Menu

1st Grade Language Arts

Aubrey

I've got WWE on one side of me & PLL on the other. I just realized PLL is supposed to be for 2nd/3rd. I'm terrible at getting the right level for the right kid--I'm one who thought using old college textbooks for 1st graders would be a great way to save $, lol, so--help. Should I use both of these this year? Just one? Is PLL too much for 1st grade, or does it really matter?

Plus, WWE doesn't cover any grammar really. You'd need to add in FLL. My kids felt like doing both WWE and FLL in 1st was too much. They weren't ready. Instead of WWE1 I did something along those lines, but much more informal using the literature we were currently reading. That seemed to work really well.

EFTC would also be great!

I haven't used PLL.

We used WWE (without FLL) for first grade and felt it was just about right. As a caveat, I don't feel it's necessary to focus on a lot of grammar before 3rd-4th grade, though. The incidental stuff in WWE was fine, and it included punctuation and mechanics. If you have a strong reader/advanced student, PLL would be fine for a first grader. If not, save it for second grade.

I own PLL. I would say the average first grader isn't quite ready for that. PLL covers grammar and some easy writing.

WWE is just composition writing.

My first graders mostly used First Language Lessons level 1, regular copywork for composition writing and penmanship, Phonics Pathways or a spelling book (if they were reading well enough to drop the regular phonics instruction), and good quality children's literature for reading.

I'm on my 2nd first grader to use WWE/FLL combo. It's not been too much for either of them (and they're in completely different spots... one was very advanced in reading, and the other is still working on becoming fluent with short vowel words). FLL1 is so gentle and simple. WWE1 is a lot harder than FLL1. Some kids aren't ready for WWE in 1st grade, and that's ok too. You also don't really *need* FLL1. It's fine to start grammar in 2nd or 3rd grade and jump in at grade level (most programs repeat everything every single year in elementary).