Menu

Do you do weekly checklists? Mind sharing?

julikins

I'm considering a form of checklist for my 6th grader next year. We'll be doing some things together (history, science, Bible, art, p.e.) but everything else I would like for her to take responsibility and ownership in the process.

Do you do this?

How do you organize it?

What does your checklist look like? Can I see? :)

I can't seem to attach what we use, but it is basically a chart with a column for each day of the week. Each subject has a box to check off when it is finished. I just put it in a page protector and use a dry erase marker with it so we can use the chart over and over again.

sample schedule.pdfThis is a draft of my grade sixer's for next year. I just run a bunch of copies, add dates and extra details in the boxes. When he completes the task he highlights the box in the highlighter of his choice. Then when the week is done, it's a nice bright page, rather than a bunch of checks and black marks. We've used something like this for a couple of years now. The younger guy I do much of the marking in, the older do their own. Oh, they keep them in presentation covers with clear fronts. The current week is on the top so that we can easily see what needs doing.

Sorry, I can't seem to upload what I wanted. It's a spreadsheet that I just converted to pdf so it's a bit sloppy.

I just started using this one and so far it has worked well: http://fivejs.com/ho...gnment-planner/

I hope that link works!

I like this one; it seems like it would meet my youngest ds's needs. I'm going to consider this for this next school year.

This past school year my dh and I thought we'd have our boys take ownership of their work by having them write out their assignments in a planner each week (instead of me doing it). I check their work throughout the week and they're responsible for getting all corrections to me by Saturday (they work to mastery). I record grades and write out any notes to them for their assignment books, and they write out their assignments, chores, and any other responsibilities they have for the following week, on that Saturday or Sunday. This way they ready for the week ahead and they know what they'll be doing. My dh and I check them to make sure everything's accounted for, but so far we haven't had to do much.

I type out what they need to accomplish each week (so curriculum gets finished by June) at the beginning of the year, and update it quarterly as needed. This is what they follow, along with any weekly notes I jot down for them (again, I find ideas and other resources I want them to use, as the year progresses).

These are the planners they use: ds (15) uses http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=604984&event=CROSSBOX, and our ds (10) uses http://shop.joannecalderwood.com/The-Self-Propelled-STUDENT-Planner-Landscape-Edition-912.htm. My ds (10) uses a planner that's not dated. He simply fills in the week and then writes out his subjects and what he'll be doing in each subject for that week.

I do like the above Assignment Sheet a lot for my youngest because I can type out the subject and basic overview of what needs to be finished (for example, read one chapter a day...) and he can fill in the details under each day of the week. Hmmm, thanks for the link!

HTH.

My 6th grader's weekly checklist is a spreadsheet with two sides. The front side has only the subjects that must be worked on every day. On the back side are subjects for which DS gets to pick and choose when he does what, as long as they are all finished by the end of the week. He's pretty disciplined, fortunately, and this bit of freedom motivates him. The reward of a light day at the end of the week pushes him to get more work done earlier in the week. I think its a good bridge towards even more independence as he gets older, because I still have control of the core subjects for now, while he gets more freedom & ownership on his other subjects.

The front side includes these daily requirements: math, grammar or vocab (alternating), writing, literature, Spanish, and daily physical exercise. The back side has all his other subjects and the related assignment that needs to be completed that week for science, history, art/music appreciation, geography, health, and logic.

Last year we used a paper copy but this year I'm transitioning to OneNote rather than a hardcopy (thanks to that great thread recently). I'll copy from a template to set up an electronic checklist for each week. He'll check the boxes on his laptop and it will sync with my version on my laptop.

We use check lists and I love them, they make lesson planning so much easier for me and the boys know exactly how much work they have to do. For us it almost like a paper version of workboxes. I have noidea how to attach them to a post but if anyone wants to see ours you can pm me your email adress and the€'ll send you them.

anyone using something like the student logbook with a younger more independent child? My son will be in 1st next year, and he is always asking what else he will have to do, and what we have going on for the day (activity-wise like sports or library activities). I've been looking for something for HIM to be able to answer these questions, mostly because i can only answer the same 3 questions so. many. times. a day, know what i mean?

If anyone has, how has it worked? Do the kids LOVE IT? Does it keep them on track? Have they been too obsessed with it? or does it end up with just another thing for mom to do?

This past year was our first year for my daughter to use a checklist (2nd grade). We LOVED it. In the first column I had listed all our subjects/books we were using for the week. On the top row were listed the days of the week, then I would fill in the grid on the computer with pages/chapters/etc. for each subject on the given days. We checked them off as she finished them. She liked having an idea of EXACTLY how much she had to accomplish each day. It only took me 5 minutes or so to put everything in the excel document and was a lifesaver. The schedule went into a three ring binder along with all worksheets/spelling lists/memorization passages. Everything she needed for the week was in one spot. On Friday I'd pull everything out and replace it with the following weeks schedule.

For awhile we were doing weekly checklists on a white board. On half of the white board, making a sort of column, I put a sticker page down so I could write on it permanently and wrote our typical tasks - one lesson of math, one page of whatever, copywork, read for 20 minutes, as well as once a week type things - watch documentary, history project, etc. etc. At the start of the week, on the part of the board that was still whiteboard, I would make check boxes. That way, the list was instantly customizable. If I knew it was a short week, less boxes. If I knew we were going to focus on something, more boxes. For tasks that were only occasional, I could put a box or not. As tasks got finished, the kids checked them off until all the boxes were checked.

I thought it was brilliant - not much work for me once I had made the boards. Customizable so I didn't have to think way ahead. Paper saving.

Eh, the kids didn't love them. We used the system for about 6 months. I think seeing all the work at the start of the week was just stressful for them. But my kids are younger. So it is something i'd like to reintroduce in a few years.

anyone using something like the student logbook with a younger more independent child? My son will be in 1st next year, and he is always asking what else he will have to do, and what we have going on for the day (activity-wise like sports or library activities). I've been looking for something for HIM to be able to answer these questions, mostly because i can only answer the same 3 questions so. many. times. a day, know what i mean?

If anyone has, how has it worked? Do the kids LOVE IT? Does it keep them on track? Have they been too obsessed with it? or does it end up with just another thing for mom to do?

It helps me keep an eye on what they all have left to do for the week, and since its meant for the student, it would help keep them on track, yes.

He could just look down the column and tick off what he has done, what he has yet to do, and what is not on that day.

My children aren't independant and two of them aren't reading yet, but they all tick off their tasks, and like to do so. I put a picture beside the words to correspond to the subject at hand, that way, even my non-readers (and my reader if she doesn't know the word, since somtimes I use acronyms) know what to tick.

We don't have a schedule at all, though, the checklist is really our only schedule (I do have the "perfect week" and "perfect day" papers in my filofax, this is more to keep me on track of what the day "should" look like, not what it does, but thats more for me, not school, as I need a goal in mind.

My girls have sick days (Diabetes), and my son has needs that mean some days its better to let him be on his own projects, so I work around his schedule, rather then fitting him into mine, plus DH works odd hours (we don't school when he's at home, 1. we want to spend time with him and 2. if we do school whilst he's there, he starts rambling over the top of me, yelling from the other side of the house, and generally being loud and distracting without realizing it, so we don't, lol.) and I have medical issues that cause us to be higgledy piggledy.

So the custom logbook we had allows us to be more flexible with our weeks/days, but still know what is going on.

There is also an "About Me" page in the back that he would probably like filling out too. My kids aren't obssessed with it, but they like it, and are happy to fill it out (well 50/50 for DS, but he's that way with everything).

Perhaps though, it sounds like you need something more like a workbox schedule. Picture Cards of events stuck onto boxes on the wall with velcro, when the activity is over with, the child can take it down and put it in the basket (or if you have the same activities every day, you could do something like the cards just turning around, like an open/close sign).