Menu

Little-known, "secret" curric to try?

Sarahkay

I'm familiar with most of the curric mentioned on the boards -- solid, "mainstream" stuff like Saxon, R&S, WWE, SOTW, and so many others. All great choices I use.

But...suggest a little-known curric I'm missing out. What's under that radar that I'm overlooking? What gem is a secret find that's worth a try?

Great question!

Lots of the popular stuff is popular for very good reasons I'm sure, but sometimes I wonder if the popularity gets self-feeding. Like the blogs that have a list of "Most Popular" posts and the list hardly ever changes because having that list there makes people click on it, which keeps it popular.

The Vocabulary Adventure I have in my siggy is a math supplement, and I seem to be the only one using it. So that's very secret. Even I don't know much about it!

Meet the Masters put out by Broward county is a good free art appreciation course which beats a lot of the other popular free options, I think.

I think that those two lack popularity largely because of their poor names.

There's a lot of other random stuff I've come across as I dug deep into what's offered (lack of funds is the mother of extensive curriculum hunting?) and - eh, they weren't popular for good reasons, in many cases. But everyone has their own needs/wants I suppose.

I love the Evan-Moor brand, too, for the reasons you list above. It's a little "workbook-y" but I like that because it keeps it to a bite-size lesson. Very good for ind work, too. I used the word-a-day -- great content! I need to revisit E-M. Thanks for reminding me of those.

Keep the ideas coming....dig up those treasures for me...

Of the specifically homeschool materials I've used, Ellen McHenry's is the best. I've also enjoyed using History Portfolio, but it's nothing that you couldn't put together yourself.

Of school materials, I really like EPS (They put out the Paragraph Book, Rules of the Game, Megawords, etc...).

You can also check outside of the US for good materials -- Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, SIngapore, South Africa will all have English materials. People like Russian math and Biozone (from Australia or New Zealand). Galore Park sells some great books, but you can find other materials on (for instance) book depository.

Another alternative is looking outside of the level you're working at -- I've had good success for late elementary/middle school using community college textbooks aimed at remedial or ESL students. Or at early elementary, using materials aimed at remedial middle school or high school. Community college books can be super cheap if they're one edition off the latest, so they can be a great deal.

It's not curriculum, but rather a supplement, but I think it's easy to look over great recordings (we love them for listening to in the car). Jim Weiss (http://www.greathall.com/) is fantastic and has a lot on audio (and some are great classic books - so listen instead of doing read alouds - your child can still follow along in the book. We also love the Famous Composer CDs by Darren Henley too. And there is some great character training stuff out there too. Our library is a treasure trove of audiobooks/CDs for children, and some I can get in mp3 format via overdrive. It's a great way to sneak some learning in in the car!

Private Eye is a neat resource. It's not really a science curriculum, or language arts, or art, but it combines teaching keen observation of the natural world, analogous thinking, and creative expression in written and visual form about the things you observe.

Also not a curriculum, but the Mini Luk controller and associated books are a great way to develop problem solving, logic, visual-spatial perception, and critical thinking skills. More fun than a workbook, too.

Words Their Way is a public school curriculum/program to teach phonics and spelling that is great for those who like to find patterns, are kinesthetic, and/or visual.

Great question!

Lots of the popular stuff is popular for very good reasons I'm sure, but sometimes I wonder if the popularity gets self-feeding. Like the blogs that have a list of "Most Popular" posts and the list hardly ever changes because having that list there makes people click on it, which keeps it popular.

The Vocabulary Adventure I have in my siggy is a math supplement, and I seem to be the only one using it. So that's very secret. Even I don't know much about it!

Meet the Masters put out by Broward county is a good free art appreciation course which beats a lot of the other popular free options, I think.

I think that those two lack popularity largely because of their poor names.

There's a lot of other random stuff I've come across as I dug deep into what's offered (lack of funds is the mother of extensive curriculum hunting?) and - eh, they weren't popular for good reasons, in many cases. But everyone has their own needs/wants I suppose.

I've never heard of Meet the Masters before. I already downloaded it and it looks great! Thank you.

Roots and Fruits Vocabulary program (great vocabulary program with weekly lesson plans and lots of game ideas)

Drop Around the World and it's teacher guide (This is a great picture book to teach about the water cycle, and the teacher's guide has lots of experiments and ideas to use along with a habitat study, too.)

Grammar Cop (really funny stories to practice grammar skills and on sale for $1 as an ebook right now!)

Figuratively Speaking (I know it's recommended a lot on the board, but I thought it should be included because it is such an awesome literary term curriculum.)

Mary Ann Kohl Books (Art): Discovering Great Artists, Preschool Art, Big Messy Art, Mudworks, Math Arts.

Math on the Level

Mathstart Books & Stretcher Book

Living Math through History

KONOS (covers everything except formal LA & Math) unit studies

Let's Read and find out Science

Legends & Leagues (sort of living geography/cartography)

Business Math from Simply Charlotte Mason

Spunky Math/Studytime Math

Bright Beginnings (Preschool Curricula)

Core Knowledge Activity Books (well worth it) Preschool

Creativity Express (Online)

TV Teacher (Handwriting)

Learn Math Fast (Remedial Math or just for independant study, written directly to the student)

PCI Education Math stuff

More Starfall

AHA! Science

Sentence Family

PAL (IEW) Reading & Writing

LLATL (LA)

Wordsmith Apprentice

Dancing Bears (Phonics)

Apples & Pears (Spelling)

I love Hands-on Math (Cartoon-style book, good as a reward for kids)

Anti-Colouring Books

Connect the Thoughts

Lentil Science by TOPs Science

Myths, Maps & Marvels (free history curricula by bringing up learners)

Mott Media stuff (Ray's, Mcguffeys, Teaching Guides & Workbooks)

Grammar Punk

Let's Read Math! Funbooks

Learning Wrap-ups - Math & 10 days to (addition/subtraction/multi/div) mastery

Calculus by and for Young People (Ages 7, yes 7 and up)

Max Axiom Graphic Science Set

Bravewriter/Jot it down/new Poetry Guide

Ed Zaccaro Books (Math)

Philosophy for Young Thinkers (from same place as Michael Clay Thompson LA, rfwp)

Pink and Green Mama blog - Art Lesson Ebooks

Confessions of a Homeschooler blog - Geography, Art, and lots of other ebooks

Noble Knights of Knowledge (waldorf math, no longer available new)

Cozy Grammar (mentioned in another post above)

Tin Man Press (mentioned in another post above)

Hogwarts School of Wizardry Unit Study by the Usual Mayhem blog.

The Story of Science by Joy Hakim

Language Lessons for Little Ones by Queen Homeschool

Mike's Inspiration Station

Verbal Math Series

Living LA books (like Language Adventures book Series by Rick Walton, sample title: Why the Banana Split: Adventures in Idioms

Thats about all I can think of for the moment ;)

• Like 1

Galore Park (all their materials are solid, I especially like their English)

Dancing Bears/Apples & Pears (both by the same publisher)

GEMS

Meet the Masters

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography

The Complete Book of United States History

The Private Eye

Not curriculum, but love:

Horrible Histories videos

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

The Oregon Trail

I haven't personally tried these, but they look interesting, and may use one or more in the future:

Spell by Color

Grammar Punk

Hands On Equations

Patty Paper Geometry

Some oldschool Christian curricula

SOW Students of the Word curriculum

Teaching with God's Heart for the World

Far Above Rubies and Blessed is the Man

Landmark Freedom Baptist

Bedell

Prepare and Pray is in a class of it's own. :lol:

American School is what my oldest used, and I cannot say enough good things about his experience with the school.

Robinson Curriculum is another oldschool favorite.

Train Up a Child (Amish educational practices)

African Waldorf pdfs (Free, Christian and low income friendly)

Guide to American Christian Education was more popular before TWTM 1st edition.

Homeschool in the Woods. Their Time Travelers, Project Passport, Lap Paks, Activity Paks, maps and timeline products are educational, beautiful, and provide hands-on fun.

Spelling City. Very reasonably priced. Great way to set up spelling lists, practice tests, and spelling-related activities - all online with reports functions. They also have a mobile app for iPhone & iPad (and possibly Android).

Coursera. Mainly for older students, this site offers online classes for free from some of the world's best learning institutions.

[i copied my list of hidden resources from this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/275175-what-do-you-use-that-no-one-else-does/ ]

Word Wealth, Junior (late elementary)

Rose, Where Did You Get That Red? Teaching Great Poetry to Children (elementary age)

Perrine's Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry (middle/high school)

Scribner School Paperbacks (various; high school classics with thorough and excellent study guides)

Living Shakespeare (abridged but not adapted; late elementary or middle)

Open University Discovering Science (middle school/ early high school general science course)

I love EPS products. I know that Wordly Wise and Vocabulary from the Roots used to be very popular a while ago, but very few know about their Stewarts Englishprogram is a great way to cover grammar for middle school aged kids.

:iagree: I think EPS deserves more attention than it gets on this forum. They have many good, secular, and easy-to-use curric - Writing Skills (and Keyboarding Skills), Recipe For Reading, Megawords, and How To Teach Spelling.

Creativity Expree from Madcap Logic. $15 for a year's worth of great quality and engaging online art lessons with additional lesson plans for offline use if you choose.

Considering some of the problems people often run into with getting art done this should be wildly popular.

WinterPromise Lit Based History, Science, Language Arts (now much is available via e-Book, yeah!)

Thinkwell Math (online with lecture and interactive problems, etc).

Adaptive Curriculum Science (also online)

scholaric.com online planning software.

We just started our new school year two weeks ago so take this for what it's worth, but I really like SpellWell. We are also using Trail Guide to Learning, Paths of Exploration this year which is a full curriculum except for math.

We are loving AWOA! It's great being able to pick what resources I want to use to study each time period. We are using the Dorothy Mills books with it, and whatever we can find available for Kindle. We are skipping a lot of the grammar, but the lit is excellent for ds. He is really getting a lot out of it. I wish I had found it a few years ago.

The unit study for grades 4-8 (others with minor tweaking) called A World of Adventure. My favorite of all I have ever used.

I also love a lot of the programs pp have mentioned---Private Eye, Harmony Fine Arts (her Outdoor Hour Challenges are great---finally nature study gets done!), Bravewriter, and a few others.

My favorite discovery this year is Montessori albums. I've always been aware of Montessori homeschooling for the preschoolers, but I've been digging into it for my older kids. A friend gifted me a ton of Montessori stuff and I was instantly hooked. Is there such a thing as a Classical/Montessori homeschool hybrid? I may be one! There is literally hundreds of resources available free and for cost to have a Montessori homeschool. Most of it is a certain way of looking at education, and then quite a bit of it is using certain albums or materials.

http://www.montessoriforeveryone.com/The-Five-Great-Lessons_ep_66-1.html

http://keysoftheuniverse.com/

http://khtmontessori.com/shop/

http://www.montessorifortheearth.com/

http://www.thegreatstory.org/great_story_beads.html

http://www.montessoriforeveryone.com/Erdkinder-_ep_74-1.html

I will reiterate Evan Moor.

CLE Learning to Read, Grade 1 Reading and Grade 1 Language Arts

If I had a dozen more children, this is what I would use. I love the classroom size flashcards that coordinate with the workbooks. They can be read by wiggly children while they jump on a trampoline while you sit on a chair in the yard. Also, the phrase flashcards really jump-started my son's reading fluency.

MCP Phonics and Word Study workbooks

I like these so much better than Explode the Code. Also, in my home, they have worked as a fabulous replacement for spelling. I know my son can memorize a word list immediately, so I don't see the point in handing him a word list each week. OTOH, I do think that phonics/ word study every year has added to his reading fluency.

This year I have enjoyed the suggestions at Waldorf Inspirations.

Mandy

:iagree: I think EPS deserves more attention than it gets on this forum. They have many good, secular, and easy-to-use curric - Writing Skills (and Keyboarding Skills), Recipe For Reading, Megawords, and How To Teach Spelling.

:thumbup1:

I often wonder why they aren't more talked about. Perhaps if they had a less boring name the curriculum would be talked about more? EPS (Educators Publishing Service). zzzzzzzz

http://cadroncreek.com/narnian-era/ This is "Further Up and Further In," a unit study utilizing The Chronicles of Narnia series. I am currently using it with ds10 and it has been our BEST year ever.

http://www.aophomeschooling.com/weaver_overview This is "The Weaver Curriculum." It is a unit study that starts with the Bible and then "weaves" in everything else. We used it our first year of homeschooling, and I'm going back to it for ds10 this upcoming school year. (Volume 2)

Math Tutor DVD's.

I second (or third or whatever) the books by Tin Man Press. My kids have always loved those.

We have really enjoyed the Discovering Nature Series from Queen Homeschool Supply. My girls always ask for it when I try to skip it because we are short on time. It is quick and gentle.

Thanks for mentioning this. I hadn't heard of it before. Looks really good.

:thumbup1:

I often wonder why they aren't more talked about. Perhaps if they had a less boring name the curriculum would be talked about more? EPS (Educators Publishing Service). zzzzzzzz

Yes, ha ha! When I was new, I used to confuse them with School Speciality Publishing. :-P

Is there such a thing as a Classical/Montessori homeschool hybrid? I may be one!

Natural Structure: A Montessori Approach to Classical Education at Home

http://www.nsmontessori.com/

They used to sell printed copies of this, I have one somewhere. The link takes you to the home page, click the Natural Structure link on the right to take you to the 'book'.

I love Old Schoolhouse's science units: "The Curiosity Files". I bought them slowly when they had an online store and from their Currclick store. They just released a family library of 175 files for $25 and it includes all of their "Curiosity Files." http://www.onlypassi...lhouse-library/ I love that the units focus on unusual animals and things and that each guide has crafts and hands on activities. There use to be a facebook page for this product, but it was so dead and they eventually closed it.

I like the LA products I've tried from Garlic Press. They also have math and sign language products but I haven't used those.

For instance,

Straight Forward Grammar and Diagramming Sentences

and

Discovering Literature guides - 2 levels (My Side of the Mountain; Where the Red Fern Grows; Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH; Island of the Blue Dolphins; Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry; The Outsiders; Bridge to Terabithia; The Hobbit; Redwall; The Odyssey; Lord of the Flies; The Giver; To Kill a Mockingbird). The lit guides are gentle yet thorough, don't seem like annoying busywork, work well for a younger yet advanced reader too.