Menu

Sequential Spelling or Spelling Power?

I want to do some thorough review in spelling with my ds12, as he still tends to spell in a very phonetic manner. I've had both Sequential Spelling and Spelling Power recommended, so am looking for feedback on either or both of them.

I know I wouldn't "need" the student books for Sequential, just the tm. Would I need the student books for Spelling Power? Also, is there much of a difference between the 3rd and 4th editions of SP?

Thanks!

These programs are designed for two totally different types of learners. Those that are "natural" spellers do well with Spelling Power. I never used any student books, just the one main book and a notebook or loose leaf paper. But, my book is 14 years old and on its last student, so maybe there are more bells and whistles to it these days.

Sequential spelling is totally different, it teaches the student to build up words from small bases, adding additional letters, suffixes and prefixes. It was designed for those who are challenged by learning spelling. Last time I looked, there were samples available on the web site. I did use student books with after the first lesson or two, it seemed to help with organization.

That's my limited experience. You say these have been recommended to you, have you taken time to thoroughly review each? It kind of sounds like your student needs something in the middle - a review rather than a completely different strategy? Maybe someone here will have an additional recommendation for you.

I've used them both, and have settled on Rod & Staff Spelling.  I'd recommend the grade 6 book.  You can see samples on the website.

Spelling Power & Sequential Spelling are both good programs, I just like the ease and teaching of Rod & Staff better.  Of the 2 listed, we saw more improvement with Sequential Spelling.  I didn't ever buy any student workbooks for either program.

Sequential Spelling also has a way to test and build a spelling program on just what is needed. It can also be used with spellingcity.com

I've used Spelling Power for a few months and Seq. Spelling 1-6 books.

The only disadvantage in Seq Spelling would be if you bought all 7-8 books and tried to do spelling 10 times a week to go through all the books. It would definitely have to be customized.

I used Spelling Power with my daughter (now a college graduate) from about 7th through 9th grades.  She is not a natural speller.  It improved her spelling (well, perhaps simply paying attention to spelling caused the improvement).  That said, I became familiar with Sequential Spelling after that time.  Given a chance to re-do, I'd select Sequential Spelling.  I think that the student books are not required in either case.

Regards,

Kareni