Menu

Nexus 7 charger came loose

DawnM

I know I was warned this could potentially be an issue.......sigh.

It won't charge at all now. It is so loose it won't even stay where it is supposed to (the plug).

To say we have been overly careful with this thing since the beginning is an overstatement. We have an Otterbox on it at all times and only plug it in when we aren't actually using it (to avoid yanking), etc.....

But now we can't change it at all.

Do we call and send it in or do we attempt to fix this ourselves?

Anyone else have this issue?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!

How long is it under warranty?

I did take a look at the charging cable since posting and it looked a bit "off" to me. I found another charging cable and it seems to fit better and is now charging. I still would like to have them look at it if it is covered by warranty though.

Thank you,

Dawn

It won't charge at all now. It is so loose it won't even stay where it is supposed to (the plug).

I'm assuming you've tried a different cable.

Unless you are also using the USB port to connect to a computer or other device, it might be simpler to get the POGO-pin charging dock rather than send it for repairs:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-The-Official-Nexus-Dock/dp/B009UQZPA0

I thought of that but not sure it would work well with my Nexus in an Otterbox case.

Looking at the actual cable, the cable looks like it bent. I found a cable from an old Sprint phone that is exactly the same but has a longer "neck" and it seems to be working and not wobbling. Hopefully that was all it was.

I'm assuming you've tried a different cable.

Unless you are also using the USB port to connect to a computer or other device, it might be simpler to get the POGO-pin charging dock rather than send it for repairs:

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B009UQZPA0

I found a cable from an old Sprint phone that is exactly the same but has a longer "neck" and it seems to be working and not wobbling. Hopefully that was all it was.

We've been through a few cables ourselves. :)

I did research into the POGO pin option, and it sounded at least as problem-prone as the original cable.

After dd's Nexus was repaired, we tried other cables that looked like they had the same connector, but they wouldn't click into place and hold steady. I finally bit the bullet and spent what I thought was a ridiculous sum of money to get a genuine Nexus replacement cable. It clicked into place and has worked well.

So far I actually like this older Sprint one better. It is longer where it connects so it seems to go in further.

I guess we will see/find out.

I did research into the POGO pin option, and it sounded at least as problem-prone as the original cable.

After dd's Nexus was repaired, we tried other cables that looked like they had the same connector, but they wouldn't click into place and hold steady. I finally bit the bullet and spent what I thought was a ridiculous sum of money to get a genuine Nexus replacement cable. It clicked into place and has worked well.

I became a bit paranoid after this thread. :tongue_smilie: My 8yo started complaining about battery drain on her Nexus 7, and I'm thinking "Oh, crap. Oh, crap. Oh, crap." So I installed a battery monitor yesterday, hoping she just had a rogue app. Turned out she'd turned the brightness up to 100%. Phew.