Menu

CMers, I need help paring down Ambleside Online

Since we started homeschooling I've used a classical/CM mix. This fall I've decided to go full board with Ambleside Online. The problem is twofold - first, since we're not used to doing quite so much reading and narration I'm afraid of overloading the kiddos, and second, we're already committed to a co-op that will provide science, history, art, spanish, geography and writing. I really don't have time to do all that plus the full AO book list. 

So. I have a sixth, fourth and second grader, but I'm going to do Year 2 history with all of them because it coincides with the co-op history. Here are their booklists for term one: 

3rd grader: 

Bible

An Island Story

A Child's History of the World

This Country of Ours

Trial and Triumph

The Little Duke

Pagoo

Tall Tales

Heroes

Parables of Nature

Princess and the Goblin

4th grader: 

Bible

An Island Story

This Country of Ours

Trial and Triumph

The Little Duke

The Handbook of Nature Study

Madame How and Lady Why

The Story Book of Science

The Age of Fable

Robinson Crusoe

6th grader: 

Bible

An Island Story

Trial and Triumph

The Little Duke

The Handbook of Nature Study

School of the Woods

It Couldn't Just Happen

Secrets of the Universe

Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity

Age of Fable

The Hobbit 

PLUS Shakespeare, Plutarch, poetry, composer study, picture study... 

What would you cut out? What are your favorite things that you'd make sure to find time for? I'm already cutting out the geography reading, hymns and folksongs. 

Thank you!!

For nature study and art help, nothing beats Harmony Fine Arts and Outdoor Hour Challenge. There's your art and picture/composer study plus nature study all planned out for you. 

http://harmonyfinearts.org/

http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/

It's like  doing Ambleside/CM without the work of planning it.

As far as history, I would just focus on reading the Child's History, and maybe picking up another after that. I wouldn't try to read all of those at one time.

You could just start your day reading one of the poetry selections. That's what I did when I did Ambleside.

I'd try to let some of the literature selections be independent reading and save some others as read alouds. Bedtime reading is a great way to fit some in. You could also look for audio books for some of them. 

Look closely at those history books that are listed in all 3 years. There's your clue that you wouldn't need to read all of them. 

Have you seen the ambleside schedule?  http://www.amblesideonline.org/04sch.shtml

That may help you keep track of what to read when to make it easier to combine with your co-op.

Well, I certainly wouldn't fault you for saving Plutarch for later.  How do you feel about the science readings?  If you're getting science at co-op and doing nature study too, I wonder if you need the cm-style science books, but that's kind of a personal preference thing.  I would keep composer study and artist study very quick and casual, i.e. make a CD of the selections for the term's composer and play them in the car.  Just getting familiar with the pieces is so helpful.  Whatever you do to learn about the composer's life, keep it simple and short.  Same with artist - you could use the "World's Greatest Artist" series for biographical info and then just post each piece of art on the fridge (or use as a screensaver) or whatever for a couple weeks. each.  I guess I'm saying that a little exposure goes a long way.  Also, TCOO is used very little in Year 2 (if I remember correctly), and I think you could eliminate it altogether until later (especially if you read D'Aulaire's Leif the Lucky instead).  Personally, I like how you've adjusted your reading lists for each child. 

ETA:  If they're getting writing at co-op, I wouldn't feel pressure to narrate everything!

Thank you!

I got the booklist from the Ambleside schedule. I love that site! 

Here's a question - if you're following the Ambleside schedule, how long does it really take? For example, if they're assigned one chapter of A Child's History of the World (3-4 pages) how long does it take to read and narrate. I'm guessing ten minutes or so but I feel like I could be off on that. 

We stopped AO last year but I can at least give you my favorites from 3rd grade.

I'd keep: 

Bible

An Island Story

The Little Duke

Pagoo

Those were some of our favorites. :) We also enjoyed Shakespeare but didn't do Plutarch. Nature Study was fun, as was artist and composer study. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...