Menu

Creative Memories changing/bankruptcy. What are you traditional scrappers who use their products.....

KatieJ

So if they are not going to make the traditional album that we have known and loved, what are you going to continue to scrapbook with?

Do you have another album that you like that is similiar? I know there are supposed to be strap hinge albums at Hobboy Lobby but the ones I saw in the past did not compare in quality to CM stuff?

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I have no idea. :( I guess I'll go back to the Pioneer post bound albums I used to use. I do have some coversets and pages to use up first, so I do have time to peruse options.

I feel really bad for my CM rep. I've been buying from her for 8 years and they effectively are getting rid of just about everything I buy (and others too I'm sure). It's definitely going to hurt her - and she's been one of their top selling reps for years - winning incentive trips and stuff.

It seems to me that they may not be out of business yet, but boneheaded decisions like this will probably put them out of business.

Looks like I have a cabinet full of things that will be in high demand on Craigslist...

I have stockpiled over the years, thinking every summer I'd get around to assembling albums. Many of those springs dh came home with news that we'd be spending our summer relocating instead.

ME TOO!

I am terrible at scrapbooking but I wanted so badly to actually do it!

I need to pull all that out and list it.

Dawn

Looks like I have a cabinet full of things that will be in high demand on Craigslist...

I have stockpiled over the years, thinking every summer I'd get around to assembling albums. Many of those springs dh came home with news that we'd be spending our summer relocating instead.

What is this? CM is no longer selling actual photo albums? I better take stock of what I will need to finish up what I have to do yet. Can someone give me more details on this???

They have filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. Court date was yesterday, but they have not to my knowledge revealed the outcome of that.

For several weeks now all tools are in the "while supplies last" category, along with embelishments, paper etc.

You can stil place an order for some of the their albums, pages and page protectors which they have promised to fill. There will be a cut off date for those. I am not sure if it's in July or August, but it's soon..

After that, they have said their will be albums such as the Fast to Furious product and the Pic Folio album they now carry. However, they may be different than what they have now, so place your order immediatly if you need something to complete an album.

Anything else I have to say is out of frustration and speculation so I will not say more.

According to this consultant's website (http://psgphotosolutions.com/creative-memories-bankruptcy/) everything is on an "while supplies last" basis with the expectation that none of it will be available going forward. At least according go her they will be completely reimagining their product line.

ETA: Here's another post on the matter (http://adashofscrapbooking.blogspot.com/2013/06/creative-memories-bankruptcy-update_15.html)

From what I have read, they haven't decided about the digital stuff yet but may be severely limiting new products with it.

Wait. What????

Holy cow, I haven't heard this at all!!

What about their digital stuff?? I just did upgrade to the 4.0 storybook and have yet to purchase my first digital album :(

From what I have read, they haven't decided about the digital stuff yet but may be severely limiting new products with it.

Cm reps aren't saying. However, I did hear a discussion last night at our montly Crop Club that the company that designed Memory Manger for CM might be buying the digital portion of the business.

I used to spend a lot of time scrapbooking and I love looking through those albums. If I weren't homeschooling I would probably be making traditional scrapbooks during the day. So many people switched to digital because it's cheaper and less mess, but I don't enjoy digital scrapping and I'm rarely happy with the final result. I like the texture, art, and total freedom of traditional scrapbooking. I liked CM and sometimes bought their products, but I can find plenty of traditional materials at my local Hobby Lobby.

can you just set the record straight here?? I hate it when people spread misinformation because of the horrible "gossip mill"....can you explain what happened, why it happened and then what they are hoping the result will be as it affects their customers? thank you very much. I don't like "thinking" I know something based on what others have said....only to find out later that I was wrong and I wrongfully informed other people without knowing the truth....and I think that is what can happen here very easily....nothing malicious....just innocently being misinformed.

can you just set the record straight here?? I hate it when people spread misinformation because of the horrible "gossip mill"....can you explain what happened, why it happened and then what they are hoping the result will be as it affects their customers? thank you very much. I don't like "thinking" I know something based on what others have said....only to find out later that I was wrong and I wrongfully informed other people without knowing the truth....and I think that is what can happen here very easily....nothing malicious....just innocently being misinformed.

This is the email I got from Creative Memories.

Dear Rewards Club Member,

Thank you for your membership, and for your belief in Creative Memories products and mission.

As you may know, we're working on exciting plans for a bright new future for our business that will bring the mission to even more people. As we’ve shared before, we intend to emerge from Chapter 11 with a simpler, more focused business model, and will be sharing more with you as we go.

As part of the Chapter 11 process, Creative Memories has sent a few official notifications on behalf of the Court, and you will be getting another one later today. It will likely be in "legalese," so we'd like to explain what it includes.

The future business we're working on includes new, fresh products and programs. To make that happen, we need to begin transitioning out of current products and programs. So we've filed a motion for the Court's consideration. It establishes procedures and modifies some of our programs related to while supplies last for many traditional products and a last chance order opportunity.

What's been put before the Court is our intention, and it does require Court approval, so it is not a certainty yet. But upon approval, what does that mean for you and for the Rewards Club?

We will stop accepting new members or renewing existing memberships of the Rewards Club (this is effective as of the filing today, June 12, 2013).

We will honor Rewards Club Credits, and the Rewards Club program will continue until August 21, 2013.

Due to the while supplies last of traditional products, we will not be restocking much of the current inventory on hand, so this is an excellent time to use your Club Credits to get those products you've had your eye on.

We will issue Club Credits to compensate for unused days of Membership. We will use August 21 as the final day for the Rewards Club and base calculations on the membership fee of $39. So for example, if an individual bought a membership on June 1, 2013, then as of August 21, 2013 she would have used 82 days of the membership, leaving 283 days used. Thus, she would be credited with $30.24 in Rewards Club Credit ($39 x (283/365)).

For some core products, like Refills, Page Protectors and some core albums, we will be offering a "last chance" order period in July, during which time we will do our best to manufacture to demand. We will communicate more about that as it gets closer, including the specific products available for a last chance order.

All of this is pending approval from the Court, so items like the reimbursement of Club Credits will happen when and if we get approval.

We understand this is big news, but hope, if approved as proposed, the transition period will be sufficient for you to get the supplies you need. And please know that we will welcome you with open arms as we re-launch in the future.

So sad. I too received an email from a local CM consultant. I started off using CM over 10 years ago, but moved on to other scrapbooking products back when CM had a much more basic product line. I need to get some refill pages for a few albums before they sell out.

Most of the papers and supplies I use now, I buy from Joann's. They seem high quality to me. Stampin Up and Close to My Heart have nice materials too.

Even though I'm way behind on scrapbooking, I ordered a few albums to complete projects in the way I'm used to. For instance it will take 4 albums to complete each kid's childhood (birth through high school). I had three albums each but needed to buy one more so they will all be the same. I bought myself a little time, but in a few years I may need to change how I do things.

First off, let me say, I am an independent consultant, not a corporate employee of CM. However, they have been very open with all of the consultants through a series of webinars. Here's what I know (of course there are still some unknowns- and I do believe the motion was granted today):

1. Gift Certificates need to be redeemed before the August deadline. This is true. I am not exactly sure why, but remember, CM is a party plan company and so its competitors are Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, etc, not Hobby Lobby.

2. The Rewards Club is ending, but the consultants can still give special offers of their own.

3. The CURRENT products are either "While Supplies Last" or "Last Chance." So, there will still be traditional and digital, and fast to fab, but there will be new contracts in place with various companies (this is no different than before other than the items may be produced by another group). Again, don't worry. They will still have products for all styles, but this type of bankruptcy ends old contracts, requires new ones, etc.

4. Traditional is the basis of the company and will continue to be part of the product line.

5. Digital will still be part of the company, but there will be different partnerships and a different format for digital. If you have Storybook or Memory Manager, go ahead and update them if you haven't. They will still be supported by the company that produced them.

Edited by Moderator
No selling, please.

So sad. I too received an email from a local CM consultant. I started off using CM over 10 years ago, but moved on to other scrapbooking products back when CM had a much more basic product line. I need to get some refill pages for a few albums before they sell out.

Most of the papers and supplies I use now, I buy from Joann's. They seem high quality to me. Stampin Up and Close to My Heart have nice materials too.

This is exactly why CM is changing. They currently have over 500 products in their line and are returning to a more basic product line.

My guess--CM will be no more by 2014. They owe too many people money and are no longer able to buy raw materials so they are no longer selling their big sellers--pages and albums. If you order from them, use a credit card so you can chargeback if you need to. Very sad for all the consultants but it has been a sinking ship for the past 5 years.

REALLY??? What do you base that information on?? That is really too bad, if it's true.

Are you asking me? The bankruptcy documents are public record. I used to be a consultant and so I still know many. Consultant numbers have been going down for years. CM can't compete in a world of 40% off coupons. Their stubborn refusal to move to 12x12 paper until a few years ago didn't help them.

My guess--CM will be no more by 2014. They owe too many people money and are no longer able to buy raw materials so they are no longer selling their big sellers--pages and albums. If you order from them, use a credit card so you can chargeback if you need to. Very sad for all the consultants but it has been a sinking ship for the past 5 years.

I agree with this, although it may be before then. I was a consultant for 8 years, so sad to see the downward spiral.

It seems like digital scrapbookers may come out the best in this, since Panstoria (company that created SBC) will continue to support the digital software. And I did see this week that Persnickety Prints is going to produce 12x12 and 8x8 hardbound photobooks. So that could be a good option.

Katie, as to your original question, I am not aware of any other really good quality strap-hinge albums. I have plenty of albums and pages to use, but if I needed more I would probably look at CTMH. I don't like post-bound albums as well, but the quality is good. I am hoping that if CM does close, someone will buy the album-making equipment and will produce the basics. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...we will see!

When I first saw a Creative Memories album, my first thought was that it looked like a Webway album. They were in Light Impressions catalogs. Not sure if either Webway or Light Impressions is still around, but it gives you another name to look for. I always wondered if Webway made the CM albums.

When I first saw a Creative Memories album, my first thought was that it looked like a Webway album. They were in Light Impressions catalogs. Not sure if either Webway or Light Impressions is still around, but it gives you another name to look for. I always wondered if Webway made the CM albums.

I believe that company that made Creative Memorees albums is the same company that made Webway and Westrim albums.

Antioch company in St. Cloud, MN. I don't know if it was the same facitility, or where they are making them today. BUt if Hobby Lobby still has the Westrim albums, ( need to check on that) than they are being made some where!

As a consultant, based on the webinars and meetings I've been able to participate in, I don't think they will disappear. The bankruptcy helps them to deal with the debts they have and allows them to restructure.. Pages and albums are still going to continue to be available. They recently did an overhaul of their training and have some great new corporate leaders in place. I am confident that the new products and processes going in to place will be better for the company, customers, and consultants.

I believe that company that made Creative Memorees albums is the same company that made Webway and Westrim albums.

Antioch company in St. Cloud, MN. I don't know if it was the same facitility, or where they are making them today. BUt if Hobby Lobby still has the Westrim albums, ( need to check on that) than they are being made some where!

Antioch Company is the parent company of Creative Memories.

As a consultant, based on the webinars and meetings I've been able to participate in, I don't think they will disappear. The bankruptcy helps them to deal with the debts they have and allows them to restructure.. Pages and albums are still going to continue to be available. They recently did an overhaul of their training and have some great new corporate leaders in place. I am confident that the new products and processes going in to place will be better for the company, customers, and consultants.

Have you read the bankruptcy paperwork?? The powers that be at CM are NOT concerned about the consultants at this point (many would argue that they haven't been concerned about the consultants in years). They are looking out for #1 at this point. I hope you are right but I don't think you are. You would do well to proceed with caution.

Have you read the bankruptcy paperwork?? The powers that be at CM are NOT concerned about the consultants at this point (many would argue that they haven't been concerned about the consultants in years). They are looking out for #1 at this point. I hope you are right but I don't think you are. You would do well to proceed with caution.

Yes, I have read the bankruptcy paperwork. Consultants are the most fundamental part of their business and they have no business without consultants.

They have a breakdown of the filing faq's as well as a letter to their fans here: http://creativememories.com/restructuring/.

I have been in communications with many consultants, some are positive and some are negative about the situation. Change is never easy. I can't speak for others, but personally, I feel very supported and feel like they have a much stronger focus on helping their consultants than what I've seen at other companies I've worked at.

Edited by Moderator
No selling, please.

Yes, I have read the bankruptcy paperwork. Consultants are the most fundamental part of their business and they have no business without consultants.

They have a breakdown of the filing faq's as well as a letter to their fans here: http://creativememories.com/restructuring/.

I have been in communications with many consultants, some are positive and some are negative about the situation. Change is never easy. I can't speak for others, but personally, I feel very supported and feel like they have a much stronger focus on helping their consultants than what I've seen at other companies I've worked at.

That said, if there is something you need or want, I do recommend ordering it as soon as possible. I'm thrilled about the direction the company is moving in and would encourage anyone who loves CM products to "stand-by" as CM gets a great face-lift that will open up the market and help consultants reach out to more people and grow the business.

I'm not sure the Australian consultants and customers will share your enthusiasm for the "face-lift".

I'm not sure the Australian consultants and customers will share your enthusiasm for the "face-lift".

I agree. The situation in Australia is similar to ours and as such, some will see it as an opportunity and others as misfortune. But there are other markets, like Japan, that are continuing to grow and thrive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest MyGirls

I agree. The situation in Australia is similar to ours and as such, some will see it as an opportunity and others as misfortune. But there are other markets, like Japan, that are continuing to grow and thrive.

I totally disagree with cmckatiehudson.  Australia (and New Zealand) and the USA did not share similar situations in regards to the Creative Memories business.  The truth of the situation for Australia/NZ seems to have been kept hidden from people in the USA.  

I would like to set the record straight concerning Creative Memories Australia.  I was an active CM consultant in Australia for ten years until it finally closed its doors here in Australia this year.  Our market here was strong and self supporting.  In May this year CM Consultants in Australia were informed not to worry about what was happening with the Chapter 11 proceedings in America as we were independant of the USA company and Australia was going strong in its marketplace.  We were assured that Australia would not be affected.  However this scenario was to change in less than a month when the administrators of CM in the USA informed Australia that they had ceased manufacturing and shipping CM product to Australia.  Without product to sell Australia had no means to continue in business.  We were left with a small warehouse of stock, which when Australian consultants were informed that the USA had ceased supplying product to our market there was a rush of orders placed and all core product was soldout within two days within Australia.  Consultants across Australia felt betrayed by CM USA - we were dumped in the worst way - for while the US struggled to work their way out of debt Consultants in the US were still able to  trade as normal and be supplied with product for their customer base.  Australia was forced to go into 'voluntary administration' due to the lack of product supply from the USA.  We were forced to close our doors.  It is widely understood by many in Australia that alot of our hard earned profits were being syphoned off by the US to pay off their debts - part of the reason the original American administrators were sacked and new administrators appointed.

I hope that sheds some light on how different NOT similar things were with the USA and Australian markets.  More Americans need to look beyond their own backyard to see the affects their actions have on countries across the world.  They are certainly not the saviours they think they are.