Menu

If you follow Paleo/Primal, what do you eat for breakfast?

Ginevra

I'm sorry if that question is supremely dense. Is there anything besides eggs/bacon or some variation of that basic theme? What I really want is something I don't have to freakin' cook, which is not to say that I don't like to cook, only I don't like it much at 7 a.m.

When I just can't bear to pop more grease all over the kitchen, I eat Chia Coconut Granola with Almond Milk. I think it's a decent option, but it's not Paleo.

Sometimes I wonder if people lose weight eating Paleo because they are standing in kitchen full of protein that just don't want to prepare. :p They're like the mule who couldn't decide whether he wanted hay or oats so he died not deciding!

I plan on making a paleo version of scotch eggs and some other baked egg/veg/meat casserole type things that I can just reheat in the morning, for when I start my Whole 30 next month. The a.m. effort then is no more than nuking a hot pocket would be, it just takes some planning ahead.

* Reheat leftovers from dinner the night before

* Saute sausage (pre-cooked) and chopped vegetables (e.g., zucchini, peppers, salsa).  Top with a dollop of sour cream and sometimes sliced avocado

* 3-ingredient pancakes (blend 1 egg, 1/2 banana, dash of vanilla extract) with a side of sausage

* Quiche or mini quiche

I can't have eggs or dairy so this is what I have come up with.  Started on my Whole 30 and kept up with it.

I cook some sweet potatoes...usually just basic cooking.  Occasionally I get creative and make it more of a hash. I add cinnamon and coconut oil to the sweet potatoes.  Then I cook compliant sausage (no funky stuff or sugar or anything...usually from Trader Joes).  While that's cooking I saute either spinach or kale and add some sea salt.  Mix it all together...and it's my breakfast.  I usually make it Sunday night and have enough for the week.  I sometimes vary it by subbing in ground turkey for sausage, switching the kale and spinach around, adding a little chopped apple to the sweet potatoes, or adding a little bacon to the spinach/kale when I cook it.

Put sausage in the bottom of muffin tins. Crack an egg on top. Bake at 350 until done. They reheat very nicely in the microwave. One pound of loose sausage makes 12 "muffins".

This is really great until your stupid family decides they like these better than the cereal that they are allowed to eat. Stupid family.

Put sausage in the bottom of muffin tins. Crack an egg on top. Bake at 350 until done. They reheat very nicely in the microwave. One pound of loose sausage makes 12 "muffins".

My kids love these egg muffins. They even taste fine cold if you cook some up and keep them in the fridge for a few days. Great to eat on the run for early morning activities or road trips. I usually do half with chopped grape tomatoes and green onions instead of sausage to please my non meat eating kid.

I'm not sure if it's 100% paleo or not, but a paleo friend suggested this really yummy recipe when we went gluten-free. Cut up a ripe pear in a bowl. Top with warm toasted nuts mixed with coconut flakes, cinnamon (I usually used a bit of brown sugar too), and whatever berries or other fruit you like. Serve with cold milk /almond milk. Something about the quantity of pear plus crunchiness of the toasted nuts really helped us make the switch from cereal.

I'm not sure if it's 100% paleo or not, but a paleo friend suggested this really yummy recipe when we went gluten-free. Cut up a ripe pear in a bowl. Top with warm toasted nuts mixed with coconut flakes, cinnamon (I usually used a bit of brown sugar too), and whatever berries or other fruit you like. Serve with cold milk /almond milk. Something about the quantity of pear plus crunchiness of the toasted nuts really helped us make the switch from cereal.

Yum!

I have bacon and berries most every day.

Another good option is to make a crustless quiche and then zap slices in the microwave. My proportions for crustless quiche are:

1 1/2 cups sauteed veggies

1/2 cup meat (cooked bacon, ham, sausage)

1 cup grated sharp cheddar

Place in a greased 9-inch DEEP DISH glass pie plate.

Whisk 6 eggs, 1 cup WHOLE milk, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and oregano, basil, and thyme to taste. Pour on top of veggies/meat/cheese. Lightly stir with a fork. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and bake for 40 - 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

I keep boiled eggs in the frig for mornings when I don't want to cook. I either slice them up and eat as is or make avocado deviled eggs with them.

Not sure if it's paleo, but it is whole30...

I also keep cashew, walnut, and or pecan butter in stock to have with sliced apples or bananas or celery for times when I don't want something egg based.

Uncooked sausage?

Nm, I read the rest of the thread and saw cooked.

I'Sometimes I wonder if people lose weight eating Paleo because they are standing in kitchen full of protein that just don't want to prepare. :p

This was the stinkin' funniest thing I have read in a long time!!! lol

I am not Paleo but do Zone (which is high protein) and I spent my whole walk this morning trying to think of some more interesting thing to do with protein!!! Plus dh can't have much beef/pork so I am sick to DEATH of chicken!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all! I appreciate it so much. I'm gonna make paleo granola, make that pear/nut deliciousness and try the sausage/egg "muffins" as well. Very, very appreciated!

I'm not terribly exciting in the kitchen these days my current favorites are:

sweet potato hashbrowns and fried eggs

ruby red grapefruit peeled and chopped in chunks topped w/ coconut milk and chopped walnuts- or the same w/ blueberries

Elana's Pantry has an awesome paleo bread recipe and paleo granola- I'm more on Whole 30 right now though so both of those are out but I sure do enjoy them when not and I feel like cooking.

I used to find that I had to have strict protein in the am but but it doesn't bother me so much anymore. Some mornings I just don't eat at all and I'm fine.

Another few "muffin" options:

- fill half a bell pepper with chorizo (cooked), egg, and cheese (optional). Bake at 350 until set. I make a dozen of these bit they go fast!

-line a muffin tin with bacon or deli ham (one slice per muffin) and fill with scrambled (raw) eggs. Cook until set.

- elana's pantry has several recipes for almond flour muffins if you need a break from eggs.

I tried this simple recipe from a paleo website:

Put some canned salmon, avocado, and sauerkraut in a bowl.  Eat. 

I thought it was pretty good.  Maybe it will be breakfast one day this week since I have all the ingredients on hand.

I use uncooked sausage.

Me too. But, I spread the sausage on the bottom and up the sides of the muffins cups to make cups. I cook them a few minutes on their own before putting the egg in. I cook them until they are slightly underdone. Then, I reheat in the micro without over cooking them. I've eaten these every weekday morning for the last 3 weeks. I think I need a new breakfast idea...

I tried this today and it was awesome. I told dh it is my new favorite breakfast.

Sometimes I wonder if people lose weight eating Paleo because they are standing in kitchen full of protein that just don't want to prepare. :p They're like the mule who couldn't decide whether he wanted hay or oats so he died not deciding!

Yep! That's been me for the past few weeks. I've been so busy I haven't had time to cook. I'm down 4 lbs. :D

When I'm not busy, I tend to eat eggs if I eat anything in the morning. I did eat some leftover tuna one day. That was yummy! I was using heavy whipping cream in my coffee which gave me plenty of fat to keep me full until 12pm-2pmish, but have had to cut the dairy. Now I'm using coconut cream and am finally adjusting to the lower fat content. It wasn't enough calories to start and I was super hungry by 10am but after going going going for the past three weeks, I've adjusted to it.