Menu

?s about feeding raw meat to your dog and the mess

JadeOrchidSong

When you feed raw meat to your dog, where does he eat it? What do y do with the mess on the floor? On his mouth? On whatever? How do you make sure the mess doesn't get on you, your children, or places you don't want it to be? These ?s obviously come from someone who can't picture how a dog eat raw food.

When you need a friend to dogsit, do you expect her to do this for you, or do you use dry kibble for your friend's convenience? If you feed cooked food, do you send the dog over with the cooked food to your friend's house?

I am very interested in incorporating raw meat or home cooked dog food in my dog's food intake.

We do some raw,and there really hasn't been a mess. They like it so much that the get every last scrap,lol. We just feed out of their regular bowl, with a mat under to catch anything. Our dogs stay in that place to eat, and know they aren't allowed to wander with it.

I feed my cats raw....so I cannot really answer the mess part of the question. But I have found that it is too much to ask a pet sitter to handle. So, we switch to a mix of canned and dry when we are gone. I try to occasionally feed them canned/dry when we are home so it is not a shock to their systems when we leave.

Can we have some raw food recipes for small dogs like my 17 pound dog, please? I saw this one online.

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Raw_Dog_Food_Recipes

I would like to prepare something once a week and refrigerate. No cooking makes it less consuming.

http://homemadedogfood.com/feeding-raw-dog-food/. I don't like the rice in it. I will sub with broccoli, peas, or green beans, carrots. I have to cut it to 1/5 so that I don't have to use so much room in my freezer.

If it's chopped up, there shouldn't be much mess at all. If there's leftovers then you are probably feeding too much. For pet sitters, I leave pre-measured baggies in the freezer and she gives those to the dog. He loves it frozen.

We used to feed raw, but it's been a long time since we've had the fridge space available to devote to meat for the dogs and cats. When we had a pet sitter, we always used kibble for their convenience. We either fed them outside in the yard (our dogs are indoor pets though) or in their crates when we had crates in a basement. Our animals were never visibly dirty from what they ate, and I didn't worry too much about any pathogens because my family is around enough other icky stuff (hello, chicken coop!) that it was a non-issue for us. It might be a concern if you have someone in your family who is immunocompromised, but it seems like plain kibble is just as likely to have salmonella as raw meat. And how many people worry about that?

We didn't do a "recipe," but we fed a variety of inexpensive uncooked meat, bone, fat, and offal. You can usually find a good balance by looking at the waste coming out of the dog. I really miss how much easier it was to clean the yard when we were feeding raw.

If it's chopped up, there shouldn't be much mess at all. If there's leftovers then you are probably feeding too much. For pet sitters, I leave pre-measured baggies in the freezer and she gives those to the dog. He loves it frozen.

This is how we do it for us. We prepare and measure it ahead of time and separate it into individual servings. We keep them in the freezer, and take out the day before. So like today, I will feed what we took out and thawed in the fridge yesterday, and I will take some out to thaw for tomorrow. All it requires that way is to take the baggie out of the fridge and use a spoon to mix it in with the dry food.

When I pet sat for one of my raw dogs, the owners did exactly like Tbog. The raw food was ground and shaped into patties. I fed the dog in the house--he had a bowl in the kitchen. Really quite easy.

I occasionally give my dog raw bones. He can eat them on the rug in front of his kennel/crate. If you are worried abt your dog eating on the couch, it's just a matter of training.

I just bought food that is shaped like chunks/kibble but is called raw instincts, it is actual chunks of meat. But because it is kept in the freezer (you just scoop it into the bowl and set out for 10 minutes to thaw), and viola raw food that is not messy. I don't think anyone pet sitting would have a problem with it. I suspect they would have more problems feeding the reptiles crickets and pinkies than any issues with the raw food for the cats and dog.

This is how we do it for us. We prepare and measure it ahead of time and separate it into individual servings. We keep them in the freezer, and take out the day before. So like today, I will feed what we took out and thawed in the fridge yesterday, and I will take some out to thaw for tomorrow. All it requires that way is to take the baggie out of the fridge and use a spoon to mix it in with the dry food.

That sounds very doable and little mess. I have been wanting to give raw food mixed with kibbles.

When you feed raw meat to your dog, where does he eat it? What do y do with the mess on the floor? On his mouth? On whatever? How do you make sure the mess doesn't get on you, your children, or places you don't want it to be? These ?s obviously come from someone who can't picture how a dog eat raw food.

When you need a friend to dogsit, do you expect her to do this for you, or do you use dry kibble for your friend's convenience? If you feed cooked food, do you send the dog over with the cooked food to your friend's house?

I am very interested in incorporating raw meat or home cooked dog food in my dog's food intake.

He eats the meat straight out of his bowl. The only messy part is bones. You can give those in an outside pen or while the dog is outside. Paws and mouth may have to wiped after some time with a meaty bone...