Menu

x-post: Old Earth Creation or Theistic Evolution Science curriculum

Hi All,

I'll start with the standard disclaimer that I'm not interested in debating these topics. Rather I am interested in what science parents have used who fall into these groups of thought? I know this subject comes up from time to time. But new curriculum emerges as well as new ideas and approaches. So I'd like to hear what some of you have done as well as what may have worked well vs. not so well?

Currently we use Apologia for the elementary years. While I'm not opposed to teaching YEC as 'one' perspective on creation and origins I certainly don't want to teach it as the 'only' view. I also like the inclusion of God in Science curriculum as He is an integral part of of our lives which includes history, science and everything else. But while I've discovered an abundance of YEC and secular curriculum I find there to be a significant gap in the area OEC or TE. So I'm planning on using a mixture of secular and Christian sources for 7th grade. Still I'm curious what other may use?

Thanks,

Catholic materials are good for this, in general, since most Catholics are theistic evolutionists (like my husband and I) and/or OEC. Both Seton and Catholic Heritage have published their own science curriculum for elementary... Seton has middle school as well, and CHC is actively working on middle school (currently they have through grade 6). CHC especially is a favorite here. Otherwise, we're Ellen McHenry fans.

You're right - there is very little on the market for TE/OEC parents, regarding science. My husband is actively opposed to Apologia at home (although dd will be using their anatomy in a co-op this fall), as he doesn't believe a literal young earth view is valid and would prefer not to use a curriculum asserting as much as a core for science instruction. Kolbe does a good job of adding God into the secular texts they use (which are widely the "best of the best" in terms of public school science texts).

For our rising 7th grader, she will be doing engineering and anatomy through co-op. For 8th grade I'm planning to finish up Ellen McHenry. For high school we'll likely move to Kolbe for science.

Thanks, Sarah. This is great! I am going through the site right now.

If you figure out a way to pull those resources into a curriculum, please share! Lol. I keep looking at it, but veer from it - looks like it'll take a significant amount of time to pull together (of course, I tend to make things more difficult than they need be, lol).

Christian Schools International. There is a review of their science on Reasons.org.

Yes, I saw that publisher mentioned and am particularly interested in their Life Science text here: http://store.csionline.org/curriculum/science-2/science-student-book-life-378.html

However I didn't see their review of the curriculum, rather just a mention of it. Based on your post I looked again and found it here: http://www.reasons.org/articles/curriculum-review-christian-schools-international

Thank you. This may be just what I am looking for. :thumbup:

Serious question - why not just use an encyclopedia to cover any gaps in your core science curriculum, when it comes to a more humanist premise for your science? Most resources like Worldbook tend to default to OEC, anyway - so would it be significantly more work to add articles to your core curriculum instead of trying to shoehorn an additional curriculum to what you're already using? Just thinking out loud, here.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Our core curriculum has been Apologia up until now which has a strong YEC slant. At this juncture I would like to use other curriculum not so focused on YEC. Although as I mentioned I don't mind teaching it as 'one' view. The problem is most YEC material is heavily biased in this direction and spends a lot time attempting to debunk scientific evidence for an older earth. That is why I am looking for others.

I could just pick a secular text and add in Christian thought as others do. I will be doing that in part next year for Physical Science using both Christian and secular resources. Still it would be nice if more integrated curriculum were available, hence the original question.

We are enjoying Behold and See Science by Catholic Heritage Curriculum. They have Science through the 6th grade and are coming out with a Grades 7-8 Life Science next spring. This is the one we are currently using:

https://www.chcweb.c...oduct_info.html

I have Catholic friends who I think use this curriculum. I am very curious about a few things. Can you please tell me generally speaking how they address:

1. Age of the earth

2. Creation

3. Evolution

From my understanding most Catholics lean toward an OEC or TE view of science, origins and creation as AimeeM mentions above.

Thanks,