Menu

When it says an apt is in a "charming community" what do you think?

BlueTaelon

Here it tends to mean that noise is not welcomed. We looked for those that say "kid-friendly" community when we were renting. The noise tolerance for kids playing were higher and there were more kids facilities in the rental community. The one we stayed in had free Sunday brunch, Thursday game night, free tennis lessons for kids of renters, family movie nights, family yoga sessions too.

I think it's someone trying to rent a small house in our backwoods, backward, middle of no where town. Some nut would say it's "charming" because dh and I took the old United Methodist church and turned it into house, plus there is a bank building that's about 150 years old and still going strong.

What they won't say in the ad is that USPS plans on closing the post office once the lease expires on the building and the current hours are only 1-4 p.m. so if you are a working person, good luck getting your mail...no Saturday hours, no rural delivery, and the PS school bus doesn't roll into town until 4:15 so you can't ask your kids to get the mail after school. This however, could be described as quaint.

Now, that said, there would be reasons to move this "charming" hamlet - namely very low COL which means you could rent a three bedroom two bath house in nice condition with a decent garden plot, and retired people who will watch out for your kids when they are walking around the neighborhood...everyone is on board with not spraying pesticides and herbicides much anymore so we've seen a return of honeybees, bumblebees, and butterflies galore as well as some gorgeous song birds that many areas of Michigan do not have due to the lower insect population from all the spraying, etc. Therefore, I wouldn't automatically assume it's a bad neighborhood. Just very likely someone trying to describe a rather "bland" neighborhood with a term that might get people to take a look.

Around here, the code word "charming" means either a small house, or that there's a built in buffet and nice wood work.

It's also used in about every other ad.  So it ends up meaning nothing at all.

I don't know that I'd read much into it unless it was a standard code in your area.

To me charming means small, older homes, old people. quiet, and around here conservative. So no painting your house hot pink, no flying your freak flag, and you'll probably be met with "what church do you attend" as a form of greeting. If you're lucky the neighbors under retirement age might be home during the day, also no topless sunbathing in your fenced yard because Great Aunt Myrtle from across the street will come and tell you to cover up. Seriously, happened in an old neighborhood. The neighbor who was like a 19 year old girl was sunbathing in her bikini in HER backyard. The neighbor across the street saw her and hopped on her walker (okay maybe metaphorically) and proceeded to chew out the young girl for being "mostly naked" in HER OWN backyard. 

Yeah, I read a lot into words. 

Quaint is different than charming. 

Our neighborhood gets called charming all the time. But darn, I do think it is charming! Homes are mostly pre-1940, we have an adorable walkable shopping area with a library, coffee shop, gift store, little grocery, a couple upscale restaurants. The neighborhood is generally friendly, but not dogmatic. We're in a large city and near a large university campus, so there is plenty of diversity. We have a middle eastern restaurant owned by a neighborhood Muslim family too walking distance. Our neighborhood has a Norman Rockwell feel to it, and people visiting say that regularly.

But it can absolutely be filler/fluff/mean nothing too. YMMV.

BlueTaelon -- did you go see the apartment? How was the neighborhood? Was it charming, or charming-ish, or were you quite disappointed to discover that it was not at all charming?

No, just trying to wade through the listings looking for something that really catches my eye.