Menu

What to wear? Ritz Carlton wedding

CAMom

How well do you know the couple?  Could you ask a close family member for advice?

I was surprised 10(!) years ago when DH and I attend an afternoon wedding near Milwaukee, with reception at a place dowtown comparable to the Ritz.  Most of the women my age wore black to the wedding and reception. 

I would try to call and ask about the dress code. Usually, if it's black tie, there will be a little notation on the invitation to the reception, but you never know.

Realistically, it doesn't really matter what you wear, as long as you choose something pretty and dressy, but it can be a bit uncomfortable to be the only one in a cocktail dress amid a sea of gorgeous gowns (or vice versa,) so that's why I suggested you try to ask someone for more info.

Something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/ky94gux

looks good on most full figured body types and is pretty versatile. You could wear it to dinner, etc without looking out of place.

Ooh.  I like this one.  Add some bling to dress it up and it would work for all but the most dressy weddings.  I haven't been to a wedding where a cocktail dress did not suffice. 

Is it black tie? If so, I'd think evening gown, especially since it's an evening wedding. Possibly a cocktail dress would work though. I would personally not want to show up in a knee length dress when almost everyone else is in an evening gown.

Historically the invitation dictated what one wore to an event. Both the time of day and type of invitation (engraved, hand written, email) are important when deciding what to wear. The most formal would be an engraved invitation with an after 6p time indicating an evening event. That would mean (usually) a full length gown. Less formal invitations would mean a cocktail dress all the way down to the email invitation indicating business casual.

But as Cat said, you don't want to be in a ball gown when everyone else is in a cocktail dress. I would find out what the mother of the bride is wearing if at all possible.

Maybe something from here will suit your taste. http://www1.macys.com/cms/slp/2/Plus-Size-Evening-Dresses. I personally like the first from the left, but it may not be to your taste.

I've attended a lot of events where people wore ball gowns. But, I've never attended a wedding where people were wearing floor-length evening gowns. I would definitely call someone about the dress expectation before I purchased an evening gown for the event.

I've always thought ball gowns and evening gowns were the same thing.........

I've always thought ball gowns and evening gowns were the same thing.........

I was using them interchangeably, sorry. I was saying, I've attended a lot of events with ball/evening gowns, but never a wedding. I'm sure different social circles are different. 

Have I got the site for you.

Check out igigi.com.

They have gorgeous plus size dresses. They're pricey but the dresses are designed for plus sizes, not just upsized versions of smaller sizes and they're made in the U.S.A.. the models are generally sizes 14 to 18 and customers upload pictures of themselves in their dresses so you can get a good idea of what a dress might look like on your body type.

I haven't bought a dress from them yet but I regularly drool over their selection.

Have I got the site for you.

Check out igigi.com.

They have gorgeous plus size dresses. They're pricey but the dresses are designed for plus sizes, not just upsized versions of smaller sizes and they're made in the U.S.A.. the models are generally sizes 14 to 18 and customers upload pictures of themselves in their dresses so you can get a good idea of what a dress might look like on your body type.

I haven't bought a dress from them yet but I regularly drool over their selection.

Ah, see, I think something like this would be okay even in an evening gown situation:

http://www.igigi.com/plus-size-dresses/rachelle-lace-dress-in-onyx.html

or this

http://www.igigi.com/plus-size-dresses/plus-size-evening-dress/keira-beaded-dress.html

But, I'm only 5'2", so either hem would be fairly low on my calf, which *I* would be comfortable with. 

Ah, see, I think something like this would be okay even in an evening gown situation:

http://www.igigi.com/plus-size-dresses/rachelle-lace-dress-in-onyx.html

or this

http://www.igigi.com/plus-size-dresses/plus-size-evening-dress/keira-beaded-dress.html

But, I'm only 5'2", so either hem would be fairly low on my calf, which *I* would be comfortable with.

Ha! We posted at the same time and both like the Keira dress. That's settled then. :D

Ha! We posted at the same time and both like the Keira dress. That's settled then. :D

Love this one! I think it would look great on you, CAMom. If you look at the sleeveless version customer photos, you can see the back with a large satin bow. Beautiful! If it doesn't come with the bow you could add one.

I would say cocktail dress unless the invitation specified black tie. Even if the invitation did say black tie, there would likely still be a fair number of women in cocktail dresses. I've been to a "black tie" event where I was the only woman at the table in a full-length gown even though all the guys were in tuxes.

There ya go, CAMom, decision made! Wasn't that easy?  :laugh:

Yes, that was easy! I knew I could count on you all! ;)

We know the groom well so I had dh ask him and he said it is not black tie but is dressy so a cocktail dress will be great. Now I need to think about shoes. Those are even harder 'cause I wear a size 13 shoe. :D Oh, and I am just under 6' tall.

Thanks so much, you guys! 

Oh! You're in drag queen shoe territory! :D Me too, I'm usually either a 10 or 11.

So you have 3 choices I think: matching the dress, contrasting with the dress or my favorite. :D

Match: strappy gold heels,

http://www.6pm.com/vigotti-mosey-gold-leather

Patent black with ankle strap (peekaboo or not),

http://www.6pm.com/fitzwell-shimmy-black-patent

Contrast: red, purple or electric blue pumps in velvet or suede,

http://www.designershoes.com/barefoot-tess-bordeaux-red

My pick: patent nude slingbacks,

http://largefeet.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=3412

I just think simple nude pumps are a kind of sophisticated, stealth sexy that goes beyond any of the other shoes. :-)

It looks like everyone has you covered! I just want to remind you to buy the Jergen's lotion that will tan your skin, but isn't self-tanner. Start using it about ten days before the wedding. I always forget!

Below is a link to the dress I bought for our last St. Barbara's Day Ball. I love this dress, it is so comfortable and I can wear my regular bra with it. I bought it with a red liner and wore nude pumps. It was very flattering, with the high waist and those sleeves.

http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/Cocktail/14080901

Oh! You're in drag queen shoe territory! :D Me too, I'm usually either a 10 or 11.

So you have 3 choices I think: matching the dress, contrasting with the dress or my favorite. :D

I just think simple nude pumps are a kind of sophisticated, stealth sexy that goes beyond any of the other shoes. :-)

OMGosh! Drag Queen size! :lol:

Love the nude sling backs! I have a pair of nude pumps that I love but maybe I "need" the slingbacks? ;)

It looks like everyone has you covered! I just want to remind you to buy the Jergen's lotion that will tan your skin, but isn't self-tanner. Start using it about ten days before the wedding. I always forget!

Very good idea!

Unless you've been wearing high heels I wouldn't.   :D

I'm no stranger to heels. I usually wear them to church once a week. What else would you wear with a cocktail dress?

Hello Fashion Pros!

Dh and I are invited to an August wedding at the Ritz in Dallas in August. Cocktail hour is a 6pm with dinner at 7pm.

What should I wear? I'm plus sized. :)

Thanks!

DH and I just attended a very nice wedding at the Ritz here in Charlotte. I wore a black satin dress from white house, black market. It is also what I wear on formal night on cruises. DH wore a regular suit and tie, and was not under dressed.

Yes, that was easy! I knew I could count on you all! ;)

We know the groom well so I had dh ask him and he said it is not black tie but is dressy so a cocktail dress will be great. Now I need to think about shoes. Those are even harder 'cause I wear a size 13 shoe. :D Oh, and I am just under 6' tall.

Thanks so much, you guys!

check out Shoebuy and Zappos for shoes. They will ship them both ways for free. When my sons got married several years ago, I ordered several pairs of shoes, wore them around the house to see what was comfortable and sent back what wasn't. I was shocked at the shoes I picked as I would never ever have thought they would be comfortable. And under 50.00 a pair as I recall. I wore them for both weddings.

Zappos website is really easy to sort by size, width, heel height, etc.

Oh! You're in drag queen shoe territory! :D

Breathe, Val, breathe.... :smilielol5: I'm just dyin' here.  

I used to wear  101/2's or 11's slims, or quad As in the heels, and there was only one store in Chicago where I could buy dressy shoes.  I'd take the train in from Wheaton, once I actually moved out from the city.

All these years and three kids later, I can usually wear mediums, but now my arches have fallen a bit, and I have to look for 12's.  I thought I was going to die last year when the podiatrist told me my "Old Faithfull" cross-trainers were too short, and I'd have to look for 12s.  Zappos and Shoebuy are  my best friend, but I still can't find a cute pair of bonafide ankle-strap sandals (with straps that go around the ankle at the thinnest part, not just buckle over the ankle.)  I'm going to keep looking til I'm in the grave, I guess.

Thank goodness, my daughter only wears 9s.

Breathe, Val, breathe.... :smilielol5: I'm just dyin' here.  

I used to wear  101/2's or 11's slims, or quad As in the heels, and there was only one store in Chicago where I could buy dressy shoes.  I'd take the train in from Wheaton, once I actually moved out from the city.

All these years and three kids later, I can usually wear mediums, but now my arches have fallen a bit, and I have to look for 12's.  I thought I was going to die last year when the podiatrist told me my "Old Faithfull" cross-trainers were too short, and I'd have to look for 12s.  Zappos and Shoebuy are  my best friend, but I still can't find a cute pair of bonafide ankle-strap sandals (with straps that go around the ankle at the thinnest part, not just buckle over the ankle.)  I'm going to keep looking til I'm in the grave, I guess.

Thank goodness, my daughter only wears 9s.

Try Nordstrom for the sandals. They have a few.  Sort shoes by sandals and flats.  There are 6 or more pair with an ankle strap

Here is one

Another

My shoes for dd's wedding came from Shoebuy. I have a difficult time, not with size, but with toebox width for a bunion on one foot that I have no intention of having carved off any time soon...too stubborn to be off my feet that long!

Anyway, Shoebuy was recommended to me for their extra-wides. They apparently carry a lot of shoes with a good, roomy toe. I found some very nice, low heels with rhinestone decoration. They are like butter on my feet. I've been known to put a dressy top on with a pair of jeans and wear those shoes. Dh says he likes that look!

I paid all of $35.00 total and they sent me a free return shipping label in case the shoes didn't fit. I was thrilled and will become a regular customer of theirs.

Drag Queens??? You guys are a stitch!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I was using them interchangeably, sorry. I was saying, I've attended a lot of events with ball/evening gowns, but never a wedding. I'm sure different social circles are different. 

Most evening weddings we've gone to were more cocktail dress type settings than evening gowns........ Except one, which was not my biggest thrill, but that has more to do with the fact that I have a very hard time wearing full length gowns. They just don't look good on me! I ended up with something between a full length evening gown and a typical cocktail length dress........ it worked out "okay" as about 25% of the women went the same way I did, so I wasn't the "only".

Most evening weddings we've gone to were more cocktail dress type settings than evening gowns........ Except one, which was not my biggest thrill, but that has more to do with the fact that I have a very hard time wearing full length gowns. They just don't look good on me! I ended up with something between a full length evening gown and a typical cocktail length dress........ it worked out "okay" as about 25% of the women went the same way I did, so I wasn't the "only".

I think I only own 2 full length gowns. Most of mine are more tea length for the same reason.