Menu

Absolutely needed for LOE?!

Murrayshire

I am going to purchase LOE to use with my 5th grader and my 2nd grader. I need to know what I absolutely need so I don't overspend!! I do know I want to get the manuscript workbooks for both dc......how many sets of game cards? Basic phonograms (a must)....what about the advance phonograms? Spelling Game book.....Any help from those who use this program would be great! Thank you in advance! I want to try to not spend over $200(including shipping).....

You only NEED

The Teachers Manual (all activities could be done on a whiteboard and you can make your own cards)

It would be BEST if you had

The Student Workbook

Either the phonogram cards or the phonogram app

It's really NICE to have the

Game book

Two Decks of game cards

The Icing on the Cake is

The grammar cards and advanced phonogram cards

The Spelling Jounal

Hope that helps!

If I was going to use the spelling portion for my 5th grader for remediation, do you think I could do without the workbook and just have her keep a spelling journal? I would probably use the advanced spelling list for her. With my ds, 2nd grader, I will start at the beginning....and use advanced word list the next year. Would the workbook be something that would benefit him if not utilizing the grammar & composition portions? Thank you for your help!

I'm using LoE Essentials for Spelling as well. I would say you could get by w/ the Teacher's Manual and Phonogram cards. I have the workbook and it is handy but not necessarily essential and I don't use all the pages. I just find it handy to have some of the phonogram exercises they have listed w/out any planning.

I have some game cards but not the game book. The game cards are pretty useless w/out the game book though and I find that really annoying to be honest. I expected that there would be some directions for the games w/in the lessons, as there has been w/ Foundations. However, it recommends games and directs you to the Spelling Game book with no directions in the book. I had thought that the book was just a handy compilation of the games but I guess not (unless I'm missing something).

You totally don't need a workbook for your 5th grader. I bought the TM pdf, and that's all I used with my 5th grader; she has a notebook where she writes down the spelling rules and does the spelling lists. I write on the whiteboard.

With dd7, I bought her the manuscript workbook. It's definitely easier to have the workbook with her, because I'm doing the whole program, not just phonics & spelling. I also bought the phonogram cards, but I don't actually find that I use them, I just write the phonograms on the whiteboard or we do it orally . . . . that's it, we didn't by anything else.

So your minimalist purchase would be the TM as an ebook, if you have the technology to deal with that, and then buy one copy of the workbook for your younger, and maybe the cards. Anything else is gravy, IMO. Nice to have, but gravy.

You totally don't need a workbook for your 5th grader. I bought the TM pdf, and that's all I used with my 5th grader; she has a notebook where she writes down the spelling rules and does the spelling lists. I write on the whiteboard.

With dd7, I bought her the manuscript workbook. It's definitely easier to have the workbook with her, because I'm doing the whole program, not just phonics & spelling. I also bought the phonogram cards, but I don't actually find that I use them, I just write the phonograms on the whiteboard or we do it orally . . . . that's it, we didn't by anything else.

So your minimalist purchase would be the TM as an ebook, if you have the technology to deal with that, and then buy one copy of the workbook for your younger, and maybe the cards. Anything else is gravy, IMO. Nice to have, but gravy.

Thank you for your help! I ended up getting an extra workbook....oh well....I guess I could sell it if we don't use it or pass it on to someone else in my hs group. I may just use my AAS tiles as a visual, in place of phonogram cards, and use the white board with ds7.

Thanks again!