Menu

stool softener for 5 y/o

motherdear

My daughter, now six, has had issues with not pooping, pooping her undies, painful pooping, and constipation off and on for a few years. We had seen the doctor about it, who prescribed some kind of stool softener. It helped, but the constipation came back. This spring the constipation was bad enough that we gave her half a Dulcolax suppository a few time since nothing was moving. We see an herbalist too, and he prescribed dandelion tincture, violet leaf tea, and ground flax seed. Violet tea was a bust, only because it doesn't taste good, even sweet. Dandelion tincture, daily dose in a little juice, works awesome. As long as she takes it, she poops daily without any problems. Ground flax seed (for fiber) helps, but she gets it mixed in with some yogurt and fruit. There's info on dandelion tincture on WebMD, and last time I bought the tincture I got it from Swansons online. I can't imagine that the dandelion would be habit forming.

Cherry juice is also a good option if they won't drink prune juice. I've used both the Phillips brand for kids and the fleet brand pediatric magnesium chewables. Unfortunately I've also had to use a fleet enema on my son who was so stopped up he was screaming and crying on the toilet, but it's pretty gentle and it works fast. I've dealt with it on and off most of my own life, so it kills me to see my son deal with it occasionally.

Magnesium citrate is what my nd had my ds take. We had the powder and I mixed in in applesauce. Also, push the liquids (dehydration can contribute to constipation) and fibrous foods. Fibrous foods without enough water will do the opposite of helping.

I prefer using a suppository or enema to clean out, then doing dietary things to maintain, to Miralax if you can. It's a good thing to try first in my opinion. Pump fluids (water or juice, not dairy). Coconut oil can help, adequate fat generally helps but especially things like coconut. My son takes it on a spoon. He also takes magnesium citrate. If we make sure to go daily, things go well here but we did need to clean out initially to get there. If that doesn't work/there is too much fear despite changes, you may need the miralax.