Menu

Allergy cough treatment ideas for kids? - Updated

Are you sure he doesn't have some asthma related to his allergies? I didn't think oldest did but an inhaler has made a huge difference when her allergies become bad and she starts coughing.

:iagree:   Sounds like it may be more asthma related than allergies.  Talk to the dr about trying an inhaler.

Yep.  Sounds like asthma.  Cough variant induced by allergies.  

I never would have guessed that DS has asthma.  He doesn't wheeze.  But the cough.  :(  Now we know.

You might mention it to the doc.  We do a daily inhaler and Nasonex, have reduced his allergen exposure (knowing what to reduce was key) - and what a difference!

Hope you find answers soon.

i agree with the others about the possibility that it's asthma.

My asthma boy's seasonal nasal symptoms have done well recently with Xlear nasal spray - within a couple days, he said he thought it was working better than claritin.  (I got it at a vitamin store.)

Are you sure he doesn't have some asthma related to his allergies? I didn't think oldest did but an inhaler has made a huge difference when her allergies become bad and she starts coughing.

I agree. I would have him seen by a pulmonologist. Untreated asthma can cause permanent lung damage, even if it seems mild.

Well good grief am I glad I asked! I had no idea! 

My stepson has asthma, seems to be outgrowing it now that he's 16, but his only flared when he got a cold. So I thought I was familiar with asthma, you know? He has an albuterol rescue inhaler as well as steroid breathing treatments with his nebulizer machine.

I have no experience with cough variant asthma induced by allergies. I now have a new research topic. And perhaps a trip to the pediatrician. Or should I skip the ped and go straight to a pulmonologist?

Wow. So, yeah, cough variant asthma triggered by allergies does seem to be exactly what he has. He gets hay fever allergies every summer, and starts coughing. It's been this way at least three years now. Good grief I can't believe it's taken me this long to figure out what's going on. I feel kinda like a bad mom. Ugh.

I'll be calling his pediatrician in the morning.

Wow. So, yeah, cough variant asthma triggered by allergies does seem to be exactly what he has. He gets hay fever allergies every summer, and starts coughing. It's been this way at least three years now. Good grief I can't believe it's taken me this long to figure out what's going on. I feel kinda like a bad mom. Ugh.

I'll be calling his pediatrician in the morning.

Don't feel bad. That's why we are here to help each other. My son saw a pulmonologist the first time by pure luck because he was the one signing off for the residents.

Don't feel bad. That's why we are here to help each other. My son saw a pulmonologist the first time by pure luck because he was the one signing off for the residents.

Thanks Mrs. Mungo. At 11:15 when he was STILL awake because he was coughing so much, I pulled out the nebulizer and albuterol and gave him a breathing treatment. Before we did it, he said "Mommy, I have this awful tickle in my throat that no matter how hard or how much I cough it won't go away!". I explained to him the best I could what I thought was going on, and how this medicine should help. After he finished the treatment, he said the tickle was small now, and he felt like he could breathe better. He still coughed some but was able to fall asleep. 

I'm going to try to get him in to be seen tomorrow, because from my reading, it seems I want him on a inhaled controller med for the summer months. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to come back and both update and thank all you ladies.

We got ds in to the pediatrician on the 11th; we left on the 12th for a ten day vacation. She did breathing tests and determined he does indeed have asthma. She has him on Pulmicort to control it for now, with using albuterol nebulizer treatments as needed. The Pulmicort is helping *some*; I'm hoping things will continue to improve over the next two or so weeks as it builds up. He hasn't needed a nebulizer treatment in over a week, so obviously things are getting some better.

Anyone have any experiences to share with Pulmicort? Is there anything "better" I should ask for? Not to mention, there's no generic for Pulmicort yet, so the prescription had a FIFTY DOLLAR copay. :/

There is generic for Pulmicort: Budesomide. We have it for the nebulizer. Not sure about the inhaler form. My kids have a name brand inhaler called Qvar. 

He is using the flexhaler by Pulmicort.

I know a couple families who have had children with similar issues who had great success with Young Living Lavender oil.  Used topically on the chest and also diffused.  

We've used lavender for allergy issues and it's amazing how quickly it works!

Thank you so much, I will look into this!

So glad you got some answers and some hope!

My daughter uses Advair.

Did they treat the allergies as well?  That is a key piece here---allergy pill and if needed Singulaire and/or nasal spray

Yes, treating the allergies is key here, too.  We use Nasonex (nasal spray) as Singulair was a disaster.  

DS also uses Advair and QVar daily.  We've had the best spring/summer ever on this combo!

My son did well on an Advair/Nasonex combo when he was younger. He is now just on Advair and has done well with just that here in HI.

Singulair caused him mood problems. It slowly builds up in your system. It took a couple of years for him to start having issues with it. I only connected the issues with the Singulair because I had read it was a potential side effect online. He had started to become angry all the time. It took about 2 weeks to get out of his system, then he was his happy self again.