Menu

Please help with gift ideas for my daughter's sweet 16

Home'scool

My youngest daughter is turning 16. I am struggling a little bit with what to get/do for her because of the situation.

She definitely is struggling with being overshadowed by her older sister, who is 18. I understand this completely because I was the "younger sister". My 18 year old is very out-going and very personable. We live in a relatively small town so she is quite often compared to her older sister in looks, accomplishments, interests, etc.

When my older daughter turned 16 I rented out the VFW hall, hired a DJ, and let her have a party. What was supposed to be about 75 kids turned into a huge party (about 200 kids)that was talked about for weeks. Everyone had a great time and her friends said it was the "party of the year" and it was the talk of Facebook for a while. Basically it was a big success.

Now that my younger one is turning 16 she has turned this into a "whatever I do will not be seen to be as much of a blast as my sister's party so I don't want to do anything." I have suggested a bunch of different things, anything from taking just a couple of girlfriends to the city for the weekend all the way up to having a big party. She has just psyched herself out over this whole thing.

She says she just wants a gift. She said she just would rather get a present and call it a day. I am happy to respect her wishes, although I think it is a mistake because she is letting her insecurities drive the situation.

So what do I get her for a gift? I would like it to be something memorable. My older daughter will have that memory of her 16th birthday party and I would like something that my youngest one can remember too. The budget can be around $500 because that is about what I spent for my oldest.

She is not really into jewelry. I was thinking a nice bedroom set because she has my old bed but is that too "practical"? She suggested a gift certificate for clothes but clothes aren't really special.......

Any suggestions?

Would she like/respond well to a "makeover day?" I know some teens who would think it's a fun idea while others would think something along the lines of "I must be really bad off, she thinks I need  a makeover!"

You could offer for her to have a friend to go with her, perhaps? 

I'm thinking a new haircut & hair products, mani/pedi, makeover at a cosmetic counter w/reasonable makeup purchase, new outfit or two (incl. shoes), a nice lunch out. 

What is she interested in? When I graduated from college, my mom gave me tickets to hear Maya Angelou read poetry. We went together, and it's a night I will never forget. That was about 15 years ago, and I can still replay her voice in my head.

My youngest daughter is turning 16. I am struggling a little bit with what to get/do for her because of the situation.

She definitely is struggling with being overshadowed by her older sister, who is 18. I understand this completely because I was the "younger sister". My 18 year old is very out-going and very personable. We live in a relatively small town so she is quite often compared to her older sister in looks, accomplishments, interests, etc.

When my older daughter turned 16 I rented out the VFW hall, hired a DJ, and let her have a party. What was supposed to be about 75 kids turned into a huge party (about 200 kids)that was talked about for weeks. Everyone had a great time and her friends said it was the "party of the year" and it was the talk of Facebook for a while. Basically it was a big success.

Now that my younger one is turning 16 she has turned this into a "whatever I do will not be seen to be as much of a blast as my sister's party so I don't want to do anything." I have suggested a bunch of different things, anything from taking just a couple of girlfriends to the city for the weekend all the way up to having a big party. She has just psyched herself out over this whole thing.

She says she just wants a gift. She said she just would rather get a present and call it a day. I am happy to respect her wishes, although I think it is a mistake because she is letting her insecurities drive the situation.

So what do I get her for a gift? I would like it to be something memorable. My older daughter will have that memory of her 16th birthday party and I would like something that my youngest one can remember too. The budget can be around $500 because that is about what I spent for my oldest.

She is not really into jewelry. I was thinking a nice bedroom set because she has my old bed but is that too "practical"? She suggested a gift certificate for clothes but clothes aren't really special.......

Any suggestions?

I'm confused about the price range...do mean just the tangible gift can only be $500? Or the experience, too?

I'm just wondering how you only spent $500 for a party for 200 people. That is awesome!

I'm confused about the price range...do mean just the tangible gift can only be $500? Or the experience, too?

I'm just wondering how you only spent $500 for a party for 200 people. That is awesome!

I paid for the VFW for 3 hours, the DJ, and then just soda and water. The kids basically danced the whole time. I had put snacks out on the tables but they were barely touched! The guy running the VFW was kind of freaking out because it was only supposed to be about 75 kids and he was worried the floor was going to collapse with 200 kids dancing, but my husband bought him and the other veterans who were hanging around a round of drinks and they settled in nicely for the night! :laugh:

So I am thinking that the total spent on my youngest should be around $500.

What is she interested in? When I graduated from college, my mom gave me tickets to hear Maya Angelou read poetry. We went together, and it's a night I will never forget. That was about 15 years ago, and I can still replay her voice in my head.

She plays softball, both on the high school team and on a club team. Her team is playing in a tournament at Disneyworld at the end of July but I can't call that her present because she was already slated to go haha. She probably would like Taylor Swift tickets or something like that. I can look into that also.

When my dd turned 16, she got 16 gifts from us.  They were numbered 16, 15, 14, ... down to 1.  She opened them in that order.  In the one numbered 16, there was a package of 16 powdered donuts. 15 was a $15 gift card. It went on down, 6 pairs of socks, 5 packs of gum, 4 shirts, etc.

She loved it, and it made her day special. She'd been wanting something different for "Sweet 16."  The nice thing about it is that you can totally adjust it to fit your budget. 

I got the idea here on the boards several years ago.

I love the idea of a spa day, or a special event with an overnight stay and dinner in the city with just you, her, and a good friend.  I don't think she has to have a big party to make her 16th special.  Small and special can be just as memorable.

Do you think she really wants a party but is anxious over turnout? Could DD18 help plan the party? Maybe have it be a surprise sweet 16? My parents threw a surprise sleepover. Birthdays were not usually big deals, so I wasn't expecting anything! I was told to invite three girls over and we'd have pizza and cake. I was out renting videos with one of them and came home to a whole bunch of girls! There were 2 friends who had moved away who came to the party. My parents made a video of pictures of me growing up set to music (before computers, so this was a video camera and a black velvet board with a boom box, lol). It wasn't fancy but it was very memorable!

She may not be "into" jewelry, but a nice, classic piece could be special. I still have and wear the gold hoops that were my gift.