Menu

Omnibus I and sexual content

mollies73

I am thinking of using Omnibus I self-paced for my upcoming 7th grader this next year. I am a bit put off by the sexual content in many of the texts used. For this reason, I have found abridged texts, children's editions, etc. for those that I am concerned about. I was wondering if anyone knows if this questionable content is in any of the discussions.

Thanks

You should contact Veritas for specifics because the self-paced is so new. You can email if you're busy.

One of mine took the live Omnibus I class directly from Bruce Etter, and there was a list that he provided that had the specific page numbers where there might be some concerns. I don't know how that applies to the self-paced.

In the rain: I have heard Herodotus has some in it. There is prostitution for the god, Aphrodite, then there is some sort of phallic procession, and father/daughter incest. In the Aeneid, there is some sex between Aeneas and Dido as well as Venus seducing her husband. Gilgamesh has sex with a prostitute. 12 Caesars has incest, homosexuality, beastiality, prostitution, and sex with children. The ones that don't have sex have a lot of sacrificing, cannibalism, and other such gore. I am trying to read through the books, but they are very heavy reading. Some of this information I actually found while reading, some I found while looking at summaries. I really like the overall feel of Omnibus, but with so many great books out there, I am really puzzled as to why they chose these...especially for seventh grade.

In the rain: I have heard Herodotus has some in it. There is prostitution for the god, Aphrodite, then there is some sort of phallic procession, and father/daughter incest. In the Aeneid, there is some sex between Aeneas and Dido as well as Venus seducing her husband. Gilgamesh has sex with a prostitute. 12 Caesars has incest, homosexuality, beastiality, prostitution, and sex with children. The ones that don't have sex have a lot of sacrificing, cannibalism, and other such gore. I am trying to read through the books, but they are very heavy reading. Some of this information I actually found while reading, some I found while looking at summaries. I really like the overall feel of Omnibus, but with so many great books out there, I am really puzzled as to why they chose these...especially for seventh grade.

Well, they are some of the greatest and most important of the Great Books.

Seventh grade seems a little young though. Editions can probably be found that aren't very explicit.

I would probably just put the books off for a couple of years if I wasn't comfortable discussing the questionable bits with my seventh grader. Some of those questionable bits are important to the books. When Shamhat has sex with Enkidu in Gilgamesh it's an act that welcomes Enkidu into humanity and civilizes him. That's a positive and respectful view of sex that I would want my kids to note. I have my doubts about whether a seventh grader would pick that up so I would rather put the book aside for a couple of years then pick a sanitized version.

That those books have such content is no reflection of their worth or quality. The Bible after all has much of the same in parts. The Ancients didn't have our issues.

I agree that those are tough topics for 7th grade. I don't have a child that old yet, but I don't foresee my 11yo dd being ready for such things anytime soon.

Well, they are some of the greatest and most important of the Great Books.

Seventh grade seems a little young though. Editions can probably be found that aren't very explicit.

I would probably just put the books off for a couple of years if I wasn't comfortable discussing the questionable bits with my seventh grader. Some of those questionable bits are important to the books. When Shamhat has sex with Enkidu in Gilgamesh it's an act that welcomes Enkidu into humanity and civilizes him. That's a positive and respectful view of sex that I would want my kids to note. I have my doubts about whether a seventh grader would pick that up so I would rather put the book aside for a couple of years then pick a sanitized version.

That those books have such content is no reflection of their worth or quality. The Bible after all has much of the same in parts. The Ancients didn't have our issues.

These are excellent points. My dds have been exposed to some pretty mature ideas in the Bible. It has always amazed me though how easily children can gloss over some things they aren't ready to handle. They have read about genocide, prostitution, incest and such in the Bible, but never really asked for clarification of what was going on. If the sexual content is important to the story line, as you mentioned above, I would wait until my dd was old enough to understand and appreciate what was happening.