Menu

World History Detective

msjones

DS12 just started it a little while ago. I like it for him, because he enjoys history, so he doesn't mind doing it, and one thing he needs to work on is remembering to justify his statements with facts he found in a source, rather than just putting his "remembered thoughts" down on paper when he writes something for me. Even when writing from something very structured such as IEW, he wants to just fill in random unsupported information from "just somewhere I think i remember reading sometime." I'm trying to get him to understand the difference between an essay and a research assignment in terms of backing up your statements with researched facts that you can reference elsewhere, and this program makes him back up his answers from the source text. It's also just a good review, since I started him in the ancients on it, and he is just finishing up the middle ages now. For a kiddo who did not like history as much, I would probably use it more in-line with the era of history being studied.

DS12 just started it a little while ago. I like it for him, because he enjoys history, so he doesn't mind doing it, and one thing he needs to work on is remembering to justify his statements with facts he found in a source, rather than just putting his "remembered thoughts" down on paper when he writes something for me. Even when writing from something very structured such as IEW, he wants to just fill in random unsupported information from "just somewhere I think i remember reading sometime." I'm trying to get him to understand the difference between an essay and a research assignment in terms of backing up your statements with researched facts that you can reference elsewhere, and this program makes him back up his answers from the source text. It's also just a good review, since I started him in the ancients on it, and he is just finishing up the middle ages now. For a kiddo who did not like history as much, I would probably use it more in-line with the era of history being studied.

Very helpful, thank you!

I'm thinking of combining it with Story of the World for a 'history lite.' We've done so much history, that we're ready something less time consuming so we can focus on other subjects.