Menu

classical conversations timeline and Billy Graham

I recently purchased the classical conversations timeline cards and noticed that Billy Graham was included as one of the 161 points. I was confused and wondered if this was an example of bias from the creators, or if he is more significant than I realized. I'm strongly considering simply not including that card, but thought I'd run it by the hive first in case there is something I missed. For the record, I don't begrudge cc the right to include him, I'm just baffled by the choice to include him. any good reason I should keep him in our timeline when my religion is wholly unaffected by him?

Sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone. :)

Well, just reading his wiki, I say he was/is a pretty influential evangelical, starting and supporting many groups that have been seen as defining American Evangelical movement for quite a while. But you could leave that out and sub in someone else, like the Vatican II pope, or whatever floats your boat.

What I think they were doing with this timeline was trying to cover important people/events in a lot of different areas but limit it to 160 events. That is why it is a little all over the place. I would have personally liked to see more presidents listed, but it was difficult enough to learn as it is. (it would also have been nice to have some famous musicians and artists listed instead of just the periods, but that is my bias. :)) It is a much better timeline than VP, so it works for me. Because I don't have a background in history, I have to take what I can get. If you are memorizing the timeline using the song, I would include him. If not, you can leave him out. If you are just using the cards to learn history, he is a notable figure of the 20th century, so your children should at least know that he is an evangelist.

I think Living Memory has an extremely long timeline listed. If you had that resource, you could pick and choose your events, but I tried that once, and it is impossible to narrow down. For me, anyway....

Well I grant it's kind of an odd choice for a history timeline, would have gone more on a church history timeline to my mind, but he WAS a big deal.  Not that he's dead (is he?), but of course he's not speaking anymore.  His preaching is still shown on tv, and he interacted with many presidents.  His work was also a turning point in some of the divisions among evangelicals (ecumenicals vs. fundamentalists, blah blah).  But I don't see how that becomes a peg for a little one to understand history better.  The issues are too complex.  So big deal yes, appropriate to a list like that, maybe not.  But I guess it was to the people who made the list.  As you say, there's always bias in the selections.  :)

And for real they put the Elliott's on there?  Again, event worth learning but NOT a peg that helps you understand the flow of events during the century.