WT it just felt like we were skipping half the pages so as not to be redundant with our other programs,

I looks Iike this program has some introduction of literary terms and genres, which is nice,

I wonder how it compares with the first two levels of CC.

I've always wanted to implement the progym but after buying and reading through CW Aesop, I much preferred separating spelling and grammar from writing instruction. Maybe the upper levels are better?

CAP's workbook is kid-friendly, and for some kids when it comes to writing, that's important. I love the prompts such as phrases that need to be in the responses. One of the reasons why the NaNoWriMo's workbook is working out well for us is that it's fun and it has a lot of questions to help kids start writing.

I do have WWE3, BW, and IEW but I can't resist this. I haven't paid as much attention to writing as I have with math due to DD's age but now that she will be a rising 3rd grader, it's about time that I focus more on this subject.

I asked them on FB about future editions.  The plan is to release 2 books per year (1 full year). Of course there are always hiccups.  I'm thinking about it for my 4th grader but I would hate for there to be a problem one year and then have to jump ship.  I also already have writing cirricula.  Trying to put my blinders on!

I also am a sucker for their presentation.  We are a very visual family and their books all appeal to us!

My 9 year old will use it this year although I intend to help him jump between IEW and CAP's writing. He's a rising 3rd grader so we have plenty of time although writing will be very consistent this year. 

Thanks for the FB discount recommendation. Shipping was a lot so that 20% helped!

My 9 year old will use it this year although I intend to help him jump between IEW and CAP's writing. He's a rising 3rd grader so we have plenty of time although writing will be very consistent this year. 

Thanks for the FB discount recommendation. Shipping was a lot so that 20% helped!

I'm planning on jumping between CAP and Igniting Your Writing 1. CAP is only three days a week, so we'll be doing grammar on the other two days. In the teacher notes they recommend that you use CAP one week and a grammar program the next week, but I'm going to do grammar on the off days and use Igniting Your Writing the weeks between CAP to focus on good sentence and paragraph construction.

I don't think jumping between writing programs is much of a problem in mid-elementary. Maybe even later, but I don't know enough yet to say about that. :D

I may change my mind, but at this point I fully intend to move to the WWS series by fifth or sixth grade for this student that will do CAP fable and narrative, and I'm also doing plenty of WWE style dictations and narration with him. Ds1 did well with WWS1 in 5th, and I did Aesop/WT style assignments with him as well as WWE stuff before that.

I really never count on any company staying on track for putting out new programs. It just doesn't seem to happen when expected, and I completely understand that this is just often how it is in publishing. Unless the levels are all already written and tested. I also am never sure that the next levels will still be what we need, so I'm not going to worry anymore about sticking with something throughout, except maybe for math and grammar.

Just wanted to throw this out there... These are also available for pre-order at Amazon and are eligible for free shipping. For me, they would cost $6.65 more at Amazon then if I opted to use the code CAP offers for their site, assuming I chose media mail. UPS ground (the next option at CAP) would be $2.73 more than Amazon. Also, Amazon charges tax while CAP didn't. So if you're planning an order from Amazon anyway, you could consider ordering them there.

Just wanted to throw this out there... These are also available for pre-order at Amazon and are eligible for free shipping. For me, they would cost $6.65 more at Amazon then if I opted to use the code CAP offers for their site, assuming I chose media mail. UPS ground (the next option at CAP) would be $2.73 more than Amazon. Also, Amazon charges tax while CAP didn't. So if you're planning an order from Amazon anyway, you could consider ordering them there.

I only see the student book on Amazon, not the teacher book?

Thanks! I got the 1st set from CAP (didn't I say I don't need a writing program? :lol:), but if we need the 2nd set, I can order it from Amazon. The CAP set includes mp3 files of the fables, though I strongly doubt that's necessary. The 20% code basically took off shipping.

I imagine RR will probably also carry it, since they carry other CAP products? Good to have options. :)

Thanks so much for the Amazon links! That option makes it so much less tempting to buy both sets NOW to get the 20% off (especially having just figured out the shipping costs from CAP directly).  I heart Prime shipping.

Thanks, too, for the info about how long the discount will be available. 

This place is so helpful. At least, you help me spend more money than I meant to. But, it's on such cool books!

How did you figure out shipping from CAP? Do you have to go through the whole ordering process and then cancel? Or is there a place on the site that shows shipping costs? I can't seem to find it.

Put the item in your cart, then click on "estimate shipping" from within your cart.

It was $6.88 for one set of books media mail to Alabama. I think 2 sets was in the $8 range. Basically, the 20% discount covers shipping.

If I had been able to find it on Amazon before ordering, I probably would have done that. Oh well. I'm ok with purchasing from CAP directly this time. They get more money that way. Next time when I don't have a discount code, I'll probably just get it from Amazon (plus 2 day shipping has spoiled me).

I'm planning on jumping between CAP and Igniting Your Writing 1. CAP is only three days a week, so we'll be doing grammar on the other two days. In the teacher notes they recommend that you use CAP one week and a grammar program the next week, but I'm going to do grammar on the off days and use Igniting Your Writing the weeks between CAP to focus on good sentence and paragraph construction.

This is also a good idea Chelli. I think I own IYW (sheepish grin) and will take a peek. DS is going to use FLL 3 (rather than my beloved R&S) and it's a 3 day a week thing. I'll have to come up with a loop for him and I'll come back to share once I have it figured out. 

I just ordered this for my rising 4th grader as well. I've been looking and looking for a writing program for her. She loves to write, but WWE (which I like and she doesn't mind) doesn't really encourage that creative streak. This looks perfect, a creative writing version of WWE. 

Thanks so much! I showed my dd9 the samples and she wants to start right now.  :hurray:

Oh Chelli!  I can't wait to hear if how you guys like it!! Keep me informed!!

Oh Chelli!  I can't wait to hear if how you guys like it!! Keep me informed!!

I'm so giddy about getting it that I have the release date circled on my calendar!

I have had the most difficult time finding a writing program that was solid, but allowed for the natural creative bent that my dd9 has. We have used WWE which works, but it's not challenging to dd at all. She has always been a great narrator and has finally come into dictation this year like a champ. We tried IEW this year and used it for half the year, but it's way too repetitive and formulaic for dd (and for me!). She started out liking it, but after about three months she was only suffering through it and not enthused about writing anymore. I was tempted to try Bravewriter, but I'm afraid it wouldn't get done around here without an actual lesson plan. I also thought about Writing Tales, but I don't need spelling and grammar since we already have things we like for those subjects.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes that this is what I'm hoping it will be: the structure I need, the narration/dictation I like in WWE, and the creative writing aspect my dd enjoys. 

I am sooo tempted by this.  I have a bunch of writing resources...but hey, what's one more.  It looks like you could probably use it with just the student manual -- the teacher's manual just gives answers and examples, but I think they are pretty self explanatory.  I suppose I should use the first lesson with DD to see how she responds to it!

I looked at it, but it seemed really wordy to me. (Multiple choice questions didn't help it's case. :glare: ) I guess I like to the point material without so much leading word by word.

I think I'll stick with my used copy of "Composition in the Classical Tradition" with the posts at Afterthoughts to flesh it out. 

I am sooo tempted by this. I have a bunch of writing resources...but hey, what's one more. It looks like you could probably use it with just the student manual -- the teacher's manual just gives answers and examples, but I think they are pretty self explanatory. I suppose I should use the first lesson with DD to see how she responds to it!

It appears that you would only lose out on the dictation by skipping the tm. I saddened to say that I think I might need the tm to be sure of my answers too, lol.

It appears that you would only lose out on the dictation by skipping the tm. I saddened to say that I think I might need the tm to be sure of my answers too, lol.

We can do dictation sentences with our spelling program, so I was planning to skip that portion anyway.  Or make up my own!  I am totally willing to do that to save $$.  But, I can't spend any money this week for sure, so I'll be forced to think on it.  Probably a good thing.  It sounds silly, but I am very drawn to the "look" of this program (I love their curvy font they use for the headings), which is completely not a reason to buy it.  :lol:

I really like some aspects of this program. I like the dictation better than WWE, which at Level 3 now seems a bit much at times. I think it is a bit more explicit in instruction and I like the extra bits of info for the teacher. I don't care for the multiple choice either but can see the info given as great starter points for discussion and dialogue if used well. I was planning on doing some additional writing instruction along w/ WWE but I'm certainly not opposed to using something pre-made! I REALLY like the focus on the oral retellings!!!! I've wanted to incorporate that more into our schooling. I actually printed off a vintage program with a similar focus but we've been busy w/ everything else and I haven't used any of it yet.

@soror - Care to name the vintage program?

@warneral - I would love it if any of the progym programs were PDFs. Three (four?) companies now, and nothing re-usable inside the family from any of them. Which is why I picked something different.

Writing and Rhetoric looks great! We are set for this year, but I'll keep my eye on it for early next year. One of my little ones will finish Classical Writing's Aesop at 8, and I'm leery about starting an 8yo on Homer.

Scratch that. It looks like these books would just repeat Aesop skills, and the next level won't be out in time for this DD. She absolutely thrives on the progym geared writing though. Adding rereading the Homer core to see if an altered plan is feasible to my to-do list...

I love the page layout.  I wish they had a less expensive PDF version and that the next level would be available soon!

@soror - Care to name the vintage program?

@warneral - I would love it if any of the progym programs were PDFs. Three (four?) companies now, and nothing re-usable inside the family from any of them. Which is why I picked something different.

According to their Facebook group, they are releasing e-books in a few weeks. They also said that the next two books are well on their way to being completed so they are on schedule to release the next two so far