Menu

Have you ever heard of taking an aspirin before a long air flight?

J-rap

My sister was on a long, trans-Atlantic flight recently, and developed a pain in her leg afterward. It gradually grew worse, and soon the pain was up and down her entire leg. Within a few days it started to ease up, but she went to the doctor anyway. He told her it was probably a blood clot she developed on the flight, that had then dissolved on its own. If that's true, then it could have resulted in something much worse and she is very lucky! Her doctor said that's why he always recommends that adults take an aspirin before a long flight. I had never heard this before, although of course I understand the concept. Do any of you do this? We go on a lot of long flights!

It is well known, that some people on long (8 to 15 hours nonstop) flights have serious problems, because they sit for such a long time. It is highly recommended that travelers get up, every hour or two, and walk up and down the aisle, if they can do that without interfering with the flight attendants, and if there is no CAT (Clear Air Turbulence). In the years I spent with an airline flight attendant, who worked on long trans Pacific and trans Atlantic flights, I never heard her mention suggesting Aspirin to the passengers. The same thing could happen to someone sitting at their computer, for the same number of hours...

I doubt that this would be a problem on a short flight (maximum 7 or 8 hours), but on longer flights, such as from the U.S. West Coast to Australia or to Hong Kong, passengers should get up and exercise, if possible. Some airlines have information on Video about exercises passengers can do while seated.

Wear loose clothing, drink lots of bottled water so you stay hydrated in the dry air, not a huge amount of food, and little or no alcohol. Comfortable loose shoes, because your feet *will* swell.

Hadn't heard of it but it makes sense and I will start to take one before our marathon flights.

On my last trans-Atlantic flight I developed awful muscle cramps in my legs and HAD to get up and move. The flight attendant recommended tonic water - the quinine relieves cramps. It worked!

DVT is quite common with long flights but the best suggestion is to make sure that the passengers walk a couple of times on the plane. Some patients shouldn't be taking aspirin without informing their docs but all passengers can benefit from drinking lots of water and walking.

yes. it's also recommended for long car trips. aspirin is an anticoagulant and can help prevent the formation of/ or reduce the size of, a clot. it is also recommended at the first signs of a heart attack or stroke.

getting up and walking around every hour or so also helps.

Besides walking periodically which many have mentioned, you can buy special compression knee socks in a drug store that help keep the blood from pooling in your legs. Additionally, there are exercises you can do in your seat to keep the circulation going. When we flew to Europe this spring, the recommended exercises were in the travel magazine that the airline puts in the pocket in front of the seat. (simple things like "marching" the legs in place, moving from heel-to-toe while seated, etc. )

Interesting to read everyone's comments. I do know about the preventative low-dose aspirin for clots in general, and also exercising during long flights, but just had never heard of taking an aspirin before a long flight. It makes sense to me. I think the fish oil is a good idea as well. And tonic water for muscle cramps! And yes, I was surprised my sister wasn't sent to the ER too. I believe it gave her a scare though and that she will be proactive about it next time she flies.

DD, the medic, has the following regimen for us when we fly to Iceland next summer.

Get up once per hour and walk the aisle.

While sitting, every few minutes, rotate ankles - a nurse at the hospital showed us exactly what to do and she said it's really great for preventing blood clots. Foot flexes too and clenching and unclenching thigh and calf muscles.

An asprin a piece before we fly and one halfway through.

Well, except me...I have blood clotting issues as in NOT clotting properly so no asprin for me and I probably won't worry about it much. Ds will be 15 so he'll be old enough to have the asprin.

Blood clots are common on Dh's side of the family, hence the asprin. Otherwise dd would be happy for the muscle exercises and a walk and not recommend asprin which isn't a wise idea for everyone.

While in the hospital for his surgeries, dad wore these contraptions on his legs that simulated the movement of walking. They were inflatables. He said they were very pleasant and I wonder if something like that would be paid for by insurance if a doctor prescribed it for those that have a significant risk. I'm not certain if they have to be plugged in though or if there would be some that are battery operated. Hmmmm....

Faith