Menu

Reading programs for right brained learners?

rowan25

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a reading program that would be good for a right brained learner? I believe my son may be one and he is struggling with learning to read. I'm thinking that he needs something more visual. Possibly All About Reading? Anything else out there?

Thanks in advance,

rowan

One thing I would do, is if you get All About Reading, get the Ziggy Games.

Have you looked into Primary Arts of Language? (PAL) by IEW. They have a reading/writing program, and the way the letters are presented is a right-brain manner. There is also a right-brained phonics curricula on Currclick.

Another option could be LLATL (but I don't think its quite "there")

Hopefully you get some more helpful answers.

xxx

Dianne Craft actually has a program called Right Brain Phonics.

I've used AAR 1 with my oldest, struggling reader with *some* success. She did like the activity pages and such, but I didn't see any better results than I did with anything else. We've moved on to Dancing Bears (just started and I'm not sure if we love it -- we like the spelling program from the same company but...)

I don't think it is that unusual (or a matter of brain side) for 6yo boy to struggle with learning to read. One day my DS couldn't learn it, and then he was ready and quickly reading. I would suggest trying CLE'S Learning to Read in the fall. I don't know if it is a right brained program, but it taught my DS to read when he was 6. It's a 1st grade program. ....... You might also consider The Writing Road to Reading manual for the Spalding method. Looking back, I wish I would have figured that out and used it all along.

One thing I would do, is if you get All About Reading, get the Ziggy Games.

Have you looked into Primary Arts of Language? (PAL) by IEW. They have a reading/writing program, and the way the letters are presented is a right-brain manner. There is also a right-brained phonics curricula on Currclick.

Another option could be LLATL (but I don't think its quite "there")

Hopefully you get some more helpful answers.

xxx

I hadn't heard of Primary Arts of Language. I'll have to look into that. And it didn't occur to me to check Currclick!

Thanks!!

Dianne Craft actually has a program called Right Brain Phonics.

I've used AAR 1 with my oldest, struggling reader with *some* success. She did like the activity pages and such, but I didn't see any better results than I did with anything else. We've moved on to Dancing Bears (just started and I'm not sure if we love it -- we like the spelling program from the same company but...)

I did come across the Right Brain Phonics book in reading, but wasn't sure if it was any good. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Take a look at the full subscription at Starfall.com, visit Click n' Read and try out the trial lessons, or maybe consider ETC workbooks or online.

The materials at Sparklebox and Sound City Reading are also very visual- you will want a color printer though!

I would look toward curricula designed for dyslexics, who tend to be right-brain learners. I don't have specific recommendations except that I've always been intrigued by Dancing Bears. There are lots of discussions scattered around here about reading curricula for dyslexics.

Take a look at the full subscription at Starfall.com, visit Click n' Read and try out the trial lessons, or maybe consider ETC workbooks or online.

The materials at Sparklebox and Sound City Reading are also very visual- you will want a color printer though!

Is the full subscription much different from the free Starfall? My son hasn't really clicked with Starfall, so I've been hesitant to check out the full version.

I haven't heard of Sparklebox or Sound City Reading. Thanks!!

Phonovisual!

http://archive.org/stream/phonovisualmetho00scho#page/n0/mode/2up

If you want, you can order color copies of the charts here:

https://www.phonovisual.com/products.php?c=1

The small vowel and consonant charts should work fine for you, then you will have extras to share with friends!

You can use with any phonics program you like, you don't have to use the program, but there are some good ideas in the book.

Phonovisual!

http://archive.org/s...age/n0/mode/2up

If you want, you can order color copies of the charts here:

https://www.phonovis...roducts.php?c=1

The small vowel and consonant charts should work fine for you, then you will have extras to share with friends!

You can use with any phonics program you like, you don't have to use the program, but there are some good ideas in the book.

This sounds great! Thank you

This sounds great! Thank you

You're welcome. Don Potter has been using the charts for years. I finally broke down and bought some, between my son and all my remedial students I got tired of saying "ee" says e, etc. Now, I just point to the chart. Much easier on me, and it makes them more likely to remember it because they have to work a bit instead of me just telling them!

My oldest son, now almost 13, is very strongly right brained/VSL/dyslexic. I spent so many years researching curriculum, books, you tube videos, lectures, etc to find a way to help him. What helped him the most was patience. I gave him a pile of audio books, and let him go at his own pace, choosing whatever books he chose. Also, initially I avoided any 'old-school' phonics teaching curriculum, thinking he needed a different way to learn. However, looking back, I wish I had taken him through a phonics program.

Right now he is using Logic of English, and is making huge strides. If I had to do it again I would start with LOE foundations, and take it as slowly as he needed. A very repetitive, structured program has shown to be the best for him- once he was ready.