Menu

help for newbie, reading program for an already reading kinder!

hi all,

i am, or will be, new to homeschooling this fall. my dd will be 5 1/2, and starting her K year. i also have a son in jr high in ps and a 3 1/2 year old. anyway....i purchased, second hand, AAR 1. at the time my daughter could just read basic CVC words. in the past several months, she has begun full on reading, pretty much everything. i pulled out the AAR to familiarize myself with how we might pace it, knowing much of it would be review. turns out, it is looking like none of it will be useful to us any longer. i'm weary of moving to AAR 2. i'm figuring, if she taught herself to read without costing me a dime, surely we find a cheaper option to move forward with reading. i just have no clue what our next step should be. any advice?

*pardon my lack of using capital letters*

I also use OPGTR. My 5 year old who will also be in K this year flew through most of the book. It starts with letter sounds and ends at about a 3rd or 4th grade reading level. It is available at most libraries. You might want to check it out and see where in it she'd place. If she is past that level then I'd look into spelling programs. We like AAS.