Menu

Science in the Beginning Dr Jay Wile v Apologia Elementary

Does anyone know how the price is going to compare with apologia? Is there a journal to buy also?

I paid $65 from this site in Australia (I am in Aus) http://educationreformation.net/content/science-beginning

If and when it becomes available in the US, I image the cost will be less.  We pay a lot extra for US products in Australia because it costs for suppliers to bring it in to the country.

I emailed Dr Wile about the journals and this was his response:

I currently don't have any plans to produce a companion notebook.  I really want to encourage the students to make their own.  I understand this can be uncomfortable for some students, but I really want them to become comfortable with the idea.

I personally would have preferred a journal like Apologia.

Hopefully it will be carried somewhere else with reasonable shipping. $14.61 is the cheapest to AL, and it's a $39 set of books!

Hopefully so, it is $15.80 to Texas! We have science covered till the end of the year so I think I'll wait a little.

From the comments section: "The second book (Science in the Ancient World) will be published in February or March of 2014. It has already been written and is currently being field-tested and peer-reviewed. The subsequent books are planned (Lord willing) to be published in February or March of each subsequent year. Thus, the last book in the series (Science in the 19th Century) is supposed to be published in February or March of 2017." (jwile)

From the comments section: "The second book (Science in the Ancient World) will be published in February or March of 2014. It has already been written and is currently being field-tested and peer-reviewed. The subsequent books are planned (Lord willing) to be published in February or March of each subsequent year. Thus, the last book in the series (Science in the 19th Century) is supposed to be published in February or March of 2017." (jwile)

That would be perfect for us doing Ancients next year in history! :D

Y'all are so spoiled with your shipping costs!  Even with that shipping it's cheaper than I can get it here in Australia!  $35 for the book and $15 for shipping, that's still only $50.  The book alone costs $65 here!  :banghead:  

Will be interested to hear more reviews of this!  I'm so torn with science right now.  There are several I want to use and we're not getting any done!

I emailed them to ask if they plan to offer other shipping options. You can call and order using media mail, but of course it won't be insured, and it will take an extra couple days because they'd have to take it to the post office. (UPS has scheduled pickups)

Rainbow Resource plans to carry it eventually, but the publisher isn't letting anyone else carry it the first few months.

we got our books!!!! yeah!

It was at my door when I got home!

Spent the evening reading and getting excited!

The next one will be available in Feb or March 2014.

This is great. I was going to use 106 days of creation from SCM. but I am happy with a hands on experiment book.

And I had wanted an Art through History for elementry and a friend showed me that allinonehomeschool.com has done one on Ancients, painting on rocks with wildberries ink.

thank God! I am really excited about this year.

• Like 2

How do you know? Did you get a shipping email? I ordered first thing yesterday morning and have only got a confirmation/receipt. I'm jealous that you have more information than I do.

I received a shipping notification from UPS, and I just happened to track my order.  I am in Illinois so that may be why it is so quick.

Oh my word. I have not been on the boards lately due to a super busy schedule. I come back and what do I find....a new curriculum that I really would love to get!! hahaha  I can always count on the hive to show me a new curriculum that makes me drool. :lol: I guess it's a good thing that funds are tight since we start school on Monday and buying a new curriculum would mean redoing my already made schedule. I will be watching to see what everyone says about starting this as they get it.

I've ordered it to afterschool with my son.  Two days a week? Well, if we do one on the weekend that means just finding time during the week to teach a lesson ONCE.  And if we are late... we catch up on the summer.

Meanwhile, this evening we are going to be testing and see what floats and what doesn't, after reading a cool book by David Adler that had my son wanting to "do that himself"

ordered on wed...We got our copy last Friday. (that was regular shipping.)

so far, my oldest (12th grade) and I had fun going through unit 1 (lessons 1-15) just quickly to see how they were. I've skimmed lessons.  I really am liking this.  Wile gives instructions on what to do for notebooking to keep it simple for this age group.  A few places I know I'll have to summarize the text for my youngest.   But overall the lessons are quick, info packed.  I like this: intro topic, do a demo to show it.. teach on the topic. write down (or just say out loud for youngest) something about that... close the book, move on.  let the child think on it, do it again on their own and have fun.

we all had fun with the balloon on Compact. Flor. lightbulb.  never done that one.   my oldest and I liked the light unit demos.  fun to do.   lesson 3 - make sure you do not use an LED flashlight or it will not work right.

I've adjusted some of the demos a tiny bit for when we do them with youngest.  (for example, we didn't cut the garbage bags in lesson 4, but just folded them over.  didn't have a window with direct sunlight, so we put the bags on the dashboard of the car in the driveway)  stuff like that....

overall, nice general science for elementary.   I'd probably say it's good for 3rd-6th. and then K-2nd if they are younger siblings, unless you are willing to not sweat the text with youngest.    I know me. and I wouldn't have over done the text with my oldest if she was in lower grammar stage.  So, that's the old mom in me saying wait for when oldest is in logic, and then younger sibs hang out.

lesson 11 was a lot of fun... 

cbollin: Well. I guess we'll see. My son is 1st grade this year. But last night we did an experiment about what does and doesn't float after reading the David Adler book and he really enjoyed himself. I'm trying to get him able to do more science since I know that is something they don't do much in ps and he's interested right now!

In case anyone else is thinking of trying to make it fit the classical approach, here's the comment exchange between Dr. Wile and me on his blog:

1. Literary Mom says:

When I first started homeschooling four years ago and heard you speak at a conference in Santa Rosa, CA, I was really impressed, but I thought I would have to wait until middle school to use any of your materials. Meantime, I have used all of the Exploring Creation books with my oldest (now entering 6th grade) a few with my younger ones, except chem/physics (which wasn’t out when we needed it), so I am thrilled to be able to dip into your new series this year (before my oldest moves into your previous curriculum), and am just wondering if you think my approach will work…

We use the classical method of studying a different branch of science each year. There is no Exploring Creation book for earth science, which is what we’re studying this semester, so I ordered A Child’s Geography (really a misnomer) which is recommended by Jeanne Fulbright, as well as Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space (we’ll do space next semester). What I’d like to do is combine those with the sections of your books that fit into earth science. Do you think I could make that work? Then, in subsequent years, I would again use the sections that fit with whatever branch of science we’re studying. I realize this somewhat goes against the unifying theme, but since the lessons aren’t chronological (like history), I don’t think it would necessarily be a problem. I hope you won’t either, since I already ordered your book icon_smile.gif But I do want your honest opinion.

2. jlwile says:

I think you could make that work, Literary Mom. Day 3 has some stuff about rocks and soil, and Day 4 is all space. Day 2 deals with water, which would fit in well when you are studying the oceans. Then, when you study biology, you can do the rest of Day 3 (plants) and Days 4 and 5. Then when you study light, you can do Day 1.

cbollin: Well. I guess we'll see. My son is 1st grade this year. But last night we did an experiment about what does and doesn't float after reading the David Adler book and he really enjoyed himself. I'm trying to get him able to do more science since I know that is something they don't do much in ps and he's interested right now!

sounds like he'll like it!   I know I was not a good teacher in science when oldest was K-3 ish...  I got better....  LOL

but maybe I'm just worried for nuthin'

anyone knows when the others are coming out?

book 1:   Science in the Beginning  (7 days of creation)-------------------------------------------out

BOok 2: Science in the Ancient World  (ancients to Leonardo DaVinci)------------------------Feb/Mar 2014

Book 3: Science in the 16th and 17th Centuries ________________________________???

Book 4: Science in the 18th Century-------------------------------------------------------------------???

Book 5: Science in the 19th Century_-------------------------------------------------------------------????

ETA: have you guys seen the videos on you tube? can find them on his facebook

cbollin: having gotten the book and read through the first 12 lessons.  Yes, there are parts he won't understand. But I'm looking forward to seeing how far we can get :)

homeschool kitty: He says he plans to release them at the rate of one each year but they aren't written yet so no promises.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re. shipping--contact the company.  They have been willing to work personally with other people I know to ship via Media Mail.  There is no tracking, of course, but it costs just under $4.

Media Mail is now an option in the drop down menu.  I paid $3.88.  It took exactly one week to arrive from IN to OR.  :)

Excited to jump into this new book!  :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Woohoo! That's great!

We're still enjoying it. Though today, we almost couldn't do an experiment because it involved a CFL light bulb, and we've been gradually changing over to LED as we're able. I hate CFL bulbs! But DS1 checked the back deck light, and it had one in it, so we successfully did the experiment (showing how a balloon rubbed on your hair will make the CFL bulb light up when moved back and forth near it). It was worth cleaning the cob webs off the light fixture to get to it. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have used this for a while, what do you think?  I'm still sitting on the fence and have reverted to Apologia because DS prefers it. 

Interested in hearing some more too.

We are not using Apologia, but this still has me considering going in this direction.

• Like 1

We're getting close to the end of the Light chapter. We still enjoy it. This science gets done more often than other science curricula have. :) We've enjoyed the "experiments", and the lessons are fairly short, so easy to get done. Yet my kids are picking things up from them and talking about them later, which is good.

• Like 1

We're getting close to the end of the Light chapter. We still enjoy it. This science gets done more often than other science curricula have. :) We've enjoyed the "experiments", and the lessons are fairly short, so easy to get done. Yet my kids are picking things up from them and talking about them later, which is good.

Thanks - that's good to hear.

• Like 1

How old are you kids that you are using this curriculum with ? 

I am not sure if it is too young for ds11....   :confused1:

I am ready to order it, but this is my hesitation.  Thanks!!!

You might contact Dr. Wile and ask what the recommended age range is. My oldest is 9, and he was using Apologia General Science before I got this, so he's an advanced 9 (he liked GS). He's still learning new things. Actually, I'm learning new things. :lol: For an 11 year old, I might get some books on the subject and maybe take things a bit further, but I imagine it'd work ok. But again, my oldest is 9. I haven't had an 11 year old yet, and a lot can change in 2 years!

My other kids are 6 (7 next week) and 4. Sometimes it's a bit above their heads, but they get something out of it anyway.

You might contact Dr. Wile and ask what the recommended age range is. My oldest is 9, and he was using Apologia General Science before I got this, so he's an advanced 9 (he liked GS). He's still learning new things. Actually, I'm learning new things. :lol: For an 11 year old, I might get some books on the subject and maybe take things a bit further, but I imagine it'd work ok. But again, my oldest is 9. I haven't had an 11 year old yet, and a lot can change in 2 years!

My other kids are 6 (7 next week) and 4. Sometimes it's a bit above their heads, but they get something out of it anyway.

Good idea. Thank you!

ordered on wed...We got our copy last Friday. (that was regular shipping.)

so far, my oldest (12th grade) and I had fun going through unit 1 (lessons 1-15) just quickly to see how they were. I've skimmed lessons. I really am liking this. Wile gives instructions on what to do for notebooking to keep it simple for this age group. A few places I know I'll have to summarize the text for my youngest. But overall the lessons are quick, info packed. I like this: intro topic, do a demo to show it.. teach on the topic. write down (or just say out loud for youngest) something about that... close the book, move on. let the child think on it, do it again on their own and have fun.

we all had fun with the balloon on Compact. Flor. lightbulb. never done that one. my oldest and I liked the light unit demos. fun to do. lesson 3 - make sure you do not use an LED flashlight or it will not work right.

I've adjusted some of the demos a tiny bit for when we do them with youngest. (for example, we didn't cut the garbage bags in lesson 4, but just folded them over. didn't have a window with direct sunlight, so we put the bags on the dashboard of the car in the driveway) stuff like that....

overall, nice general science for elementary. I'd probably say it's good for 3rd-6th. and then K-2nd if they are younger siblings, unless you are willing to not sweat the text with youngest. I know me. and I wouldn't have over done the text with my oldest if she was in lower grammar stage. So, that's the old mom in me saying wait for when oldest is in logic, and then younger sibs hang out.

lesson 11 was a lot of fun...

I looked at the sample. It strikes me as easy, simple, quick, to the point, and fun. I strongly believe anyone that chooses to use this will have no problem with science being done! I am seriously considering it! I may have my kids do it independently with a little guidance from me since they are older. Very excited! But now we are doing the last of all the Apologia ele. books, Human Anatomy and Physiology, just reading with no note booking or any writing,

I emailed, but then thought I would call Rainbow Resource and am glad I did. Excellent customer service!

They had someone call me back with the book in hand to answer my questions.  :hurray:  She also told me I could go to Berean Builders website where there are samples online to view.    Plus, with RR I have 30 days to return it if it is not going to work for us.  

So, I just ordered it.  Yea!!  I will post more after I get it and look it over.