Menu

Your favorite early logic stage earth science/space books and resources?

I'm going science lite for this fall. Although Autumn is science bent and enjoys it, her dyslexia dictates that we concentrate on other areas right now, and with her working memory issues, I want to focus more on math as well.

She'll be doing Runkle's Geography this fall, and it has some physical science in it (minimal, from what I hear), so I'm looking for some INTERESTING resources to steer DD towards along the same lines. She's very interested in weather, space, etc. Resources that do not take much time (read: not experiments) and are high content, interesting, but semi easy reads.

Well, I can't tell you how it is going to work out as we haven't done them yet, but here is what I have planned for the year: Memoria Press Astronomy. It is aimed for 3rd grade and up, so I think it would qualify under your easy to read category. And for the Earth Science I went with the John Tiner, Exploring Planet Earth. It is a mixture of science history and explorer history. I wanted a simple year too for space and earth science this year. We will supplement with Arty Facts Science and Art books (space and weather among others,) a microscope and books, and a telescope, and science museum and co-op classes for experiments. (Plus a month of Robotics team and competition)

Well, I can't tell you how it is going to work out as we haven't done them yet, but here is what I have planned for the year: Memoria Press Astronomy. It is aimed for 3rd grade and up, so I think it would qualify under your easy to read category. And for the Earth Science I went with the John Tiner, Exploring Planet Earth. It is a mixture of science history and explorer history. I wanted a simple year too for space and earth science this year. We will supplement with Arty Facts Science and Art books (space and weather among others,) a microscope and books, and a telescope, and science museum and co-op classes for experiments. (Plus a month of Robotics team and competition)

Thanks! I'll definitely order MP's astronomy.

Do you know if the Tiner book takes a young earth or old earth stand?

The DK Eyewitness series has beautiful books on Earth, Weather, Hurricane, Volcano, Astronomy, etc.I also really like their Visual Dictionary series which has books on Earth and Universe. Apart from those, you could also try some of these for Earth Science:

Shaping the Earth

Basher: Planet Earth

Island, a story of the Galapagos

B is for Blue Planet

Dr. Art's Guide to Planet Earth

For Space Science, apart from the DK books, you could try the George series by Stephen and Lucy Hawking. I found another couple of books recently which look interesting but I have not seen myself - Professor Astro Cat's Frontiers of Space and Journey By Starlight: A Time Traveler's Guide to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

My favorite book for earth science by far was Shaping the Earth by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent.  We read most of it aloud, but it was a stretch for my young'uns.  It's solidly logic stage, but it might be too much for a struggling reader.

The other great earth science set of books are the Seymour Simon ones that cover most basic earth science topics.  They would probably be just right for a struggling middle school reader.  The information is going to be on the simpler end, but the books themselves are excellent and not young look at all.

On the Tiner book:  They are sold as Creationists books, but I am not young earth.  I don't have any problems w/it or the two other Tiner books I have used (History of Medicine and Exploring Biology). The age of the Earth is not addressed.  It is more that it was created, yk?  It starts in the ancients w/how the earth was measured accurately during Greek times and moves forward.