Menu

Sonlight Science Level G....

Homemama2

I'm looking at this for fall for my 6th grader. He really wants to study geology, and I'm not impressed with what I've seen so far.  I've never used anything from Sonlight before, and I liked the looks of this program, but was wondering if I could get some feedback from Sonlight users.  :thumbup1:

Does it go into the Scientific Method at all?  How are the labs?  Would this particular science (Level G: Geology, Physics and Origins) be something you'd recommend?

If this program stinks, lol, what would you recommend for geology/earth science instead?  (I'm eliminating Elemental b/c reading from the encyclopedias drives us nuts.)  :)

We haven't used that particular SL Science core, in fact we're skipping it to go right into H/W due to how it lines up better with our history study for next year. However, if you don't get any replies or direct answers you might be able to ask on the Choosing SL Forum :)

I don't remember some of  the specifics, but I know ds enjoyed the creationism vs. evolution "discussion".   I don't think there were many labs or perhaps just for a couple of months of the year.

This worked well for a bright 7th grader who did not have a huge interest in science.  

I hope you get more feedback than this.   :blush:

Based on what you've written, that your DS wants to study geology, doesn't like reading from encyclopedias, and I'm assuming also wants geology-related labs, I don't think Sonlight Science G will give you what you want.

It is labeled as "geology, physics and origins", and it is really just a mish-mash of different things, not specifically focused on geology at all.  I own six of the seven books (not counting the TM) used in that program, including the two TOPS lab books (and supplies).  If you look at the book list, only one of the books used is specific to the study of Earth science/geology, and it is the Usborne Encyclopedia of Planet Earth.  So, it's just an encyclopedia, which you said you don't want, and only about 150 pages, not enough to last a year.  Cool Stuff 2.0 (talks about technology) and What's Science All About (another Usborne volume, a broad summary of biology, chemistry, and physics) are neat little books, but they were below the level of my DS last year as a 5th grader; he actually scoffed at them.  :laugh:  They're both full of nifty info (for a younger kid, perhaps) but its just snippets, nothing in-depth.  Another book (and a DVD) in the program talks about evolution vs. creationism, and the last book is about life science topics like botany and ecology.  The two TOPS books are chemistry-related (Analysis and Cohesion/Adhesion) - again, not geology.  DS used both of those TOPS kits last year, and we liked them pretty well, though.  Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear.

Sonlight's science programs for level G and below try to cover lots of things at a high level all in one year and the output is quite worksheet-y (fill in the blank, matching, etc.)  That appeals to some kids but not others.  The TOPS labs are usually pretty good but you don't have to get them from Sonlight, you can buy them directly from the TOPS website and I've seen them on Amazon too.

I can recommend the Rocks and Minerals TOPS book with kit, as a supplement.  My 6th grade DS is using it this year and he loves it so far (about 4 weeks in).  He can do it independently.  We're also using Elemental Science logic stage Earth/Astronomy (which you said you didn't want) and supplementing with CPO Earth for extra reading.

Hope that helps some. 

Thanks so much!  I don't mind hearing that it's not what I'm looking for...much rather hear it now than find out after I've paid $180!  I will check out the Tops book.  That sounds interesting.

How are you liking Elemental?  Maybe I need to take another look at it and consider adding in some library books to read...

We like Elemental Science quite a bit.  We did the logic stage biology last year and returned to ES again this year for earth/astronomy.  My DS enjoys the Kingfisher science encyclopedia and the DK books used at the logic stage level, but he doesn't care for the Usbornes (too "young", too blurby, not enough detail) so we've moved away from the Usbornes as much as we can.  (I know many kids don't do this, but he takes science encyclopedias to his room for bedtime reading, LOL.)  I like ES as a spine.  I like the way it is organized, open and go, and I appreciate the discussion Q&A, the vocab and memory work, and weekly hands-on.  I do not make DS do all of the writing assignments though - I pick and choose.  And, like I said above, we're adding the CPO Earth science text as additional reading, along with the TOPS Rocks and Minerals book & kit, plus a weather study kit and a few other things I bought at Home Science Tools, and fun things like Basher books and documentaries. 

I feel your pain.  Aside from regular textbooks like CPO or Holt, there aren't many good middle school geology/earth science programs out there.

Hmm....maybe I'll give ES another look.  It was the Usborne book that he disliked, so maybe the Kingfisher would be a better choice.  Focus on Middle School Science has a geology program that I just noticed in my Rainbow catalog, so maybe I can mix that in as well.

Based on what you've written, that your DS wants to study geology, doesn't like reading from encyclopedias, and I'm assuming also wants geology-related labs, I don't think Sonlight Science G will give you what you want.

It is labeled as "geology, physics and origins", and it is really just a mish-mash of different things, not specifically focused on geology at all.  I own six of the seven books (not counting the TM) used in that program, including the two TOPS lab books (and supplies).  If you look at the book list, only one of the books used is specific to the study of Earth science/geology, and it is the Usborne Encyclopedia of Planet Earth.  So, it's just an encyclopedia, which you said you don't want, and only about 150 pages, not enough to last a year.  Cool Stuff 2.0 (talks about technology) and What's Science All About (another Usborne volume, a broad summary of biology, chemistry, and physics) are neat little books, but they were below the level of my DS last year as a 5th grader; he actually scoffed at them.  :laugh:  They're both full of nifty info (for a younger kid, perhaps) but its just snippets, nothing in-depth.  Another book (and a DVD) in the program talks about evolution vs. creationism, and the last book is about life science topics like botany and ecology.  The two TOPS books are chemistry-related (Analysis and Cohesion/Adhesion) - again, not geology.  DS used both of those TOPS kits last year, and we liked them pretty well, though.  Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear.

Sonlight's science programs for level G and below try to cover lots of things at a high level all in one year and the output is quite worksheet-y (fill in the blank, matching, etc.)  That appeals to some kids but not others.  The TOPS labs are usually pretty good but you don't have to get them from Sonlight, you can buy them directly from the TOPS website and I've seen them on Amazon too.

I can recommend the Rocks and Minerals TOPS book with kit, as a supplement.  My 6th grade DS is using it this year and he loves it so far (about 4 weeks in).  He can do it independently.  We're also using Elemental Science logic stage Earth/Astronomy (which you said you didn't want) and supplementing with CPO Earth for extra reading.

Hope that helps some.

I totally agree with this review!! We really enjoyed SL Science D,E and F, but hated G. Sorry, I have no suggestions of what else to use. My ds, 7th grade, will be doing Rainbow Science Year 1 this school year.