Menu

What can I do that's yummy w/ kale that's starting to wilt? (no smoothies, kale chips, onion or garlic)

HappyGrace

I don't have any great ideas for wilted kale, but you can make it crisp again and go from there to use it in a salad or whatever. Just take a vase or mason jar or whatever you have and put some ice water in it. Cut off a good inch or so of each stalk of kale then place it in the water. Leave it there for at least 30 minutes...maybe longer. You may end up with a stubborn stalk or so that refuses to re-crisp, but most of it should do nicely.

Sorry I don't have a wonderful recipe though.

Boil it in with the pasta and top with spaghetti sauce. Blanch it ala Cynthia Lair ("Cooking for the Whole Family"), drain, chop it up, and use it to top a pizza (any pizza). Or as a topping on a white pizza. Or a kale pesto. On a grilled veggie sandwich (blanch as above - it's sweeter that way). Blanch it ala Cynthia Lair, top it with a little sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce and honey, plus toasted sesame seeds. Massaged kale salad with a citrus dressing. Massaged kale salad with chopped walnuts, bleu cheese, cranberries, and apple. Frittata. Colcannon with kale instead of cabbage. Blanched and then use the leaves to make something akin to cabbage rolls (Cynthia Lair's wbsite has a version that uses collard greens). Boli it with pasta, and mix in ricotta cheese, lemon zest, and parmesan cheese plus a little of the pasta water.

Or blanch it and freeze for later.

Thanks for the great recommendations! I think I will blanch/freeze for soup later.

LOVE the Cynthia Lair site-just ordered the book-thank you!

:0) Oh, I'm glad you liked it! It's one of my favorite cookbooks. I also love the videos on Cookus Interruptus, though there's often some overlap betweeb the two. I should also mention that there are a couple of techniques for massaged kale salad. The main one uses salt, but I know there's one that uses citrus(?). Nava Alas has a comprehensive cookbook all about greens that mentions a total of three if salt is a concern. Just an FYI if that helps in the future.

Thanks, I did see that Cookus Int. uses salt to massage-I will look at Nava Atlas-that's a big help, thank you! I think some other food blogs just have you massaging it w/ oil-I'll have to look into it.

I have to say that the Cynthia Lair stuff is an answer to prayer, so thank you again!

Remove the ribs, chop it up and use in a quiche. You can do it with or without cheese. Google any basic quiche base. Normally i make it crustless. Last time i made it, i took it too a party. It was sat on the table near corn and tortilla chips that were there with other dips. When I came back to it, because it was crustless I guess people didn't know it was quiche. However everyone said they loved the great warm dip I brought!