Menu

need help with a VERY loose tooth...that just won't come out

kfeusse

my almost 9 year old has only lost 2 teeth so far and right now his upper front tooth is VERY loose, but it just won't let go...but it is really bothering him...but it hurts to pull or mess with it. How can we help him out?? any thoughts for me???

What I do is tie a slip knot in a piece of dental floss and tighten the floss around the remaining root. Sometimes pulling the floss tight (tightening the loop) will pop the tooth out. Other times I'll leave it on and have the kid fiddle with it off and on all day. The other day I got my 6yo to agree to give it 100 tugs. After about 60 tugs the tooth came out.

My oldest had two stubborn ones that we eventually just had the dentist yank out (after numbing the gum).

Good luck!

When my son has a very loose tooth, periodically he comes to me through out the day and asks me to pull it out. I will tug and if it still feels too tight, will leave it alone. But when it feels like just about to come out, I'll use a napkin, grasp the tooth and yank. Usually comes out. If you give it a couple tugs and still won't come out, it's not ready. Unfortunately loose teeth are painful and an annoyance. My kiddo complains and complains until its out. In the meantime, give him some pain medicine and soft foods.

What I do is tie a slip knot in a piece of dental floss and tighten the floss around the remaining root. Sometimes pulling the floss tight (tightening the loop) will pop the tooth out. Other times I'll leave it on and have the kid fiddle with it off and on all day. The other day I got my 6yo to agree to give it 100 tugs. After about 60 tugs the tooth came out.

My oldest had two stubborn ones that we eventually just had the dentist yank out (after numbing the gum).

Good luck!

This is what my dh does. If they're fairly loose, they pop right out.

I stated early on that I would not pull teeth; I will supply apples, chewy candy, gauze, etc., but I will not pull teeth. BUT, then my son had one that was so loose it was getting stuck sideways. Someone suggested the dental floss thing others have mentioned, and now I am my son's hero. And if I can do it, anyone can. As long as you can get the floss all the way around the inside of the tooth, so it is floss to skin (root?) all the way around, and not floss-on-tooth, you can just cross the ends and pull, and pop goes the tooth. I've had them fly many feet away, but they always pop right out with no pain and minimal blood.

I would leave it.

Call your dentist, and get her/his opinion.

Or feed your child bagels, or have in jump into a pool. For us, more pressure/activity/chewing was needed.

I say this because my children have lost teeth completely after water play and bagel -chomping. ;) If you do the Tooth Fairy, a quick note can alert her to teeth location. :)

Ds had a tooth hanging on for about a month or more, driving him (and me!) crazy. He was scared for me to pull it, but finally asked me if I could pull it at night when he was asleep. I had to try a couple of times (he would close up his lips tightly when I tried, but eventually I got in) and pulled it without him even waking up. He was thrilled the next morning, and I have a feeling he will ask me to do this again! Fortunately he is a rather heavy sleeper.

After I pulled it, I regretted not doing it earlier... his permanent tooth is coming in slanted and behind it now, rather than underneath it... really it was probably like that anyway, which is why it wasn't pushing out the baby tooth the way it should. But still I wonder if it would be SO far back on his gum if I'd just gotten that baby tooth out of its way sooner. Hopefully I didn't just doom us to orthodontia!

Just don't do what dh did with ds2--kicked a soccer ball in his face. :ohmy: It was completely accidental. They'd been kicking the ball around in the yard and dh got a little too much lift on the ball and it hit ds right in the mouth. And the tooth fell out. Poor ds--this happened to him twice!

Try some oral-gel in the 'well' at the base of the tooth. Let it get numb for a bit and then twist.

My dear boy lost his first tooth a few days before his 8th birthday and then didn't lose another on for almost a year. Poor kid is 12 and still losing the early 'baby teeth'

Just don't do what dh did with ds2--kicked a soccer ball in his face. :ohmy: It was completely accidental. They'd been kicking the ball around in the yard and dh got a little too much lift on the ball and it hit ds right in the mouth. And the tooth fell out. Poor ds--this happened to him twice!

I'd totally forgotten about this, but my 9 yo had a tooth pop out when he ran into a door frame. It was not loose but was due to be pulled a couple of weeks later. Saved us $172!

My father would tie a string around it and connect it to a doorknob and shut the door. I never pulled any of my daughter's teeth. They just fell out when she was eating ... it could be bread and they would fall out. She has really small roots.

Do not just leave it. When I was young I had a loose tooth for ages - I could twist it completely around! I was too squeamish to pull it out myself, and too private to ask for help, until finally the dentist noticed, numbed the gum, and popped it out for me. All my teeth in that area are slanted because of it. Luckily the area doesn't show when I smile, but it is hard to clean, and my my face is slightly asymmetrical at the jawline (you'd have to be really examining my face to see it, though).

my son woke up sobbing yesterday...he thought he had swallowed his tooth and thought that the tooth fairy wouldn't visit him....but luckily we found it and the tooth fairy came last night....all is good in our home now.

I was all prepared to do the dental floss trick....but didn't need to...so I am keeping that in my back pocket for next time. thanks all!!!!

• 1 year later...

After I pulled it, I regretted not doing it earlier... his permanent tooth is coming in slanted and behind it now, rather than underneath it... really it was probably like that anyway, which is why it wasn't pushing out the baby tooth the way it should. But still I wonder if it would be SO far back on his gum if I'd just gotten that baby tooth out of its way sooner. Hopefully I didn't just doom us to orthodontia!

My oldest had both of her top  front teeth come in behind the baby teeth completely before the baby teeth were even loose. As soon as the baby teeth fell out the adult teeth drifted forward to right where the should be.

dudeling's teeth won't come out on their own at all - they need help.  he wouldn't even tell me baby teeth were loose.  I expect I will be paying an orthodontist for him . . . .

eat crunchy food.  i.e. carrots

tie a piece of string/dental floss around the tooth, other end to a door knob then shut the door very fast.

I'm on my fifth kid losing teeth.

sometimes they move forward ... . and sometimes they don't. 

iow: don't rely upon that.

My oldest had both of her top  front teeth come in behind the baby teeth completely before the baby teeth were even loose. As soon as the baby teeth fell out the adult teeth drifted forward to right where the should be.

I'm on my fifth kid losing teeth.

sometimes they move forward ... . and sometimes they don't. 

iow: don't rely upon that.

I completely agree. As it was, that child didn't even loose those baby teeth until she turned 8. As a matter of fact, they were the first teeth she lost. So, there is nothing about her dentition that screamed normal.  So, of course, YMMV.  

My second  kid had her front teeth turned sideways. Her orthodontist made a fortune on her mouth!

Just the other day, in the Walmart check-out line, my 5yo punched my 7yo and knocked out his loose tooth that had been hanging on for a while. Disclaimer: they were just messing around and not actually being mean! What makes the story even better is that I put the tooth in my wallet. Later that evening, we stopped for dinner at Sonic. When we got home and I dug through my wallet for the tooth, it wasn't there. Best I can figure, it fell out when I tipped the car-hop at Sonic. I sure hope it didn't end up in her apron! That would be quite the unwanted tip!!!