Menu

I need help with college options for me.

elegantlion

Background refresher: soon to be single mother, no college, ds has 3 more years of high school. I can't move from the region due to aging parents. I'll be 49 when ds graduates. I will have to return to work now, but need to do something once he's in college. Online education is my best option due to location, community college offers minimal options for online.

My real desire is to get a degree in something archaeology related.

University 1: is "local" about 1.5 hours away, in a crunch I could go to the campus. Good reputation and regional accrediation. They have a full 4 year degree online. Closest to a degree in archaeology is geography, which could work out as well for me. Around 375.00/credit hour, 120 hour degree, requires all the basics in English, math, history, etc.

The pro is I could get grants and loans. The con is the price (I'd probably try to CLEP or test out of a few subjects), classes are 8-9 weeks long, so it would probably take 5 years. Not really excited about taking a bunch of core classes.

University 2: International university with well respected distance study. They have a BA in Archaeology or Ancient History & Archaeology. The latter would be my interest. It's a 6 year program, with three 12 week modules per year. You only study archaeology and history subjects, no unrelated classes. Price for the BA is currently about 25k (with a glance at the exchange rate). They also offer a certificate and diploma program for completing 1 or 2 years, so I'd have something in case I couldn't study further. They also offer MA and PhD programs in case I want to go further. They, however, do not accept federal grants or loans.

University 2 sounds dreamy (sorry, bad adjective, long day), but can I even get student loans for part-time college? The prices are not set though, yet I consider a 4k-5k/year investment acceptable. What other questions should I consider? I've checked out the program some and it is the one being mentioned on the Coursera archaeology course.

Are you looking at doing this for a job or for fun? If for a job, I'd see which employers in that field would prefer. If for fun, pick whichever you prefer.

In either case, if both provide an accredited degree (not just them saying you get a degree, but something accredited), then you'll be able to "check that box" for any future job applications.

As for paying... I suspect the second option might require a "normal" loan that you use for school since the school doesn't accept federal grants or loans. I could be wrong though. I'm definitely not an expert in that area.

Are you looking at doing this for a job or for fun? If for a job, I'd see which employers in that field would prefer. If for fun, pick whichever you prefer.

In either case, if both provide an accredited degree (not just them saying you get a degree, but something accredited), then you'll be able to "check that box" for any future job applications.

As for paying... I suspect the second option might require a "normal" loan that you use for school since the school doesn't accept federal grants or loans. I could be wrong though. I'm definitely not an expert in that area.

Where would I look into normal student loans?

If you are intending to work in the field, you would want to decide up front whether the BA is enough for a desireable job in that particular field., or whether you should plan to continue your studies.

A BA in anything will give me options, whereas right now I have few - unless I want to be truck driver or a nail technician (the highlights of job listings in my town last week). Theoretically, I could get in the door in archaeological field with a BA, to progress I'd need my masters. Realistically, I am limited by location. I have to stay in the area for my parents, but I'd have more options in where to live (in a limited radius) and what job with a BA. My mom is in good health, but my dad had a minor stroke this spring and is having some issues. I am the only family nearby and am committed to live around here while they are still here. Who knows what the future holds, but ds plans to move from the area during/after college and I won't stay around here once my parents are gone. Without a degree, moving is less likely, unless I want to live in my car.

My goal is to set my future up for the best case scenario, a degree is needed for that. The worst case scenario is that I'm still here working retail with 25k in more debt, but I'd be a more interesting person and have accomplished something. If I could afford to repay the debt as I go along, I'd sign up for the 2nd option today. I have to secure a few more things before that's even a possibility though.

It is great that you want to go back to school. One idea would to be try to get some volunteer experience in archeology. This would give you an opportunity to meet people in the field and start to get a better idea about how it might work as a career. Here are a couple of places to find out about digs that accept volunteers. http://www.archaeological.org/webinfo.php?page=10016 and, with the Forest Service http://www.passportintime.com/

Most jobs in archeology require an advanced degree. Many of the entry level jobs in the field are done by graduate students and other jobs often require an advanced degree. It would be a good idea to identify some people who have the sorts of jobs you are interested in and to interview them. Find out how they got there and get their opinions about your study options.

Best wishes!

I don't pretend to have any advice. I just want to wish you the best on your journey. I will be cheering for you as you go along. I imagine you will very much enjoy college.

Thank you.

It is great that you want to go back to school. One idea would to be try to get some volunteer experience in archeology. This would give you an opportunity to meet people in the field and start to get a better idea about how it might work as a career. Here are a couple of places to find out about digs that accept volunteers. http://www.archaeolo...ge=10016����and, with the Forest Service http://www.passportintime.com/

Most jobs in archeology require an advanced degree. Many of the entry level jobs in the field are done by graduate students and other jobs often require an advanced degree. It would be a good idea to identify some people who have the sorts of jobs you are interested in and to interview them. Find out how they got there and get their opinions about your study options.

Best wishes!

Thank you, local opportunities are on my list to explore. I don't even know what sort of jobs I'd really want to do within the field, in fact I'm quite open to anything, knowing I would be limited by age and experience.

My first question would be what do you plan to do with the degree when you graduate-is your goal a job in the field of archeology, where are those jobs/ how much do they pay/ how competitive are they?

I would also suggest subscribing to some of the archeology mags- BAR, Archeology Mag, to get an idea of the kind of life, options, opportunities available in the field.

Not all archaeology jobs require a graduate degree. What seems important to get one's trowel in the trench (as opposed to foot in the door) is substantial field experience. This can be accumulated by being a field school participant or a volunteer at a dig. Document your hours. My son is building his CV by having six months in the field following the summer after his graduation with a bachelor's degree. This also helps to build a network.

My first question would be what do you plan to do with the degree when you graduate-is your goal a job in the field of archeology, where are those jobs/ how much do they pay/ how competitive are they?

I would also suggest subscribing to some of the archeology mags- BAR, Archeology Mag, to get an idea of the kind of life, options, opportunities available in the field.

I just started getting Archaeology magazine, second issue came yesterday.

I don't know about the jobs, and honestly, it could be I don't end up in the field. I have a diverse work experience from before ds was born and I topped out on two jobs because I didn't have a degree, any degree would have gotten me promotions. I'm not sure how career competitive I could be or even want to be at my age. It could be I simply use the degree to get a better paying job where you need any BA/BS to check the box. At least with the history/archaeology degree I would have studied something I'm interested in. Even as a worse case scenario, that's not too bad, imo.

Without any degree, my job options are severely limited and without a likelihood for advancement. I like retail, I don't want to be a retail manager. My goals have to be reset since this spring. I can no longer be the work part-time and volunteer once ds graduates or even now. I will be the sole support for ds and me. I'd rather have options in a few years than be stuck saying "Welcome to Walmart" when I'm 60.

The archaeology degree requires about 12 hours /week for 6 years at the part-time level. That's doable even with working for me. I certainly waste 12 hours a week now. I do need to look into opportunities in our area though.

Not all archaeology jobs require a graduate degree. What seems important to get one's trowel in the trench (as opposed to foot in the door) is substantial field experience. This can be accumulated by being a field school participant or a volunteer at a dig. Document your hours. My son is building his CV by having six months in the field following the summer after his graduation with a bachelor's degree. This also helps to build a network.

That's what I need to look into, local dig opportunities.

Where would I look into normal student loans?

Usually the school will have leads (some offer them themselves, others give references to lenders), however, with your second option, I'm not sure.

Google might be helpful, but be wary of scammers. Google any company name to see what comes up for pros/cons.

You also might try the financial aid forum on college confidential. They have some really knowledgeable folks on there - or at least they did back when I was beginning my college research for oldest.

I don't have practical advice, but would also encourage you. Looking into local digs, like Jane suggested, will put you in contact with folks who can provide you with support, information, and leads. You would be able to learn about all the different work opportunities, talk to people who do those jobs, find out what is what. AND, I can only imagine it would be super fun! I'm in a similar(-ish) situation, although I do have a job now, and have recently started looking at the little online biographies of people who have jobs similar to what I would like to do at institutions where I might like to work. I noticed that they seemed to have similar backgrounds, similar degrees. If you were working in the field, you would probably start to see patterns, perhaps, that would give you good information about how to proceed.

A year ago, when I made the decision to pursue different work and started applying for other positions, it was out of a sense of desperation and deep despair, almost a flight response to pretty devastating personal loss. Then, as I got a few interviews under my belt and refined my search, started hammering out a plan, the steps that would be required to get from A to B, I just felt so... free! Excited! Yes, I'm still burned out in my current job, still there, but I feel excited about all the possibilities rather than overwhelmed. I hope that you feel that, too, or that you begin to.

*fist bump*

I don't have practical advice, but would also encourage you. Looking into local digs, like Jane suggested, will put you in contact with folks who can provide you with support, information, and leads. You would be able to learn about all the different work opportunities, talk to people who do those jobs, find out what is what. AND, I can only imagine it would be super fun! I'm in a similar(-ish) situation, although I do have a job now, and have recently started looking at the little online biographies of people who have jobs similar to what I would like to do at institutions where I might like to work. I noticed that they seemed to have similar backgrounds, similar degrees. If you were working in the field, you would probably start to see patterns, perhaps, that would give you good information about how to proceed.

A year ago, when I made the decision to pursue different work and started applying for other positions, it was out of a sense of desperation and deep despair, almost a flight response to pretty devastating personal loss. Then, as I got a few interviews under my belt and refined my search, started hammering out a plan, the steps that would be required to get from A to B, I just felt so... free! Excited! Yes, I'm still burned out in my current job, still there, but I feel excited about all the possibilities rather than overwhelmed. I hope that you feel that, too, or that you begin to.

*fist bump*

I agree with both Jane and Nicole, dh's niece graduated in archeology a few years ago and her professor liked her so much that he calls on her whenever he goes on a dig. She's been to Egypt with him several times. She "only" has her Bachelors degree.

I didn't realize you are soon to be single. I wish you the best as you make this transition. It sounds like you have a positive outlook on things!

You also might try the financial aid forum on college confidential. They have some really knowledgeable folks on there - or at least they did back when I was beginning my college research for oldest.

Thanks, I'll look over there. Google was a bit overwhelming with choices

*fist bump*

Thank you, Nicole. It would be nice to be excited about possibilities. There's a pit between my A and B and some days it would seem easier to just fall into it and stay there.

I agree with both Jane and Nicole, dh's niece graduated in archeology a few years ago and her professor liked her so much that he calls on her whenever he goes on a dig. She's been to Egypt with him several times. She "only" has her Bachelors degree.

I didn't realize you are soon to be single. I wish you the best as you make this transition. It sounds like you have a positive outlook on things!

Thank you. Some days are more positive than others that's for sure.

ETA: I did some research on interest rates for regular student loans. If I could even qualify it pushes the total loan amount to almost double, not as feasible as doing it a bit at a time. I've looked into the payment plans for this particular school and you can't spread out the cost over 6 years. So this may be another "file for later" situation too. Thanks, everyone for chiming in.

Paula,

Have you considered looking into any of the 2yr allied health degrees? I know that is hugely divergent from archeology, but it is the path that my anthropology interested dd decided to take and she is extremely happy with her decision.

Typically the programs have required courses as pre-reqs in order to apply. In her case it was 30hrs. She had to have something like 24 hrs of shadowing hrs in 3 different environments. Starting salaries for applied health degrees are going to be much better than retail and the hrs are going to better,too, unless you want the early morning/late evening/weekend hrs. Depending on which field you go into, finding work should not be difficult.

For dd, she spent this yr meeting the admission criteria and the next 3 semesters looks are split amg coursework and practicums. Starting salaries are pretty high for a 2 yr degree.......avg around $20-23/hr for her field.

Sorry if that is not at all helpful.

Paula,

Have you considered looking into any of the 2yr allied health degrees? I know that is hugely divergent from archeology, but it is the path that my anthropology interested dd decided to take and she is extremely happy with her decision.

Sorry if that is not at all helpful.

Well someone had to mention it, right? I've considered the health/medical field, it's not right for me for a variety of reasons. Practically, I live in an area with an overabundance of experienced medical workers looking for jobs. Two nearby hospitals have been through rounds of layoffs, one recently (as we found out when my dad was in that hospital last week). Most health job listings are MD or Rn positions.

Yeah, my dd has no interest in nursing, etc. She is pursuing occupational therapy where she can work anywhere from retirement communities to working in schools vs a hospital type environment.

I hope you can find something that fits and is affordable.

Thanks, I hope so too.