Menu

Hobbies for a 15 year old boy

sdobis

My son (15) is in desperate need of things to do. We just moved to a new neighborhood, so he doesn't have any friends nearby. He is in football, but they are only meeting twice a month at this point. He attends church and youth group. Outside of that, nothing.

I limit screen time to 2 hours a day. I'd like it to be less. He's not artistic. He likes rollerblading and skateboarding, but he needs a lot more structure in his day.

He started getting involved in a bad crowd before we moved. He's rebelling a lot, but I think he's really bored. By the way, we only have one car and not a lot of money. I was thinking a job would be nice, but once football starts strong, he won't have time. We talked about a job after football season. Thanks for any ideas.

My ds enjoyed learning to make and edit videos at that age. He'd pick a song and favorite video game and edit it together. He still does that for fun sometimes. Alice is a nice animation program that's free. There's tons of tutorials for how to learn Photoshop or any of those type of programs. You can learn a lot online re: car repair, household maintenance, etc. You could even make it enough for partial high school credit. Not online, how about yard work (for you or others), a small garden, writing in a journal or short stories, running. Volunteering is always needed- soup kitchen, animal shelter, etc. I also wouldn't dismiss a job. Many places hire kids for the summer then drop their hours when school starts. My ds worked at the movie theater. Lots of hours in the summer when they're busy, much less in the fall. The same with most grocery stores. My ds also appreciated it when he got a small weight set.

Summer time is hard. I think volunteer work is a great idea. Video production is good, too. My oldest ds is just starting to do that. Check with your library to see if they offer any programs for teens. Our libraries have quite a few activities going on, but not too many during the summer unfortunately. 4-H is a great organization but many clubs take summers off and start up again in August or Sept. Does he play an instrument or want to learn one? Maybe he could hook up with the church choir if there is one, or find some other teens from church or the neighborhood who like to get together and jam.

My son fell in love with guitar and can keep himself busy with it for hours. Once he learned enough chords, he started playing with our praise and worship team at church which has opened up all sorts of opportunities for him. If he is not strumming, he enjoys bike riding and shooting his BB gun.

Music lessons. He might hate it for a few weeks, but I would do it, even if it meant using a credit card, or cutting something else. Kids with passions don't have as much of a need to get in trouble, ime.

Drums. Guitar. Electric bass. ? With someone younger and hip, and a guy. If you live near a uni or college, ring the music department and ask for the names of students offering lessons. They don't charge as much as an established teacher, and are often much more excited to spread their passion.

What about theater? Ime, music and theater kids are really nice. :)

What is he interested in and do you have a place nearby to volunteer that would support his interest. Do you have a rec center or community center? A rec center near me gives memberships to people who volunteer a few hours a month. So a person helping once a week in adaptive aquatics cold have free access to the gym or get priority in classes. My community center has many teen programs that are low cost or free. Do you have a park or a nature center --they usually are looking for volunteers.

Many of the volunteers in the programs I see are teens so volunteering would be a way to meet other kids as well.