Menu

Need suggestions for a Reading curriculum?

I am considering CLE Reading Curriculum but that is because CLE has been working well with my kids. I'd like to get some other suggestions for a good reading/comprehension curriculum.

Please tell me what you do and don't like about the various programs?

If you've used CLE, what have or haven't you liked about it?

Thanks!

How about k12 literature, lightning literature or all-in -one homeschool Easy Peasy. I have used EP and love it. I signed up for free 2nd grade lightning literature. It looks great and have heard wonderful things about k12 literature. It can be purchased even if you don't take part of their online portion or use full curriculum.

I'm kind of confused. Do you want something that is just reading? Because, as best I understand, classical education would include reading books about history, reading books about science, grammar, writing, copywork, narration, dictation---but not just reading for the sake of reading, unless we're reading for pleasure, or doing family read-alouds. I don't mean to be snarky, I'm just not sure exactly what you're looking for.

I'm kind of confused. Do you want something that is just reading? Because, as best I understand, classical education would include reading books about history, reading books about science, grammar, writing, copywork, narration, dictation---but not just reading for the sake of reading, unless we're reading for pleasure, or doing family read-alouds. I don't mean to be snarky, I'm just not sure exactly what you're looking for.

That may be accurate, but not every homeschooler here follows a strictly classical model.

To the OP:

What ages are you looking for?

I love what CLE covers for reading in their program. But, my children did not like the readers. They felt the stories were too agricultural. Not all of them really were but they never seemed to have fantastical and adventurous themes either. We are trying Easy Peasy but I'm not set on it either. I think we will just read good books for enjoyment and call it good.

I think we will just read good books for enjoyment and call it good.

That's probably all you'll need. Reading and discussing will help them grow in their reading skills.

However when one of my kids showed some signs of reading comprehension issues (via end of year testing) I tried Reading Detective CDs. With multiple kids I knew I wasn't going to be consistent about helping him answer questions and showing me where he based his responses on, etc. This computer 'game' helped. I liked how it forced him to look back and highlight where in the text it answered the question.. sometime he got the answer right but the reference wrong ... so this really helped.

I am considering CLE Reading Curriculum but that is because CLE has been working well with my kids. I'd like to get some other suggestions for a good reading/comprehension curriculum.

Please tell me what you do and don't like about the various programs?

If you've used CLE, what have or haven't you liked about it?

Thanks!

I really like CLE from about grade 3 and up but the earlier grades use a lot of dictionary markings and spend a lot of time on "schwa" which drives me batty. I always end up crossing things off but that always annoys my kids. My kids have all enjoyed the readers and I think there is a lot of value in what they teach as far as literary elements and reading comprehension.

We don't use them all the time though because sometimes it feels like busy work so we dive into and out of them as we go through our years.

I was just thinking about taking the readers and workbooks and making up my own worksheets that would take out some of the parts we don't appreciate or think is necessary.

Sorry I wasn't more clear about it. I'll be doing first grade (5.5 and 6.5 yr old) and I'm looking for a reading program to enhance their reading and comprehension skills. I'd describe us as more of an eclectic family. I do love classical but we also do more traditional work.

Well BJU has a good reading program if you can stand the readers. You will find that to be true of any program you choose. No matter how good it is at teaching concepts, if your child cannot stand the stories, it is a waste of time.

By having your kids read a story then narrate back to you what they read, they are practicing reading comprehension. Mine also like to draw a picture to go along with their narrations. They dictate these to me so they are not hampered by writing skill. I chose Five in a Row just to have a more outlined plan for me.

Mosdos Press is excellent, though a bit pricey.

I have not seen LL's new lower age sets. But Free is always good. I have used LL 7 with Son 1.

I also recently (like 20 mins ago) read about Classical House of Learning's offerings that follow SOTW.

What is LL? I haven't seen that abbreviation yet. lol

What is LL? I haven't seen that abbreviation yet. lol

I believe LL = Lightning Lit.

They have a 2nd grade program, I think...

CLE 1st is fairly good, if you don't mind the diacritical marks (in the workbooks).

I've used part of R&S (Rod & Staff) 1st and I liked it also.

If your children read fairly well, I'd suggest the Storybook Treasures set from Memoria Press or the First Favorites from Veritas Press. They use real books with an accompanying comprehension/vocab. workbook.

We have 3 units left of the CLE LTR (they started this in Kinder) and I really like it as well. Just not sure what to do after we finish it.

The dictionary markings in the samples is what is holding me back from ordering the Reading. I'm not sure if my kids will get frustrated with them or get confused.

My kids just learned them. Unless you use some other program that requires different markings, it is not confusing to them. I was confused but they weren't. I just didn't make it a big deal and they figured it out. If my children enjoyed the readers, we would still be using CLE.

We tried CLE reading a grade ahead and my kids found it too hard. They are advanced readers but I understand that you should still work it at grade level. We now prefer to just read good books :) HOWEVER next year I plan to use a few lit guides so they can get more practice in literary analysis/comprehension. I bought several from Veritas Press to correspond to their age and History period.

I debated about a reading program for my first grader too. I chose the Beginning Literature guides from logos. So far I have just used them orally, but they are actually short comprehension questions for the student to write. I have been quite pleased so far.

We don't do CLE Reading 1 or 2. My DD did CLE 3 last year at grade level even though she is an advanced reader. I like how CLE teaches literary analysis in a systematic, age-appropriate way. It is SO MUCH MORE than just comprehension. CLE does not replace any other reading for us. She still reads lots of real books. CLE 4 contains half the lessons as the previous years, so it can completed in one semester or spread out over a year. I think the higher levels are that way as well.

ETA: I've used a few Veritas Press lit guides in the past, and I was very disappointed. They were just comprehension questions and projects. They didn't even have vocabulary. We used The Railway Children guide, and in the end, I had to read the book as well in order to discuss some of the richer aspects of the book, because the lit guide didn't even touch on them.