Menu

Flowers for Algernon--appropriate for 8th grade?

Apparently my son's b&m school is going to have the 8th graders read Flowers for Algernon (the novel, not the short story).  It seems to me that this book is totally inappropriate due to sexual themes.  Am I completely nuts here?

I feel like I read this in 8th grade but I don't remember sexual content, I was very naive so anything most likely went over my head.

ETA: After reading this I am not sure if this is appropriate for 8th grade, I'd want to read it for myself first.  Perhaps we read an excerpt.

I read this in 8th grade and don't remember any sexual content, but I just read the link from the PP and am shocked. I know what I read in 8th grade was the book  because I can picture it in my mind. I remember loving the book. Maybe we had a young reader's version or something. It was one of my favorites, but I think I'd remember the sexual parts.

Just my 2 cents, but I don't believe I would let my kids read it in 8th grade, but my kids aren't that age yet, so I really don't know.

I read it in 8th grade too, and didn't remember the sexual parts until I was considering having my older son read it for 9th grade English.  Then I was hit over the head with them. 

I wouldn't be against an 8th grader reading the book on his/her own, but it seems to me that as assigned reading for school (at a b&m school) complete with discussions is not appropriate.

I read it in the eighth grade.  We read an abridgment, BUT we watched the movie as well.  And while the movie wasn't explicit, there was a definite "They just did IT" moment.  I thought it was completely inappropriate at the time, and I'm rather appalled now that I'm a mother.

I agree that there is too much sexual content for required 8th grade reading.  It is a major cause of family fear and discord and runs through the novel as a symptom of being "well adjusted."  Just another voice confirming your filter is appropriate...

We did a version of the play in eighth grade and as a result I chose to get and read the unabridged book.

I'd probably let my son read it in 8th.

I might ask about it and check which version they were using.

Apparently my son's b&m school is going to have the 8th graders read Flowers for Algernon (the novel, not the short story).  It seems to me that this book is totally inappropriate due to sexual themes.  Am I completely nuts here?

You are not nuts! I loved the short story, but hated the novel, and I was probably an adult when I read the novel.

I just checked. They're using the unabridged edition.

I remember reading this in high school. It was assigned in either our tenth or eleventh grade year; and I didn't like it too much, especially the scene at the dance. Based on my recollections, I'd not feel comfortable with my dc reading it in eighth grade.

I read it for my 9th grade honors lit class, unabridged.

It's one of those books that certain 13 or 14 year olds could probably handle, but give it to 30 of them and read it aloud in class and it can very quickly turn into a giggling trainwreck. Unless your son's class is far more mature than the kids I went to school with.

I read the unabridged book in 6th grade and really liked it and found the themes interesting.  I was a bit of a literature nerd and looking back, am surprised about what I read.  I'd be uneasy about my kids reading a lot of what I read.  But it was worthwhile even then for me. 

• 11 months later...

The author just passed. An ex-classmate posted on Facebook as the short story version was one of our literature text.

"Daniel Keyes, the author of the enduring classic Ă¢â‚¬Å“Flowers for Algernon,Ă¢â‚¬ the fictional account of a mouse and a man whose IQs are artificially, temporarily and tragically increased, died June 15 at his home in southern Florida. He was 86."

Ok, just put an ebook on hold with my county library system because I, too, remember reading this about 8th or 9th grade (and saw the movie in class), but don't recall all the sexual references.

elfknitter

I JUST noticed your avatar!!!!  Had to say I absolutely love it!

I know we read it in 8th grade lit class and I recall loving it, but it's been so long, I'd have to re-read to chime in with any real help/

I brought up the issue and they ended up not using it.  They planned to use the short story instead but ended up not doing that either (I'm not sure why).  Their reasoning for not using the novel was that my son was young (skipped two grades) even though this wasn't my reason for expressing concern.  I wanted to have a discussion about whether assigning a book with this amount of sexual content might not be appropriate for 8th grade at all (regardless of the age range of the students) but that did not happen.  The head of school (who has taught 8th grade English) mentioned that she had used it before and never got any complaints.  She probably never got any complaints because most parents don't pay much attention to what is assigned in school.

I read it in 8th grade too, probably an abridged version as I don't remember anything about sexual themes (might have gone over my head anyway), but something *else* about that book made me very uncomfortable.  I really didn't feel the better off for having read it.

We read the short story first, then the novel later - to compare.  I loved them both, but consider the short story to actually be better.  I think we read them in high school though, but my memory isn't super great.

I know I had middle son (my "reader") also read it (actually I suggested it as one he might like - it didn't fit any of our courses).  He thought it was good too.

I would not have had a problem with any of my 8th graders reading it at the time, but they hadn't skipped grades so were at a normal age (13).

We read it around 8th grade.  Saw the film too.

Kids are whatĂ¢â‚¬Â¦13 or so in 8th grade typically, maybe 14?  They know about sex.  If they're boys, they know about wet dreams.  They know about being aroused.  And they're a mass of hormones who are interested in those things.   Sex was not a major focus of the book either.  

Don't infantilize your kids.  Reading or not reading about sex is not going to change their biological drives.  Reading about somebody having sex is not going to make them have sex.  Geesh.  Charlie's frustration/struggles with his sexual feelings is probably something many teens can relate to, actually.  

The book's message on the treatment of those who are different or who are mentally challenged is far more important, and likely to be remembered far more than any sexual references.  

EKS: I'm completely saddened that one parents desire for censorship affected an entire class.  If you don't want your child reading the book, then excuse him/her from itĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but punishing an entire class is ridiculous. Your child skipped two grades, that's not the fault of the other kids.  Was a chance given for the parents who want their kids to be exposed to a classic of American literature heard too??? NahĂ¢â‚¬Â¦didn't think so.

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite books and definitely on my list of books everyone should read.  There is so much to this book that the very brief sexual situations were not even on my radar.   The passages on the website, when taken out of context do seem very mature.

I complained and they ended up not using it.  They planned to use the short story instead but ended up not doing that either.  Their reasoning for not using it was that my son was young (skipped two grades).  Apparently they weren't able to wrap their minds around the idea that assigning a book with significant sexual themes might not be appropriate to assign in 8th grade at all.  The head of school (who has taught 8th grade English) said she had used it before and never got any complaints.  I should have asked if she had specifically asked parents their opinion about the school assigning books with strong sexual themes.  She probably never got any complaints because most parents don't pay much attention to what is assigned in school.

I am pretty liberal with books, but I am certain that none of my sons would have wanted to discuss strong sexual themes in an 8th grade classroom.  Sometimes I wonder if teachers even consider that not all kids want to deal with such in 8th grade.

When my DS was in 5th grade (at an international school), the teacher showed a short film called "Eat Sh*t and DIe." According to the trailer, the film was modeled on MTV's Jack*ss.  My son was disgusted, and I was flabbergasted.   Our complaints fell on deaf ears.  A defensive "Well, everyone else liked it" was all I got from the teacher.

Kids are whatĂ¢â‚¬Â¦13 or so in 8th grade typically, maybe 14?  They know about sex.  If they're boys, they know about wet dreams.  They know about being aroused.  And they're a mass of hormones who are interested in those things.   Sex was not a major focus of the book either.  

Don't infantilize your kids.  Reading or not reading about sex is not going to change their biological drives.  Reading about somebody having sex is not going to make them have sex.  Geesh.  Charlie's frustration/struggles with his sexual feelings is probably something many teens can relate to, actually.  

The book's message on the treatment of those who are different or who are mentally challenged is far more important, and likely to be remembered far more than any sexual references. 

This is one of my favorite books and definitely on my list of books everyone should read.  There is so much to this book that the very brief sexual situations were not even on my radar.   The passages on the website, when taken out of context do seem very mature.

These two quotes sum up my thoughts about the book perfectly.

I am pretty liberal with books, but I am certain that none of my sons would have wanted to discuss strong sexual themes in an 8th grade classroom.  Sometimes I wonder if teachers even consider that not all kids want to deal with such in 8th grade.

Maybe it's because I was in class a few moons ago, but I don't recall the sexual themes being discussed at all - our discussion always centered on the problems/awareness of the mental issues he was going through.  Perhaps one of them mentioned it, but if so, it certainly wasn't memorable out of the whole.

I have not read the book or seen the movie, so I can't speak to the content of this particular book...

I am very liberal with books, and I think this is a book that I would let my rising 8th grader read.  But I do hate for my kid to squirm with discomfort in his classroom, or to feel like he is uncool for not wanting to discuss sex in the classroom. That would be my biggest concern. Somebody upthread mentioned the giggling trainwreck...

edited

EKS: I'm completely saddened that one parents desire for censorship affected an entire class.  If you don't want your child reading the book, then excuse him/her from itĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but punishing an entire class is ridiculous. Your child skipped two grades, that's not the fault of the other kids.  Was a chance given for the parents who want their kids to be exposed to a classic of American literature heard too??? NahĂ¢â‚¬Â¦didn't think so.

I mentioned in one of my posts that I wouldn't have a problem with an 8th grader reading the book outside of class, and I wouldn't even have a problem with my 12yo reading it.  That wasn't the point.  I have a problem with the school *assigning* works that have significant sexual themes and assuming that parents are ok with that without specifically asking.  There are tons of good books out there to assign that don't have such themes.

By "significant" sexual themes I mean ones that recur throughout the work and are critical to understanding it.  I don't mean a scene or two. 

I have a role at the school that goes beyond that of parent in that among other things, I am head of the curriculum committee.  This isn't about censorship, and it isn't about my kid being two years younger than the rest of the kids in the class (though the head of school decided that would be the excuse for pulling the book), it's about making good curricular decisions.

I mentioned in one of my posts that I wouldn't have a problem with an 8th grader reading the book outside of class, and I wouldn't even have a problem with my 12yo reading it.  That wasn't the point.  I have a problem with the school *assigning* works that have significant sexual themes and assuming that parents are ok with that without specifically asking.  There are tons of good books out there to assign that don't have such themes.

By "significant" sexual themes I mean ones that recur throughout the work and are critical to understanding it.  I don't mean a scene or two. 

You have a problem. You are one person.  Were all the parents polled? What gives your voice in curriculum choice any more power than another voice?  Did the other parents even know that they needed to speak up to defend the literature choice? I doubt it.

The sexuality is not a significant theme of the book nor is it critical to understanding it.  It was not discussed in any class I attended.  Teachers, especially Middle School teachers, are not idiots.  They know most kids are not comfortable discussing those things.    Far more important is the treatment of CharlyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and how that changes throughout the book.  You could have spoken to the teacher about how these things were addressed, if that was a concernĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.rather than imposing your own censorship on an entire class.  Once again, only your voice was heard.  Was a call made to other parents to see their views?   This book is commonly assigned to 8th graders across the country and has been for at least 30 years.  I have yet to see it linked to the decline of civilization or an explosion in teen pregnancies.

• Like 1

You have a problem. You are one person.  Were all the parents polled? What gives your voice in curriculum choice any more power than another voice?  Did the other parents even know that they needed to speak up to defend the literature choice? I doubt it.

The sexuality is not a significant theme of the book nor is it critical to understanding it.  It was not discussed in any class I attended.  Teachers, especially Middle School teachers, are not idiots.  They know most kids are not comfortable discussing those things.    Far more important is the treatment of CharlyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and how that changes throughout the book.  You could have spoken to the teacher about how these things were addressed, if that was a concernĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.rather than imposing your own censorship on an entire class.  Once again, only your voice was heard.  Was a call made to other parents to see their views?   This book is commonly assigned to 8th graders across the country and has been for at least 30 years.  I have yet to see it linked to the decline of civilization or an explosion in teen pregnancies.

I agree. That kind of behavior from other parents is exactly one of the various reasons I chose to homeschool. *I* would be upset that my child *didn't* get the chance to read Flowers for Algernon (I only know the short story and I'm pretty sure I was in middle school when I read it) just because one parent got huffy.

I wouldn't fault a homeschooler or parent deciding for their child what they shouldn't read, but I feel real lines are crossed when one person decides to dictate those decisions for other parents without their knowledge or consent.

Yes maybe the other parents didn't know Algernon was being read, maybe they don't pay attention. But what if they did know, were paying attention, and were okay with it? Do they know that one parent raised a stink and now their kid doesn't get to read something? 

I'm just contrary enough that if my kid were in that class I'd raise a "counter stink". :)

Umsami--your take on the situation is not based in reality.  I am not some kind of conservative wacko who is trying to impose my values on the entire school.  I am actually one of the most liberal people you'll ever meet.  And I am not just some random parent in that I have a significant role in making curricular decisions at the school--I am an officer on the board of trustees and the head of the curriculum committee, and as such, I am responsible for pointing issues like this out.  I expressed concern to the head of school about this book *not* because my son is two years younger than the rest of the class but because, as a board member and head of the curriculum committee, I thought there should be a discussion about the content of the books that are assigned.  *She* is the one who decided that having an 11yo in the class was reason enough to pull the book, not me.  Personally, I would have welcomed a poll of the parents asking their opinion of the school assigning books with significant sexual themes and their thoughts on this book in particular, but that did not happen.

Liberals try to impose their values too, sometimes.

We read the story in middle school. I remembered liking it, so reread it as an adult and was surprised to find the scenes of tension. Those were not what I picked up on when I read it in middle school. I'm pretty sure we just did the short story, though. The reread was definitely the shorter version. Perhaps the book spends more time on this issue?

Both my big boys read the short story in jr high. It was on my long list of short stories for my 11yo for this next school year. It didn't make the final cut simply because I decided that for my purposes I only want to use stories that can be read and covered in one sitting. It is just too long. I cut The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for the same reason. However, I definitely want to cover it... and Sleepy Hollow.

HTH-

Mandy

I have a role at the school that goes beyond that of parent in that among other things, I am head of the curriculum committee.  This isn't about censorship, and it isn't about my kid being two years younger than the rest of the kids in the class (though the head of school decided that would be the excuse for pulling the book), it's about making good curricular decisions.

This book does not have significant sexual themes.  His mental retardation to the point he didn't have anything in common with his teacher, and then the very brief time they were equals, and then his increased intelligence which made her and most people intelligently inferior to him.    Friendships, relationships, mental retardation, birth, growth, death, awakening, playing God, empathy.  These are the significant themes of the book. 

Umsami--your take on the situation is not based in reality.  I am not some kind of conservative wacko who is trying to impose my values on the entire school.  I am actually one of the most liberal people you'll ever meet.  And I am not just some random parent in that I have a significant role in making curricular decisions at the school--I am an officer on the board of trustees and the head of the curriculum committee, and as such, I am responsible for pointing issues like this out.  I expressed concern to the head of school about this book *not* because my son is two years younger than the rest of the class but because, as a board member and head of the curriculum committee, I thought there should be a discussion about the content of the books that are assigned.  *She* is the one who decided that having an 11yo in the class was reason enough to pull the book, not me.  Personally, I would have welcomed a poll of the parents asking their opinion of the school assigning books with significant sexual themes and their thoughts on this book in particular, but that did not happen.

Have you actually read the book?  The entire book, not just portions of the book?  Anyone who read the entire book would know that the book, while containing brief sexual scenes is not about sex, and sex is not a theme of the book.    My frustration isn't that people prefer it not be read, but that they haven't read it but want to censor it for others.  

This book does not have significant sexual themes.  His mental retardation to the point he didn't have anything in common with his teacher, and then the very brief time they were equals, and then his increased intelligence which made her and most people intelligently inferior to him.    Friendships, relationships, mental retardation, birth, growth, death, awakening, playing God, empathy.  These are the significant themes of the book. 

:iagree:  I hope people aren't basing whether to read this book or not based upon thinking it is filled with sexual themes.  We aren't talking 50 Shades of Gray here - or even Spud (a book that was required reading for Honors Level 10th grade English for some unknown reason - it isn't now - since "I" complained - due to it being at a much lower reading level than 10th grade HONORS English).

Yes, it does--there is a recurring thread about Charlie's issues with his sexual awakening (that is concomitant with is intellectual awakening) that derive from his mother threatening to cut off his private parts if he so much as looked at a woman.  This thread is not in the short story (which was written first) and is (IMO) quite obviously tacked on.

I'll say it yet again--I have no problem with kids reading this, in 8th grade or even earlier.  I would have no problem with my 12yo reading it right now or even last year.  I have no problem with the book being in the school library.  But I don't think it should be assigned at the school without a thorough discussion of this particular issue.  And my role at the school is such that it is my *job* to red flag these things.

You have a problem. You are one person. Were all the parents polled? What gives your voice in curriculum choice any more power than another voice? Did the other parents even know that they needed to speak up to defend the literature choice? I doubt it.

I don't think this is fair at all. EKS had a problem. She voiced the problem. Should we not voice a problem when we have one? Should a parent not speak up? Why? Just in case other parents might not agree? You could post about an infinite number of problems you might have and bring up to a teacher and, no, everyone would not agree with you (especially here, LOL). That doesn't mean you should stifle your opinion. She did what any of us would do in a similar situation; she brought it up to the teacher.

The teacher could have polled the parents or assigned another book to EKS's son as an alternate resolution if she deemed it appropriate. EKS didn't pull the book. The teacher pulled the book. I imagine she is covering another worthwhile work on its place. If another parent saw the book on the list and was looking forward to it, then saw it disappear, she could voice that concern as well. Or she could have her child read the book outside of school if she felt strongly that her child should not miss it. Or she could wait to see if it was scheduled in high school, where it is often covered.

Also, it is not censorship to feel that a topic is too mature for a certain age. I wouldn't assign Kindergarteners reading about holocaust atrocities, for example. Appropriate for older kids? Sure. But it is not censorship to keep that material away from little ones.

I liked the short story, and think that would be a good class discussion story for 8th graders.  Have the book for those that really enjoyed it and want to read more about it.

I agree that something without sexual themes would be better for a general student population (and I'm sure there are lots of high quality books that could be discussed instead of it).

Since the short story exists I have a hard time understanding why the novel version would be chosen for that age group. The short story isn't censored or abridged - it's the original, and an award-winning classic itself. It addresses the themes that this age group would be focusing on, while avoiding the problematic ones.

Your initial posts just said that you had a problem that your B&M school was having your son read it.  You did not mention until this post that you were the head of the curriculum committee.  As such, that makes the issue far different.  You're not just a Mom who doesn't want her son to read a bookĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ you're in a different role entirely.  In your role, I wonder why you didn't bring up reading the short story insteadĂ¢â‚¬Â¦or just how the sexuality was addressedĂ¢â‚¬Â¦or what alternative books could be assigned to kids whose parents were not comfortable with the book.  If you had wanted a poll of the parents or something like that, I'm sure in your position you could have asked for it.  But then again, posing the poll as "thoughts on books with significant sexual issues" colors the poll as well.  That really does not describe, "Flowers for Algernon."   Was the 8th grade English teacher involved in the discussion? I would think s/he would be a very important part of the discussion, could speak knowledgeably about the book and how it would be taught, etc.

I have no problem with parents making a choice for their own child.  I do take issue with parents who try to dictate to other parents.  In all honesty, I think you misrepresented the book to the Headmistress or whomever.  "Flowers for Algernon" is one of those books that parents like to ban.  It's a shame, IMHOĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but I would say that the blame should rest on her as much or as more as on you as she is a professional educator.  (At least I'm assuming that. :))

There was some discussion of this book at dh's work - I don't know why. He asked me to get it for him from the library as he'd never read it. He was surprised at the content (mental "health" and treatment of characters), but I'll have to ask him what he thinks of our kids reading it at some point.

Edited to add: DH said 8th grade was way too young for our kids (although probably not some PS kids) - but perhaps in the latter couple of years of high school it would be worth a read. However, he also said that he felt that the frame of reference would be off for kids of the current age -- perhaps that being a reason to read it & have many discussions with them about the themes & topics in the book. 

Your initial posts just said that you had a problem that your B&M school was having your son read it.  You did not mention until this post that you were the head of the curriculum committee.  As such, that makes the issue far different.  You're not just a Mom who doesn't want her son to read a bookĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ you're in a different role entirely.  In your role, I wonder why you didn't bring up reading the short story insteadĂ¢â‚¬Â¦or just how the sexuality was addressedĂ¢â‚¬Â¦or what alternative books could be assigned to kids whose parents were not comfortable with the book.  If you had wanted a poll of the parents or something like that, I'm sure in your position you could have asked for it.  But then again, posing the poll as "thoughts on books with significant sexual issues" colors the poll as well.  That really does not describe, "Flowers for Algernon."   Was the 8th grade English teacher involved in the discussion? I would think s/he would be a very important part of the discussion, could speak knowledgeably about the book and how it would be taught, etc.

I have no problem with parents making a choice for their own child.  I do take issue with parents who try to dictate to other parents.  In all honesty, I think you misrepresented the book to the Headmistress or whomever.  "Flowers for Algernon" is one of those books that parents like to ban.  It's a shame, IMHOĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but I would say that the blame should rest on her as much or as more as on you as she is a professional educator.  (At least I'm assuming that. :))

I *did* bring up reading the short story instead.  And I *didn't* misrepresent the book to the head of school.  If you have read all my posts in this thread, you would have seen that she has taught 8th grade English herself in the past and has used the book.  Why are you accusing me of that?

I don't understand why you are so hostile about this.  My initial query a year ago (this is an old thread) was simply whether others felt that Flowers for Algernon might not be appropriate for 8th grade.  That's it.  My status as a board member and head of the curriculum committee was irrelevant to the query which is why I didn't mention it.

It is not my place to dictate to the head of school that she poll parents or pull a book or  whatever.  I simply brought up the fact that we should discuss the use of this particular book.  *She* is the one who decided to forgo discussion and pull the book.

It seems to me that Usami is reacting so strongly because Flowers for Algernon is a commonly banned book and is reacting to the idea of censorship.   I don't see classroom teaching as censorship - there are far too many good books out there to think that a single book is the one they should be teaching in a particular class.     A parent has a perfect right to speak up (board member or not!) - and the teacher and/or principal should give serious consideration to the reasons.     In fact in many cases like this,  I would guess that more parents would speak up if they knew what books were going to be studied but don't because they aren't privy to what the children are going to read until after they are already reading it.

Now if it got pulled from the library - I would be loud about voicing my disagreement about that!

I *did* bring up reading the short story instead.  And I *didn't* misrepresent the book to the head of school.  If you have read all my posts in this thread, you would have seen that she has taught 8th grade English herself in the past and has used the book.  Why are you accusing me of that?

I don't understand why you are so hostile about this.  My initial query a year ago (this is an old thread) was simply whether others felt that Flowers for Algernon might not be appropriate for 8th grade.  That's it.  My status as a board member and head of the curriculum committee was irrelevant to the query which is why I didn't mention it.

It is not my place to dictate to the head of school that she poll parents or pull a book or  whatever.  I simply brought up the fact that we should discuss the use of this particular book.  *She* is the one who decided to forgo discussion and pull the book.

I went back and read all of your posts.  I noted that you edited the one post and mentioned your role as a curriculum advisor which hadn't been there before. It gives clarity.    

I am hostile to the idea of censorship.  I am hostile to the idea that because you brought it up (and you were the instigator)Ă¢â‚¬Â¦it was not read by a classroom of kids who could have benefited from it, and it could have impacted how they treated people who are mentally challenged later in life.  

The bigger issue is, however, that I am troubled by the fact that even though the Headmistress/former 8th grade English teacher mentioned that it had never been a problem before, she took your objection (and the sole objection) and trashed not only the novel, but the short story as well.  No doubt fear of lawsuits or PR disastersĂ¢â‚¬Â¦which seem to dictate things rather than what an experienced English teacher's own history showed with the book.

This is becoming way too common, at all levels.  Public hysteria dictated curriculum, which usually insulates people more, rather than doing what education should doĂ¢â‚¬Â¦broaden horizons, perhaps challenge preconceived beliefsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and yes, even the beliefs of one's parents.  These things don't just occur at the middle school level.  They occur at the university level too, which is even more troubling.  

The bigger issue is, however, that I am troubled by the fact that even though the Headmistress/former 8th grade English teacher mentioned that it had never been a problem before, she took your objection (and the sole objection) and trashed not only the novel, but the short story as well.  No doubt fear of lawsuits or PR disastersĂ¢â‚¬Â¦which seem to dictate things rather than what an experienced English teacher's own history showed with the book.

No she did not trash the short story.  The English teacher never got around to assigning it.

Again--your interpretation of this situation is not accurate. 

I don't see classroom teaching as censorship - there are far too many good books out there to think that a single book is the one they should be teaching in a particular class.     A parent has a perfect right to speak up (board member or not!) - and the teacher and/or principal should give serious consideration to the reasons.     In fact in many cases like this,  I would guess that more parents would speak up if they knew what books were going to be studied but don't because they aren't privy to what the children are going to read until after they are already reading it.

Now if it got pulled from the library - I would be loud about voicing my disagreement about that!

Thank you for understanding!

No she did not trash the short story.  The English teacher never got around to assigning it.

Again--your interpretation of this situation is not accurate. 

Mea culpa.  

My interpretation is based on your posts.  Obviously, I do not have all the factsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and can only make judgements based on your responses.    

Are you sure that the English teacher never got around to assigning it?  Because most English teachers I know actually have their curriculum planned out.  "Flowers for Algernon" April 2013 or whatever.  My guess (and yes, it's only a guess of a mere mortal who is not there) would be that it was not worth assigning based on your previous objections.  It's a different world todayĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.and the school may fear a public backlash, twitter campaign, whatever, if they went ahead and assigned the short story after you raised the issue with the Head.  

Leaving this threadĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but even knowing the additional facts you've shared, I stand by statements regarding censorship and the wrongness of one parent's voice (even one on a curriculum committee) changing curriculum that has been used without issue in many schools for years.  

It's great that you consider yourself liberalĂ¢â‚¬Â¦or conservativeĂ¢â‚¬Â¦or libertarianĂ¢â‚¬Â¦or whatever.  I just don't know if you'd view things the same if you read about another school shelving a book that maybe didn't have sexuality discussed, but for some other reason.  Some common ones include religious viewpoint, language, homosexuality (usually depicting gay people as "real" people with feelings and such), etc.  I'm not sure if you'd view the canceling of this book the same if you had a sibling who was mentally challenged, or a child.   Once again, even being exposed to a main character like that can be life changing for some kids.  Reading a story that features anything other than the typical white male hero can be extremely educational, even if there is sexuality involved.   And let's be honest, there are not a lot of books out there who feature atypical lead characters. 

Mea culpa.  

My interpretation is based on your posts.  Obviously, I do not have all the factsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and can only make judgements based on your responses.    

Are you sure that the English teacher never got around to assigning it?  Because most English teachers I know actually have their curriculum planned out.  "Flowers for Algernon" April 2013 or whatever.  My guess (and yes, it's only a guess of a mere mortal who is not there) would be that it was not worth assigning based on your previous objections.

Leaving this threadĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but even knowing the additional facts you've shared, I stand by statements regarding censorship and the wrongness of one parent's voice (even one on a curriculum committee) changing curriculum that has been used without issue in many schools for years.

This English teacher is not much of a planner.  Believe me.

He told me at the beginning of the year that he was excited to be using the short story, that he hadn't known about it before, and that he was going to use it in conjunction with some  other short stories to discuss point of view. 

Honestly, I would have preferred to have a discussion about the issue with the other members of the curriculum committee and the teacher rather than simply pulling the book.  But I don't call the shots at the school, so we didn't.