Menu

Dorothy Mills History

I've been planning on using Human Odyssey because I own it, but I started noticing quite a few people recommending Dorothy Mills. After reading some samples, I find that I like it better than HO which I always adequate but sort of ho-hum. I'm wondering how many that use Mills' history books are also using the workbooks published by Memoria Press and if you have found they deepen and expand on the reading?

Thanks.

I have the guide for The Book of the Ancient World. I bought it after I had spent a large amount of time writing one for Renaissance and Reformation Times and was hoping to save myself the trouble with the next book we were going to use.:) (We discovered the books by Mills when my older dd was covering the Medieval time period but was unhappy with the spine we were using at the time. We converted to DM in time for the book for the Renaissance. At the time, not even Memoria Press was writing guides for the books by DM.) I decided that the MP guide would not work for us, because at the time I needed it for my older dd was an 8th grader who needed it to be more challenging. I could have used it for my younger dd (rising 5h grader) this fall, but I've decided to write my own again. I like to incorporate primary sources. I will also have her write narrations rather than the short answer style questions in the Memoria Press guide.

I think this may be a long-winded way to say that while I think the guides are fine they didn't work for us. :)

I have started the guides for the following books by Dorothy Mills if you'd like to print them:

Book of the Ancient World (first 10 chapters) and will finish this before the summer is over.

Book of the Ancient Greeks (first 9 chapters) and will also finish this before the summer is over.

Renaissance and Reformation Times is complete.

Book of the Ancient Romans...will complete by Jan. 2014 (roughly)

The Middle Ages...will complete by June 2014 (roughly)

I will be using the books that I have not started for certain with both girls, so the guides will be completed. :) The guides are at my blog A Mind in the Light and then under Book Notes.

I have started the guides for the following books by Dorothy Mills if you'd like to print them:

Book of the Ancient World (first 10 chapters) and will finish this before the summer is over.

Book of the Ancient Greeks (first 9 chapters) and will also finish this before the summer is over.

Renaissance and Reformation Times is complete.

Book of the Ancient Romans...will complete by Jan. 2014 (roughly)

The Middle Ages...will complete by June 2014 (roughly)

I will be using the books that I have not started for certain with both girls, so the guides will be completed. :) The guides are at my blog A Mind in the Light and then under Book Notes.

Oh my goodness. What a lot of work you have done. Thank you so much.