Menu

5th Grade Poetry Memorization?

My oldest ds has used FLL since 2nd grade. He LOVES the poems he memorized & he actually enjoys the process of memorizing them. Now that I have no FLL to guide me, I'm at a loss as to what poems he should memorize for 5th grade. In 4th grade he memorized all the FLL 4 poems, plus the Declaration of Independence & Preamble to the Constitution.

We'll be doing ancient history & biology next year, so we'll have memory work from history(lists of names/dates) & science lessons, but I'd like some suggestions for poetry.

Thanks!

We are still working on IEW's poetry memorization. For my 10yo I'm planning to add in "IF" by Rudyard Kipling this summer, and then start "Horatius at the Bridge" in the fall. (MP recommends it for 6-8th, I peaked at the guide they sell on Amazon and it offers a few abridgment options (the whole poem is 70 stanzas). When my coming 4th grader hits 5th, I want to have him memorize Paul Revere's Ride. Or maybe we'll do it as a group, who knows!

101 Famous Poems has a lot of solid selections. So does the classic "Harp and Laurel Wreath".

If you want a serious challenge, check out Horatius at the Bridge. Memoria Press has their 5th graders study it and some memorize, "The Churchill Challenge." My kids started it this year and are about 1/3 of the way through. We'll finish it, just on the slow boat- kwim. You can read about our Horaitus adventure here.

MP also now has a "medal" you can purchase to reward your kiddo if they complete it.