Menu

Switching from SL to MP

I'm switching from a literature based curricula (SL) to a workbook based one. Huge change!

I hope to see more writing and contemplating on paper more than has been required of her to this point. I personally need clear guidelines for all subjects. We would both appreciate a daily schedule so both of us can feel successful.

I am looking forward to the blessing of actually TEACHING her instead of spending additional time working out a schedule.

I think my biggest worry: It won't be fun.

MP wrote an article about just that very topic...page 40...Summer 2013 issue.

Thoughts?

MP can still be as discussion-oriented as you want; all the writing is not required (but can be helpful if it is an area the child needs to work on).  The discussion questions in the guides can stimulate some very good conversations.

I like the freedom to do science, Bible, history, geography, etc. once per week for one large block of time instead of trying to fit it all in every day.  It seems more efficient to me and my children have been learning plenty.

ETA: Streamlined learning leaves time for the fun stuff. :D

I use to do all BJU (textbook and workbook format) then I switched to doing mostly SL and now I do a mix. Doing all one or all the other did not work for us. With the mix we get literature work, workbooks, and notebooking plus mapping and timeline and it keeps a variety of work type on the plate.

As far as "fun" , you can do some of the workbook pages oral. Add in some hands on things. I think the newness of the workbook curriculum will be enough to keep your children interested. Then if you continue with MP you can tweak it to add interest where you saw it not working.

I've used SL for years and this coming fall, my kids are going to be taking a very advanced, time-consuming literature course, so I doubt we will have time to do SL.  I am already regretting it and still hoping to squeeze SL in even at half pace because SL is the "fun" and "enjoyment" factor of our homeschool.  Math, grammar, writing, those are all important subjects, but we don't have fun with them the way we have with SL,   I agree with doing a mix as others suggested.  I've used SL for History and Literature and science and then workbooks for math and grammar and an outsourced IEW class for writing.  It was a good balance for us.

Oh, and the reason I am doing this lit course is because my dd thinks she wants to since she loves Greek mythology (though we'll see how she feels about it once we actually get into it) and I've been trying to find a one day a week cottage school/coop that my kids can participate in because this is my son's last year before high school.  My personal feeling is that it is important to have something like that in high school, especially since most of his friends have either moved away or gone on to public high school.